Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferdinand of the Artillery (Frog Stomp Diaries)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ricketyclik
    replied
    Those serfs need to be shown what's good for them. Think of it more as gentle guidance.

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    The cause of imperialism?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Masuro
    If I tell you what I'm doing in this story I'll be having problems in the game. There needs to be a delay.
    I am shocked that you would think such things of your allies

we be faithful to the cause

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    July 26th

I still wonder why the King gave those cities to the English, the Prussians, and the Russians. Especially the Russians. I don¡¯t think their lust for more territory will be sated with just one city. Maybe it¡¯s because they¡¯re so cold and they¡¯re looking for warmer places to live. But then why are they looking at Sweden with wolf¡¯s eyes? Strange.
    Anyway, I¡¯m glad the king gave away those cities. I think it¡¯s our peninsular psychology. We want to feel safe and isolated behind the Pyrenees. Perhaps the king feels adrift and surrounded past the mountains.

August 5th

I¡¯ve made a decision to leave the artillery and join the infantry. Blasting away from behind the lines seems a bit cowardly now, even though I know the artillery is necessary in warfare. My unit commander has told me to wait until we¡¯re back in Spain before switching. He says I can get proper training there. I¡¯m looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    If I tell you what I'm doing in this story I'll be having problems in the game. There needs to be a delay.

Leave a comment:

• Aqualung71
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
    yeah some more please
    Yes, we need some more intel on the inner workings of the mad Spanish King's mind

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    yeah some more please

Leave a comment:

• Aqualung71
    replied
    Originally posted by Nylan-Nolan
    good, very good. Im anxious for more.
    You should also try to read this in the context of the actual PBEM game (if you're not already), since Masuro is weaving some of our international diplomacy into it.

This is the thread, from where the war diplomacy gets interesting.
    Last edited by Aqualung71; September 1, 2004, 21:25.

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    Thanks. I've been getting a bit slack about it. I should make more effort.

Leave a comment:

• Nylan-Nolan
    replied
    good, very good. Im anxious for more.

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    July 24th, 1804.

It has been a whirlwind few months rushing across Europe. We finally got to Paris only to lose it to the Ottomans. Now we are finally returning to Spain but, says the sargeant, possibly not to return to our fields and homes. He says there is strange trouble brewing amongst the allies . . . .
    In any case, the king has divided all the cities we took in France amongst the allies. Perhaps he thinks this will satisfy their desire for more land.

Leave a comment:

• Aqualung71
    replied
    Ferdinand has been very quiet lately and his letters to his neice Maria in St. Petersburg have not arrived for many a month. I think the poor man must have been killed in the recent battles.

Lovely girl, that 14 year old Maria....married off to the Czar's uncle.......

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    June 25th, 1803

Two months and nothing has happened. Some of us have taken to helping the local farmers when we are not on duty. Our commanders approve but tell us not to go out alone and not to go far.

June 27th, 1803

The Turks have razed Lyon!!!! A good thing we got to Valence before them. How cruel . . .

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    March 4th, 1803

Time moves on and nothing happens here in Bordeaux. The locals have accepted our presence, I think, and some are even glad to be rid of Napolean. Though I think they would also like to be rid of us. Tobacco is a bit scarce but luckily last year¡¯s harvest was good and we are not short of food or wine.

The French have not attacked this city since we took it and I imagine they are pressed elsewhere. Possibly they are concentrating their efforts on holding Valence or defending Paris. I wonder, not for the last time, whether or not I will see any action this war. To tell the truth, I¡¯d like to just go back to my father¡¯s farm. It¡¯s almost time for planting.

April 19th, 1803

Today a man climbed the hill up to out unit of cannons and introduced himself. It turns out he is an artillery engineer from the 1st Army. Of course, we were all anxious to know what happened at Valence. After we offered him our last bit of tobacco and some Bordeaux wine and cheese he told us something like the following story.
    ¡°Well, there we were parked next to Valence with the Turks and the British also sitting nearby. The Turks looked eager to throw themselves into Valence and pillage it but the British just lazed around and sure enough, after a few days they packed up and marched north towards Lyons. Our commanders were nervous about the Turk eyeing Valence so greedy-like so it was decided that we would try to take it first. As commander of the 1st Artillery it was my job to start the attack. When the French saw us getting ready to attack they lined up their cavalry outside the town to charge us. As soon as the French commander yelled ¡®charge¡¯ we let loose with our shot. Our cavalry and infantry stood behind us so we had a clear line of fire. We used lots of little cannonballs instead of large shot and it tore the incoming horses and riders to shreds. The couldn¡¯t get more than halfway to us because dead horses were piling up and making it impossible to pass. Seeing that the French were unable to charge, we sent in our own cavalry. They charged up to the pile of dead and shot over it into the confused French army. Without losing hardly a man or horse we slaughtered all the defenders of Valence and marched into the city. It was horrific, beautiful, and absolutely amazing all at the same time.¡±
    So that¡¯s what a battle is like. The engineer left us after telling his story and smoking a few more pipes. He said he was on his way to the capital to help design new ways of using artillery in battle. The king said his experiences and expertise would be invaluable in helping to win the war. Could I ever have such an honour, I wonder?
    A few cavalry reinforcements have arrived but certainly not as many as we need. Is there a problem back in the homeland?

Leave a comment:

• marcuspeddle
    replied
    As soon as Ricketyclik sends the turn round

Leave a comment:

Working...
X