X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominae
    replied
    Originally posted by bongo
    The AI can irrigate everywhere, even before electricity.
    I'm quite certain that this is false.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. A. Cula
    replied
    There's something about that coast line that made me think. Without irrigating that tile, try moving your worker 8 of where it is now and see if you can irrigate that one. I might be wrong, but the game might consider the blob of water 9 of your current position to be a lake. I have seen such lakes in a lot of my games, since vanilla Civ3 to PTW 1.21f.

Leave a comment:

• bongo
    replied
    Well, if you can place a city there, why not using the tile as a link in your irrigation network?

I like it, it helps the human a bit. The AI can irrigate everywhere, even before electricity. Which gives the peculiar strategy of waiting to capture a dry area until the AI has started with irrigation there...

Leave a comment:

• MrWhereItsAt
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian
    Yes, I can confirm it.

You can irrigate through a city built on a hill in Conquests.

I was rather surprised to find that out myself...

-Arrian
    Surprised?

I was surprised when I read that you were surprised, especially since I clearly remembered a PtW game (v1.27f) where I did exactly this.

Luckily I found the save, and after pillaging the irrigation that I had just set down through the hill city some turns earlier, you can clearly see that the worker can irrigate that grass tile. There is no nearby water except the coast, and I am on Printing Press (so no Electricity!). The game has not been modded in any way.

In fact, when I started searching for the save, I thought that perhaps this 'bug' had been in v1.21f, and been changed for the latest version. However, in whichever version I started this game in (99% certain v1.27f, remaining 1% chance of v1.21f) it was possible to irrigate through hill cities, and it is possible again when loaded into PtW v1.27f.

Any explanation to this, or has it ALWAYS been possible to irrigate through Hills?

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kuciwalker
    replied
    I don't see any reason for it to be one way or the other.

Leave a comment:

• ToeTruck
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the confirmation and comments. I just wanted to make sure that what I was seeing was indeed a general feature/bug and not unique to my specific situation.

Personally, I kind of like the old way. It makes the game more interesting (in my mind at least) to have the extra challenge of "dry areas". Also, there are enough things in Civ3 that promote artificial city placements as it is.

I will take advantage of it while its there, though.

Happy Holidays.

- TT

Leave a comment:

• SirOsis
    replied
    Originally posted by Snotty
    Im in a 80% islands pbem at the moment and have a whole bunch of plains that could do with the water. If only it weren't for that pesky hill
    I don't know why you're complaining. At least you HAVE water! Water is very scarce in that game.

Leave a comment:

• Dis
    replied
    Yep. The Aztecs start on a hill.

But I always thought you could irrage over if you built your city on a hill and the hill is only 1 tile wide (ie you have plains/grassland on either side).

Leave a comment:

• Nor Me
    replied
    Originally posted by alva
    Thanks.
    Could be quite usefull on certain (badly generated?) maps.
    It's quite useful for the Aztecs and Maya in Age of Discovery.

Leave a comment:

• Snotty
    replied
    Im in a 80% islands pbem at the moment and have a whole bunch of plains that could do with the water. If only it weren't for that pesky hill

Leave a comment:

• alva
    replied
    Thanks.
    Could be quite usefull on certain (badly generated?) maps.

Leave a comment:

• Catt
    replied
    Originally posted by alva
    It's another of those bugs that were fixed somewhere in PTW but have appeared again in C3C for whatever reason.

Catt

Ahh, so it is a bug and not by design?
    I guess I'd probably agree with ChrisiusMaximus that it seems an interesting design decision (provided the AI could utilize it effectively).

But I think it is most probably a bug -- it cropped up in PTW (perhaps the release version) and was changed back to the "no irrigation" functionality we're used to in a subsequent patch.

Catt

Leave a comment:

• alva
    replied
    It's another of those bugs that were fixed somewhere in PTW but have appeared again in C3C for whatever reason.

Catt

Ahh, so it is a bug and not by design?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisiusMaximus
    replied
    It makes perfect sense to me and see no reason to change it. Would'nt a city have a means to move water from one side of its sprawl to another?

Leave a comment:

• Nor Me
    replied
    I was surprised by this too. It can be quite useful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X