GA-Triggering Wonders by Civ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Triggering Wonders by Civ?

Hey folks, gotta question and this is the place to go, so...

I know that wonders trigger GA's for various Civs, based on the attributes of the wonder, and the Civ in question. I've also noticed, though, that it seems like certain wonders that qualify *ALWAYS* trigger it, and others that, according to the Civlopedia should qualify to trigger a GA don't....ever...?

So effectively what I'm asking is this... do certain wonders always in fact trigger a GA for specific civs (or specific attributes?) and do other wonders never do it, despite apparently qualifying for it, or am I simply losing my mind and the victim of freakish luck.

As an example: Carthage would seem to qualify for a GA off of the Hanging Gardens and the Great Wall. But I've seemingly never gotten one from the Gardens, and I always seem to get one from the Wall.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Gratzi.
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

I call this stupid luck: playing as the Germans, I triggered a GA by building Shakespeare's Theater. Too bad I didn't keep that save.
    The monkeys are listening.

Comment

GA

Each civ has two traits, and each wonder has one to three traits (Colossus has 3, for example, 1 not mentioned in the civopedia). (The Internet effectively has all traits, triggering a GA by itself for any civ)

To trigger a GA, the game checks every time you *BUILD* (not capture) a wonder to see if now you have wonders that cover both of your civ's traits.

So if you're China, Mil and Ind, and build Great Wall, which is Mil and Ind, boom, instant GA. Similarly Colossus for Arabia. China could instead trigger it by Hanging Gardens (Ind) and SunTzu (Mil).

If you 'capture' a wonder such that now you have both traits covered, the game won't check until you build another wonder, any wonder. So if China captures the Great Wall, they will get a GA when they build any wonder (assuming they still hold it).

There's no luck involved at all. Shakespeare is traitless, but that means the warmongering Germans had captured one of something like Great Library (Sci) and SunTzu (Mil), which covers their traits.

Charis

Comment

[Edit] I removed my post because, er, Charis explained it much more eloquently, not to mention correctly, than I. Hee.

Comment

I see. My last war did, indeed, bring me 3 or 4 wonders, I don't remember which.
          The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Exact
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

BTW I thought Shakespeare's Theatre was commercial?
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Okay, now I'm confused... I played a game tonight as Carthage, and built the following wonders, in this order.

Pyramids- no GA triggered.
                Hanging Gardens - no GA triggered.
                Great Wall - no GA triggered.
                Great Library- no GA triggered.
                Great Lighthouse- GA finally triggered.

Other times though, I've had the Gardens trigger a GA when the only other wonder I had was the Oracle. Are the traits a wonder covers the ones it refers to when it says "May trigger a Golden Age for BlahBlah civilizations?"

I'm too lazy to go back into the game and check right now, but you mean to tell me that the Pyramids, Gardens, Wall, and Library- NONE of those had Commercial? Oish!
                Friedrich Psitalon
                Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Carthage is Commercial and Industrious...so you need these two traits to be covered by wonders:
                  Pyramids: ind.+rel.
                  HG: ind. --->you now have two wonders that cover industrious but none for comm.
                  GW: ind.+mil
                  GLib: sci
                  GLight: exp.+comm
                  with Lighthouse now covering your second trait, the GA is triggered...
                  The other report about HG triggering your GA...is it possible you either built or conquered the Collossus before -IIRC, the Oracle is just rel.?
                  www.civforum.de

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                    BTW I thought Shakespeare's Theatre was commercial?
                    IIRC Shakespeare's Theatre is the only GW that is not linked to any civ trait at all. However it can trigger a GA if you build or capture a GW for one of your traits, capture a GW for the second trait (which won't initiate the check for a GA) and then build Shakespeare's Theatre which does initiate the check for a GA even though it doesn't count itself. The game finds you control GW's for both your civ traits so you get a GA.
                    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Shakespeare's should trigger a GA for somebody! I mean, just making it add content citizens is stupid. Maybe making it a more cultural Wonder...
                      Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
                      Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

Shakespeare usually results in a semi-permenant WLTPD in the city in which it's built, which greatly helps reducing shield waste.

The other major use of Shakesphere is that of the middle age wonders, it has the highest cultural value. The is useful not only for those seeking to win via culture but also for war monglers by increasing your cultural ratio, increasing the speed at which resistors are put down and reducing the risk of flips against you.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                        X