Official Poll on the Palace move decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Poll on the Palace move decision

As concerns after my publishing of the Construction Shack - 870AD (and beyond) Corruption & Waste Statistics Report have been expressed, I'm posting this poll about our decision to move the Palace to Timeline. As the figures show, this would most likely not be a good choice for the move.

In that report, I also showed figures for Macross City & Here It Is, as these two cities are the best developed to start a build up towards moving the Palace to them within a reasonable amount of time and cost. But these might not be the ultamate choice for the nation and this poll will also explore other alternatives with the option to vote for some other city.

Currently, Timeline is building the Palace and could be switched to either a Bank or University without losing any shields. But this decision must be made before the next turnchat, as this opportunity to switch will only last 1 turn for a Bank and 3 turns for a University (before being completed on the next turn.

Of the other possibilities, Macross City has the needed Prerequisites for the Palace build. It is size 12, but would need some Infrastructure changes to help decrease the TOC. Currently, the Palace could be built in 70 turns from start or 64 turns if the current build of a Library (1 shield left) is changed to the Palace.

Here It Is also has the Prerequisites for the build. It is currently at Size 9, but is rapidly increasing. It will need some Mountains Mined, to bring up full production and decrease the TOC. Currently, the Palace could be built here in 60 turns from start or 56 turns if the current build of a Library (1 turn left) is changed to the Palace. This TOC estimate would require greatly reducing this cities growth rate and might require adding a worker or two to the city. If the Growth rate is kept, the TOC's would be 82 turns from scratch and 76 turns with the switch.

In either case, we need the Libraries. But we'll also be losing the GA in about 6 turns. This part will be left for thread debate.

The Palace Move is a necessity, for the continued Growth of our nation while keeping our cities (current and future) as productive as possible.

I'll post an update corruption report thread soon and I'll link it in to this Poll.

This Poll will last for 5 days, but might be extended if there is enough of a public desire for it. An Extension might cause a delay in the next schedualled turnchat.

[EDIT] Add the link to Construction Shack - 940AD (and beyond) Corruption & Waste Statistics Report. It has some further Information on this issue.

E_T
    Timeline, where we had originally planned
    21.95%
    Macross City
    21.95%
    Here It Is
    2.44%
    Some other City or wait on the move
    43.90%
    The Banana will know the best action to take (Abstain)
    9.76%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by E_T; November 12, 2002, 02:43.
    Come and see me at WePlayCiv
    Worship the Comic here!
    Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

If this poll is 5 days, it will likely not be complete in time for the next turnchat (which must be by this weekend due to the lame-duck turnchat requirement in the current CoL). It is my intention to hold a turnchat on either Friday or Saturday.

If this poll can be altered to make it only 3 days (whoever has control over the ZpellZ), please do so.

If not, the CP can just follow the option with the prevailing lead in the poll by the time of the chat.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

After listing the potential sites to move the Palace to, I only have on question:

Where do YOU recommend we move the Palace to? I'm sure you are the foremost knowledge on this subject, and I'm sure you have an opinion on it...
      Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
      Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

While I haven't researched this issue to the extent that I'm sure others have, I sense that Timeline would be superior for the following reason:

Timeline is SIGNIFICANTLY closer to Mingapulco province and Uber Isle than the various sites in French-annexed territory.

Also, Timeline is within the bounds of the Apolytonian heartland... considering that we essentially have the game "won" and we can put the palace whereever we damn please, we can afford to use sentiment to trump some marginal increase in income here (if such an increase exists, which it may very well not).

As such, I think that the the Apolytonian ethnic group and the heartland of traditional Apolyton would consider it an intollerable affront to move the capital of the republic out of traditional Greater Apolytonia and into occupied France!

I'm sure that if Duddha were still around, the ARE would offer us a forceful argument toward this. Oddly enough, even though I have very little sentiment with the ARE or even of the MPP (which certainly also opposes moving the capital into occupied France), I would be equally opposed to moving the palace so far away from Apolyton - our namesake and the true center of all that is glorious and Apolytonian!

Why would the Apolytonian Republic rule Apolyton from far-off France, an inferior nation we rightly conquered?
        Last edited by Arnelos; November 11, 2002, 02:49.

Comment

E_T ran several palace location scenarios in previous threads that clearly showed that Moving the palace to Timeline was not worth the effort. (There actually was more empire wide corruption and waste with Timeline, than the current location). Not much mind you but why throw away 1000 shields to increase corruption.

Of the sites suggested, Marcross City was the best but only marginally better than leavng it alone.

What the real issue is, that we have not yet committed to our next major campaign.

Going north tends to favor Timeline
          Going South tends to favor other selections.

And most important of all, Timeline NEEDS a bank and university far more than we need a new palace.

More often than not, in RL and in pc games, the best decision is to delay the decision until absolutely necessary.

