No announcement yet.

How to find enemy´s capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't have 3 cheap units in my cap. I know it's usually overkill but i seldomly scrimp on defending my cap. All it has to do is save you once or twice from the type of thing you propose (which has happened to me) and you don't mind wasting the production. If you catch my cap before 2600, it might work, but usually not afterwards. (based on usual 2x1x settings) But everyone gets a little nervous when the shiploads of elephants show up.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
      But everyone gets a little nervous when the shiploads of elephants show up.
      Especially those who might have chosen not to defend their cities.

Comment

i remember my cap having one weekness, a 8 tile inland lake......i remember having three whales and a wine, HG, colossus and the turn i was goin to build copernicus, five boats with ellies come across the lake and whammo.....cap goes from size 8 to 4 and i lose my wonders and the one i rushed wasn't even constructed.

i recaptured the city the next turn, but the damage was done, .....

yes ellies can hurt you if you have warriors

but once you have vet pike....ellies die a horrible death

i still defend like crap in many games, but in almost all games that i don't , someone tries to attack and fails miserably.....this keeps me "safe" for another few games.

this game is also about calculated risks, and some not so calculated chances you are willing to take.....

if you find me early like Rah said, i can be in trouble....but if not, you will need more than ellies to take MY cities

and expect anything you leave stacked close to my city or adjacent too to be smashed by vet pults
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

When playing against better than average players (the people here), I think the bigger risk is wasting time building 9 elephants and the ships to move them.

If your plan to invade a capital with that size force fails than you'll be so far behind the rest of the game...

And by the time you've built that army other players (leap froggin techs) will probably have far better defensive units anyway. Unless trading techs is not allowed anymore. dunno, been awhile since i've played.

Comment

Yes, due to our early experience leap froggin through the tech tree, tech trading is no longer allowed. Stealing is still encouraged but more difficult due to the tech steal city flag and a more aggressive defense to it.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              Yes, due to our early experience leap froggin through the tech tree, tech trading is no longer allowed. Stealing is still encouraged but more difficult due to the tech steal city flag and a more aggressive defense to it.
              rah,

The flag you refer to is the one that allows only one tech to be stolen from any one city, right?? What is the "more aggressive defense" you mention??

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Right on the flag.

Aggressive defence is being proactive in this case. Don't wait for diplos to show up by your cities, actively patrol the border and "ask them nicely to leave".

Comment

Thanks, DrSpike.

I thought you guys may have come up with something really new. I agree that wandering foreign dips have to be dealt with firmly. I love to see the box afterward with the objections by the AI.

Monk

Comment

IIRC correctly Rah's group allow tech stealing agreements, which surely makes for some frantic guessing games as to diplos' intentions.

I always claim mine are on missions of peace, then get annoyed when they are killed.

Comment

BM, no nothing really new, just stubborness and traps. (on top of patrols) Stubborness is defined by spending >= 50 gold to rush a unit to try to stop one that you could have spent on something more beneficial. Traps are guessing which path a player will use to move the diplo up and covering it. (or placing that pike cat combo in that mountain range that you figure he'll be moving the pike diplo combo through)

Our quasi tech stealing agreements have generated the most fun. They are terminated at the most inopportune times, because

1. you feel you're getting the short end of the deal
                      2. you've got a slim lead on a wonder tech and you're fearful that you might get leap frogged.
                      3. you've got a tech lead and someone else has the GL and you don't want to let them have freebies.
                      4. you've got the war academy and it's a free vet promotion for a defensive unit.
                      5. all the opponents cities that you send diplos to have already had something stolen by someone else and he didn't bother to mention that to you.
                      6. the moron hit the wrong key the last time and destroyed a temple.
                      7. that diplo is just a bit too near a city where you're building that early wonder.
                      8. you just want to be a ****.
                      9. you just got gunpowder.

So even if you have a tech stealling treaty with someone, you still protect/hide your diplos moving them up since we're all unpredictable bastards.

RAH
                      And spike, there are no PEACEFULL missions for diplos
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

War always claims he asked the boys to peacefully expel my peaceful diplomat, but that they accidentally got rowdy and attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                          4. you've got the war academy and it's a free vet promotion for a defensive unit. (expelling a Dip/Spy)
                          I didn't know that. Learn something new every day...

Comment

@rah

Thanks for that expansive reply. I could not help thinking as I reread your list of possibles that you guys have thoroughly mastered the AI way of dealing with agreements/treaties. Devious bunch of bast**ds you have become.

But, that's a good thing!!

Monk

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                              War always claims he asked the boys to peacefully expel my peaceful diplomat, but that they accidentally got rowdy and attacked.
                              anyone sneaking around my territory or milling about is up to no good, didn't you see the sign that said no loitering
                              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                              X