• Show
Clear All

• Paddy
    replied
    cheers mate

Leave a comment:

• rob006
    replied
    hey everyone... sorry i havent been on in a while.... im sooo bogged down with work and school that i havent had much time for anything else. and what time i do get, i try and spend with my gf....but i have this story in the back of my mind.. i just need a time to get it onto paper, and then in here.... be patient. l8er

Leave a comment:

• rob006
    replied
    hey guys, sorry i havent posted in nearl a month (i think ) but right now i am swamped with work and church (VBS!) but both are slowing down and i should be able to get some more of this to you guys soon. Ive already got part of this section finished in my head, i just need to get it on paper and then here! well, l8er guys

Leave a comment:

• DarkCloud
    replied
    Finally got a chance to read the last section- that bit with wilhelm, mate- that was classic!

Leave a comment:

• Grandpa Troll
    replied
    rob006

Keep it coming, many read when time permits, many are just bogged down with life, but as I am not of the top shelf caliber of writer, I have resigned myself to write as a hobby and self satisfaction..and yes affirmation is a nice bonus, but please continue as many enjoy and as Paddy so eloquently put it, lurkers also enjoy

Gramps

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    thanks mate

Leave a comment:

• rob006
    replied
    Chapter 4

After being in the shadows for over a month, i now present chapter 4 in Germany Falling. (and thanks for all the kind words everyone)

Chapter 4

Rally the Nation

“People of Germany.” The German Chancellor breathed heavily, “I come before you today with a heavy heart & deep sadness. Last night at approximately 11pm Berlin time, Germany undertook the largest aerial offensive in history, codename Operation: Eagle. The operation consisted of mass bombing raid concentrated on our enemies front lines and command posts, and precision strikes to knock out supply and communication lines. But it was also the largest military disaster in history. 80% of our planes all over the world were lost. Thousands of brave, young German pilots were shot down and either killed, or captured.” Bismark himself had to fight back the tears. “This war was already destined to be difficult, more so than the entire Age of War. And now, it has taken a turn for the worse, we have lost control of the skies, and the ability to strike deep into enemy territory. But I tell you, not trying to impress you, not as Chancellor, not even as a friend, but I tell you as a German citizen, that GERMANY WILL PREVAIL!! Germany has been under attack many, countless times in the past. In ancient times, the Dutch pushed to the outskirts of Berlin, the Vikings pressed our borders and threatened our colonies. But look at a map! The Dutch were assimilated and the Vikings were defeated. So I tell you, as a fellow German, call upon the strength of past generations. Receive the strength of past warriors who pushed the Dutch from our Fatherland! Receive the courage of stranded German archers and swordsmen who were outnumbered and surrounded by Viking Berserkers, who still fought and won against all odds! Fight like these men, not for me, not for the government, but fight for the Fatherland! Fight for GERMANY!!” Bismark ended his speech with a flourish, bringing the live audience to their feet and instilling great patriotism in every German, not seen since the Age of War.

Over the next month, enlistment for every branch of the armed forces doubled, then tripled, but still it was not enough. Germany was still losing, Half of England was under Persian control, and the Arabs and Zulu were making advances in the Netherlands, but were stopped for the moment at Amsterdam. Portugal marched on Cologne. The Celts destroyed the Frankfurt canal and had crossed the land bridge, heading for Leipzig. A large offensive was being planned, Richtofen’s 4th Army was given orders to hold the Portuguese at bay, and a small band of downed pilots fought a Guerilla war in Leiria....

After a month of living secretly in the sewers, Wilhelm was beginning to walk again. Painfully and slowly, but it was still progress. He just sat and stared at a stolen heater, thinking of better days long since passed. He saw his wife, and walked with his kids from their bus stop, holding the youngest ones hand. “Daddy. My teacher talked about planes today. I told her you flew planes that shooted people.” Wilhelm laughed at the child’s innocence.

“What did she say?”

“She said that you must be in the mil.. milia... miliatree..”

“The military?”

“Yeah, that’s it!”

“Wilhelm.” It was his wife. The sweet voice of the woman he loved more than life itself.

“Wilhelm?” Her voice was slightly different... what was wrong?

“Wilhelm?” He was being shaken, not violently, but as if someone was trying to wake someone who had fallen asleep.

“Wilhelm!” He snapped back to reality. It was Heinrich.

“Huh? What’s up?” He finally said, realizing where he was.

“Uh... its time to move out. A small Portuguese squad is moving to attack a group of resisters, we have to help them.”

