Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatalis2
    replied
    I'd say : Israel, Netherlands, Portugal, Incas, Ethiopians (or "Nubia"), Poland and Khmers.

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh Sabaoth
    replied
    That would be a cool unit... the History Buff... it doesn't move, but it has a REALLY high defensive value...

Leave a comment:

• Gangerolf
    replied
    cool

Leave a comment:

• sabrewolf
    replied
    HB
    wow, you really set up this DL just for this post?

Leave a comment:

• history buffs
    replied
    Originally posted by Cruddy

Byzantium is just Rome with Orthodox Christian knobs on - can't see an obvious UU although I daresay the history buffs will laugh at me.

Last edited by history buffs; April 5, 2003, 06:34.

Leave a comment:

• Cruddy
    replied
    Wow, what a question... If you look at it culturally, I think the Dutch are the best candidates (Rembrandt, Van Gogh & co) with maybe a UU of yacht - faster version of the frigate.

If you look at it militarily, the Israelies are the shoo in candidates, although I think they'll get it because it'll boost sales...

Byzantium is just Rome with Orthodox Christian knobs on - can't see an obvious UU although I daresay the history buffs will laugh at me.

Personally I'm working on a new Civ that isn't featured in ANY of these posts - it's many months from completion so I'm not going to crow about it - as Nike say, "Just do it".

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh Sabaoth
    replied
    Originally posted by Generalissimo
    By "true civs" i refer to civs that truely dominated the world(england and france) or had a HUGE impact on the world and its future development(greece)
    because as a history nerd the idea the that the russians or the british are being bullied by a tibetian or an aztec empire is quite disturbing
    Well, I'd have to agree with you there, too.

I hate it when the Zulu and Iroquois come to dominate my huge maps late in the game, or the freakin' CARTHAGINIANS!!!! Argh...

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh Sabaoth
    replied
    Originally posted by Beren
    But of course there are different degrees. One might well argue to cut away half of the civs and replace them with one Civ: the Europeans (Come on: basically the same culture)
    I would have to agree with you there, but be careful what you say around here! I think we're in the minority...

(and in case any of you Europhiles are wondering, no, I am NOT Venezuelan... I just chose the flag... I am 100% English-Scottish-Welsh-Irish-Russian)

Leave a comment:

• RGBVideo
    replied
    You must not expect to be able to have a pure civ. There is always some intermixture and some divisions inside the civ.
    But of course there are different degrees. One might well argue to cut away half of the civs and replace them with one Civ: the Europeans (Come on: basically the same culture)
    Mali.

By "true civs" i refer to civs that truely dominated the world(england and france) or had a HUGE impact on the world and its future development(greece)
    because as a history nerd the idea the that the russians or the british are being bullied by a tibetian or an aztec empire is quite disturbing
    Mali.

Leave a comment:

• Generalissimo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Beren
    replied
    Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
    ...Almost all the civs in Civ3 are hybrids, as are almost all ethnicities on the face of the planet at this point, even such ancient peoples as the Tamil and the Basque.
    You must not expect to be able to have a pure civ. There is always some intermixture and some divisions inside the civ.

Leave a comment:

• RGBVideo
    replied
    Mali.

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh Sabaoth
    replied
    Originally posted by Generalissimo
    You know, i was thinking if civ4 is going to look like the olympic games and not civ4,why not give an extra trait for the "true civs"(england, france,russia,germany,usa,rome,greece...)
    it will solve the kind of problems that came up in the "america one nation under god" thread.
    Erk... "true civs"... that phrase makes me cautious... but I haven't read the "america one nation under god" thread, so I won't pass judgment on what you said... but I'd hope that some non-european descended civs might be considered "true" as well...

...but forgive me if I've taken your statement out of context.

Leave a comment:

• Generalissimo
    replied
    You know, i was thinking if civ4 is going to look like the olympic games and not civ4,why not give an extra trait for the "true civs"(england, france,russia,germany,usa,rome,greece...)
    it will solve the kind of problems that came up in the "america one nation under god" thread.

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh Sabaoth
    replied
    Yes, Odin, well put. Let's consider ALL the civs in the game:

America - a blend of many, perhaps dominated by the English, Germans and Irish

Germany - a blend of Scandanavians, Franks, Goths, Austrians, so many I couldn't name them all

France - Franks, Gauls, Germans, Normans, etc.

China - You could assume this means the Han Chinese, but modern China contains over 100 nationalities.

Japan - A mixture of Ainu and Chinese, with some other influences

Mongols - One of the many, many tranoxianic peoples... perhaps the most famous, but still one of many

Ottomans - One of the many turkic peoples.

Russia - Scandanavians, slavs, etc.

...Almost all the civs in Civ3 are hybrids, as are almost all ethnicities on the face of the planet at this point, even such ancient peoples as the Tamil and the Basque.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X