So, Vote to delay the palace. It's the right thing to do.
          I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Originally posted by roadcage
            E_T ran several palace location scenarios in previous threads that clearly showed that Moving the palace to Timeline was not worth the effort. (There actually was more empire wide corruption and waste with Timeline, than the current location). Not much mind you but why throw away 1000 shields to increase corruption.
            Then I would heavily support keeping the Palace in APOLYTON, our namesake and our true home.

Comment

Then I would heavily support keeping the Palace in APOLYTON, our namesake and our true home.
              It was my unstated hope, that people would recognize that a vote to delay is a vote for Apolyton by proxy. I to feel that Apolyton will turn out to be the best solution, but can be convinced if and when numbers to the contrary appear.
              I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Actually, of all of the choices, Macross City is the best. Apolyton it good for what we have now, but it will improve with the palace in Macross City. We currently have 12 cities that are FP centric, the rest (36) are Palace Centric. With the move to Timeline, there is no difference, except to make some of our best producing cities 2nd & 3rd rate. If it's moves to Macross, the numbers become more balanced with 21 being FP centric and 27 being Palace centric. HII would be FP:18, Pal: 30. The move to HII would possibly (I didn't include those cities in my figures) allow us to expand further south that we have originally planned, by current provence bounderies.

Personally and Professionally, Macross City is the best. This will also give that area a higher cultural output against Greece and for when we do go get Alex.

E_T
                Worship the Comic here!
                Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

As for the next campain, either Germany or England. All of the English cities (that we want) are FP Centric (no matter where the Palace is). Germany's 5 southern cities are also FP Centric (now and with Macross). Having these won't effect our core cities and help give us some balance.

England had MV, Germany has CO. Germany is the tech leader and we can take tech & Lytons from them. England Has a tech lead over us, but only because the get it from Germany & Rome.

Greece should wait until AFTER the Palace is moved. Taking any Greek cities now would make some of our cities that have had a "repreave" from Corruption with the building of the FP, would be effected by adding new Greek Cities. Currently, our Highest corruption is in Grenoble (soon to be elinimated) at 93%, followed by the position of the Site 2 City at 88% (56 with courthouse). Let me get some production out of those cities, before you kill them with corruption.

At least for the moment, nobody has a MPP with anyone.

E_T
                  Worship the Comic here!

Comment

Originally posted by E_T
                    Personally and Professionally, Macross City is the best. This will also give that area a higher cultural output against Greece and for when we do go get Alex.

Bah! Nonsense!

Our capital is APOLYTON and APOLYTON it should remain! Are WE not "APOLYTON"? Are we not named after mighty "APOLYTON"? Is not our nation called "APOLYTON-ia"? Are not the g0dZ that have mercifully granted this civiliation its life and liberty "the gOdZ of APOLYTON"?

What, may I ask, have we fought these great wars of conquest for - taking over many inferior lands and bringing to them the enlightenment of APOLYTON - if now we are to disgrace this entire heritage by moving the seat of power away from glorious Apolyton and into the heathen lands we rightly conquered?

Will not the g0dZ be angered that we have forgotten our way? That we, in our thirst for bringing these alien peoples closer to ourselves will allow ourselves to be seperated from our tradition - to lose our way?

Forbid it, oh Great Banana! As the religious civilization that we are, we should remain true to our g0dZ and retain APOLYTON as our rightful seat of power - lest we tempt the punishment of our angry g0dZ!
                    Last edited by Arnelos; November 11, 2002, 04:22.

Comment

I agree with Arnelos.

or at least rename whatever city Apolyton
                      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

If we go with Macross City, will ET change our civilization's name to Macrosssissian? ANd then force us to call ourselves Macross Sissies?

Hey, I don't want to be referred to as a sissy! Let us stand up this "capital change by force" movement and be proud of our Apolytonian heritage.

(Darn, French trying to convert us to their sissy ways)
                        Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

Macross, as I have always thought would be best.
                          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Once again, ET is attempting to force his will upon others. The Palace Location Commitee worked long and hard at deciding where things should be built. They already put up two polls to make the choice. Now ET is attempting to push both polls and all the work done by the commitee aside and to do his will.

This is a Democracy Game. The choice made by the people reguarding the Palace location was made long ago. Do not sucumb to the will of ET. Do not vote in this poll. It should not be considered valid or official.

"But the People have a right to change their mind."

This is a true statement. However, ET will re-poll and re-poll, and argue and argue until either he gets his way or he gets the power to do whatever he wants.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

We've found new information since the previous palace poll which has proven that the move to Timeline was a bad idea, thanks to E_T's spreadsheets. I think the people have a right to decide if they want to change their minds or not based on this new information.
                              I for one have changed my mind regarding this acute issue, and many other participants have expressed similar opinions in discussions held during the last week. It's our right to change our minds donegeal.

I'm sorry that we must disagree on such a fundamental issue.
                              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              X