“Oh, yeah... ok. Let’s move.” Wilhelm stood uneasily at first, but quickly regained his balance, and hobbled away following his friend.

Leave a comment:

• cbraund
    replied
    Good story, nice buildup. Interesting to see how Operation Eagle was compromised...

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    indeed we do Rob, indeed we do.

and we want more....

you have a thirsty audience matey

"on behalf of all the lurkers, bring it on !!!!"

I enjoy your style

Leave a comment:

• DarkCloud
    replied
    rob- I know, it's sad and discouraging when no one writes in- the stories section is a vast wasteland nowadays.

the main benefit in writing is to pleasure yourself and improve/craft your style.

However it does help when people give feedback because it makes people feel wanted.

I would make comments now, but I don't really have time to read the tale yet, but I'll bump this for you and wish you the best of luck.

And by the way, if you didn't notice, your first tale was nominated in the Stories Contest thread, so obviously someone appreciates your work!

Leave a comment:

• rob006
    replied
    where is everyone? over a week and no comments? c'mon ppl....

Leave a comment:

• rob006
    replied
    Chapter 3

hey all... after much struggling, i have overcome a severe case of writers block and i now present chapter 3 of Germany Falling...

Chapter 3

OPERATION: EAGLE

“We are locked on. Target confirmed. Preparing to drop.” The pilot of the stealth bomber went though the normal list of commands and sequences required to drop several tons of high explosives on his enemy. He looked out over the horizon and saw only inky blackness except for the few fires the Portuguese left unattended. Looking side-to-side he couldn’t even see his fellow bombers, yet he knew they were there. The low-profile design of the plane and the pitch black color made it virtually invisible a night. He was on the point of this areal spear, consisting of 100 bombers preparing to strike the Portuguese HQ in Leiria. It had been less than 5 hours since the fall of Brandenburg and the order had come. Ever German pilot in the Luftwaffe had been training for days for this, the largest areal attack in history. Every bomber in Germany’s arsenal was called into action, even the old prop bombers such as the Junkers 88 and Stukas. But Portugal wasn’t the only target. Every front line would be hit and every enemy capital would be bombed. Stealths based in Egypt would hit the Sumerian, Zulu, Arab, Babylonian, and Persian capitals. Others in Germany would hit the Celtic, Spanish, and Portuguese capitals. And still more bombers would hit their armies’ main bases of operation. For this pilot, he was sent to bomb the Portuguese base.

“Dropping in 5.... 4... 3... 2... bombs away.”

The Vengeance guided bombs fell by the dozens from the bottom of the plane. Each one falling over 50 feet before the guidance system would kick in. Over 3 tons of modern conventional weaponry screeched towards the unsuspecting invaders. In the time from the drop and the hit the planes had enough time to turn around and begin heading home, however their orders had them stay and confirm the hits. The seconds passed like hours until finally.... the entire Portuguese base disappeared in a white-hot flash. A few bombers had been ordered to hit secondary targets such as the barracks, the rail station, and the airfield, all of which went up in the same manner as the main base only seconds later.

“Direct hit! We have confirmation! All intended targets destroyed!” The pilot was so filled with pride and adrenaline that he never saw the tracer following behind the anti-air missile that was streaking towards his plane. The plane was hit perfectly in the underside, blowing a whole all the way through, ripping the entire rear of the plane away, sending the remains towards the earth. The fire spread quickly through the cockpit, searing pain was racing through the pilots body, with only one thing running through his mind... survive. After a second of instinctual thrashing around his training kicked in. He reached to his side and hit the eject button with all his might. He was torn away from the twisted wreckage so quickly that even the fire on his pants leg was put out. He knew he was hurt, and that walking would be a terrible experience, but he was alive... he thanked God that he was still alive.

As the pilot fell to earth, slowed by the auto-deployed parachute, he finally began taking in the scene around him. His fellow bombers were being decimated just as he was. AA missiles flew through the air, sometimes hitting an already free falling plane. He could see other pilots hanging in the air by parachutes. At least 20 in the same situation as he. He was almost entranced by the horrific spectacle that was modern warfare. As the trees came into few below him he was jarred back to reality. “Dammit, im still in Portuguese occupied territory aren’t I?” he thought. He hit the tree branch hard sending more pain into his already burned legs. The seat caught on the branch and he sat there almost as if the seat was made for the tree. But it wasn’t, slowly his weight bent and buckled the small branch and again he fell, quickly this time as the parachute was resting in the tree top. He didn’t have far to fall however. The ropes holding the seat to the chute quickly went tight and he swayed in the air hanging from the tree like a pendulum. He realized he was still at least 20 feet in the air. He made a hard call and he released his seat belt. He hit the earth hard on his right knee, twisting it sideways. Walking would be almost impossible now. He cried out to the night in pain and in anger. And then he blacked out.

