Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of a name is Contaginon for a Palace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of a name is Contaginon for a Palace?

Seriously, would you want to stay in a palace named Contaginon? We need to discuss and decide on a more suitable name for our Forbidden Palace site.

Especially since Contaginon is OPD's misspelling (remember the Gazette article about that ) for "Contagion", which means disease or epidemic... (he named it at the same time as he named "Bacteria" )

Alternatively, "Contagion Theory" was a sociological theory developed by Sigmund Freud and others which asserted that rioting crowds (in their opinion) acted entirely irrationally and that the irrationality of crowd behavior spread "like a disease"... The theory is wrong, of course, but that's beside the point.

So, take your pick, our palace either stands for:

1. Poor spelling
    2. Disease
    3. Rioting

While this may be appropriate for the former Persian centre of commerce and trade, it's now been an Apolytonian occupied city for some time and deserves a better name.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Name proposals:
      Aggopolis (After Aggie)
      Luxor Palace(Egyptian AND connotes the fact that we took this area for its two luxuries)

For the following poll of choices for new names, I propose that any name suggestion must have TWO citizens other than the one who first proposed it express their support for the name in order for it to be placed on the poll.

Comment

It could be our "Forbidden City".
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

After the Persian War, I had wanted to name one of those cities Aggopolis, so I wouls call that a second.

E_T
          Come and see me at WePlayCiv
          Worship the Comic here!
          Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

"WhereItsAt"

'cause that's where it's at

-------------------------

Yeah, I know... Still, it's fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
              "WhereItsAt"

'cause that's where it's at

-------------------------

Yeah, I know... Still, it's fitting.
              We have too many silly named cities like Here It Is, Port Where Its At, and Its A Pizza already.

Comment

The Forbidden City
                I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I recall that Aggie refused that his name be given to a city; he said that he was enough honored by the glory of our armies, which is extreme modesty on top of extreme pride.

I suggest for the very specific case of Aggie that we make a thread titled ARC DE TRIOMPHE (Ghengis will not like it, I know), with only the name of Aggie, the terms he served as SMC, and the list of all towns conquered by armies under his command. The following sentence would be engraved : From Apolytonia, in recognition of services rendered. The thread would be closed and mentionned on the first page of the directory.
                  Last edited by DAVOUT; November 14, 2002, 08:52.
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                    I recall that Aggie refused that his name be given to a city; he said that he was enough honored by the glory of our armies, which is extreme modesty on top of extreme pride.

I suggest for the very specific case of Aggie that we make a thread titled ARC DE TRIOMPHE (Gengis will not like it, I know), with only the name of Aggie, the terms he served as SMC, and the list of all towns conquered by armies under his command. The following sentence would be engraved : From Apolytonia, in recognition of services rendered. The thread would be closed and mentionned on the first page of the directory.
                    That sounds good, (Who told the Frenchie he could have a good idea? This should be looked into..............) you should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

That sounds good, (Who told the Frenchie he could have a good idea? This should be looked into..............) you should do it.
                      Wow, you called him a Frenchie rather than a Frog. DAVOUT, he obviously really respects you

(though he DOES call our French worker corps "Frenchies" as well...)

Comment

I never call Frenchies Frogs, that's degrading to them.

Actually, since our civ subjicated the French one and has domesticated them we should refer to them as "Toadies".

Comment

subjicated
                          This qualifies for our next interview on the way to increase the number of mispellings.
                          Statistical anomaly.
                          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

I never call Frenchies Frogs, that's degrading to them.

Actually, since our civ subjicated the French one and has domesticated them we should refer to them as "Toadies".
                            Wart are you talking about here, naming them something like that would be in-ribbiting.....

Although they might JUMP at the name......

E_T
                            Worship the Comic here!
                            Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

The Summer Palace

E_T
                              Worship the Comic here!

Comment

Working...
                              X