COMBAT v. 3.1 (no host)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strangelove-
    I have no idea who wrote the original proposal, but the line before calls for a battle screen 15 by 15 tiles. I assume that the "5x3" spacing was for different reasons: left, center , and right flanks, and 5 types of ranges. Anyway, when you're trying to turn one of these threads into some sort of digestible format, one tend to just hope that what the author wrote makes sense w/o checking too hard (especially after staring at the screen for more or less 8 hours straight). In the end I just hope that Firaxis (or the Clash team, they've been known to peruse these threads) will find the author's point.

------------------
    Theben
    Co-Moderator of the Civ3 Forums

I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

My mistake, but I think that 50-70 by 50-70 would be more suitable.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I'd like to see a psionics attack/defence modifier in game.It would greatly improve scenario building(e.g. in Xcom scenarios) and in normal game could be used in order to justify the existance of a priest/cleric unit an added ability for diplomats and excuse for civs to brainwash their opponent armies in cities.

Comment

Also one could use it to affect his own units(with use of priests/diplomats) in order to increase their loyalty modifier and persuade them to do suicidal attacks(giving them kamikaze status,at which they would have better attack and worse defence)

Comment

With respect to the complaints that Legions should not be able to defeat bombers I've got an idea. When is the last time anyone heard of a force armed with swords, spears, or arrows taking on a modern force? it just doesn't happen. What happens when a people who lack the ability to make modern weapons fight a nation that can make modern weapons is that the less developed people adopt guerilla tactics. They lay low, steal or buy weapons, and gradually build up their strength.

I propose that military units be grouped into categories as stone aged, ancient, early modern, modern, and futuristic. Any time that a unit that is 2 or more groups more primitive than the most advanced engages in combat, the more primitive unit should have a chance of converting itself to a guerilla unit, and if it defeats the more modern unit, may even acquire the characteristics of the more modern unit. There would have to be at least 2 or 3 different types of guerilla units represnting guerillas engaged against early modern, modern, and futuristic units. Perhaps air and naval units would be exempt from the rule allowing the primitive unit being able to acquire its characteristics, though they should be able to defend themselves on the appropriate guerilla level. It might be considered that if the primitive unit is 3 levels below the more modern unit its chance of converting to a guerilla should be reduced. Anytime that a unit facing another that is 2 or more levels advanced, if it does not convert to a guerilla, it is automatically eliminated unless the more modern unit is an air or naval unit, in which case it takes hits without hitting back.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

A very good idea.I also think that,say, ancient units should be totally unable to attack certain series of units(e.g. aerial units).Last time I checked it was pretty difficult for a spear to reach flying things more than several dozen feet high!

Comment

City Walls & other city fortifications:

If hit they have to use production(shiels)to repair their damage[would give more interest in combat if you have to use part of your production to defend yourself instead of using it entirely to produce armies, if you're sieged].By the way sieges would be better potrayed like this IMHO: a city is say a square big.In order to siege it, you should have a MILITARY unit in all 4 sides round it(popup:you have the ability to siege this city,Y/N?).This is after all the meaning of sieging a city:having the city in question cut off on all sides from comm's,supplies,reinforcements,etc.
                It is simplistic(again IMHO) to put a unit on top of a city and siege it this way(furthermore i don;t think it can be done without it being destroyed or the city taken).

Comment

Working...
                X