He came around in a very uncomfortable position. His head was on his severely twisted knee, with the bottom portion of that leg bent out at a perfect right angle away from him, his left arm was tucked tightly under him, and as he came fully aware, he realized how tightly. A searing pain shot up his arm and into his neck, he was pinching off some nerves. He flung himself back and lay there in the grass staring at the sky. It was daytime, at least 10 in the morning, but he didn’t care. He only wanted to be home.

Suddenly he heard gunfire. It came from his right and was growing in number and intensity every second. He grabbed his pistol from his hip and pulled back the slide, ready to fire if the enemy found him. As he looked around though, taking in his surroundings he noticed he lucked out on where he landed. He was in the center of a small clearing not 10 feet wide surrounded by tall shrubs and trees. He moved slowly, ever so slowly to th closest edge and spread the bushes so he could see.

He saw black, flaming metal, bodies and more flaming metal. The crew of a stealth didn’t make it out in time and were hanging out the shattered canopy of what remained of the plane. Then he saw the source of the gunfire. Some German pilots were taking cover behind a large tree across the road and were being shot at by some Portuguese troops farther up the road. From what he could see, there where 5 pilots and only 2 Portuguese. However the Portuguese had them pinned down with their automatic rifles, compared to only the handguns of the Germans. The pilot raised his pistol and aimed at the head of one of the Portuguese. The bullet slammed into the tree next to the enemy sending splinters flying and the Portuguese into cover. The surprised German pilots snapped their heads in his direction and instantly recognized him as their own. The pilot continued to fire every few seconds, keeping the enemy pinned while another 3 Germans moved through the woods to outflank them. 3 bullets... 2 bullets... 1 bullet... he was empty. He began reloading but the Portuguese knew he was empty and popped up to press their advantage. However, the 2 Germans who remained behind the tree still had fresh clips and both fired in unison. One enemy was thrown back 3 feet as several rounds slammed into his chest. The Germans continued firing, allowing time for their comrades to out flank the enemy. After a few more rounds it was done, the ‘missing’ 3 Germans reappeared on the last Portuguese soldier’s right and fired at virtually point blank range into his side, neck and head. The skirmish was won and the Germans would live for a little while longer. The 5 other pilots ran over to look over their wounded friend after scavenging what weapons and ammo they could from the dead enemies.
    The pilot recognized them immediately. Heinrich, Walther, Johann, Christoph, and Hermann. All buddies from the academy, all close friends, all still alive. Johann spoke, “Wilhelm! What the hell happened to you!? You look like you survived a plane crash! Or perhaps didn’t!” He could always find some humor in any situation. Hermann knelt close. “Wilhelm, almost every plane was lost. I’ve been listening to radio chatter all morning... it’s the same thing all over the world. Everyone knew of Operation: Eagle. Someone leaked the information out to the enemy. The Operation is a complete failure. The worst military disaster in German history. We have lost control of the skies, and our enemies know it. But for us it’s even worse. We are still in Leiria. The Portuguese are looking for survivors and are executing any they find. We have to move... can you walk?”

Wilhelm was in a state of shock nothing compared to. The mission was a failure. He was behind enemy lines, wounded, and dazed, he doubted he would live to see the next day. “I don’t know... someone help me...” Walther and Heinrich came on either side of him and lifted him up. The world began to spin. “Put me down! I’m dizz... diz..di..” Wilhelm fell from his friends’ arms face first into the soft dirt. Unconsciousness slowly creeping back onto him. His last conscious thoughts were of his beautiful wife, Brittany, back home in Munich, and his four kids. Tears formed in his eyes as he thought about leaving them forever. How he loved them. He would have given anything to be in his wife’s arms again. Anything. Her soft face filled his mind’s eye as he again succumbed to unconsciousness.
    Last edited by rob006; May 23, 2005, 06:17.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    thanks mate

Leave a comment:

• rob006
    replied
    thanks much vovan. this is gonna be a long story hopefully. im beginning chapter 3 now... once i get started on this story.. it wont let me go! lol. well l8er all

Leave a comment:

• vovan
    replied
    Ah, rob, I see you have yet another good story in the works! Any more goods forthcoming on this one?

And rob, no need to worry about being late. Write at your leisure. It's all about having fun. If we get another update, we'd be glad, if not, that's ok, I can certainly understand writers' block all too well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X