Clear All

• SlowThinker
    replied
    getting seed number also from specials

Civ2Beakers/Civ2Admin version 0.4 can do it:

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    A program (originally coded in Delphi) will be posted in a new thread momentarily ... (Civ2 Beakers Counter )

ST

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    To be complete: the rule mathematically:

nomenclature: size of a chessboard tile:
    ChessboardConstant=CC=2^(Seed div 16)

the rule:
    The special is the whale type even as (NSum mod (2*CC)) div CC = (NDiff mod (2*CC)) div CC
    Last edited by SlowThinker; March 29, 2003, 22:16.

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    I forgot to attach the file with patterns...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    Determining the type of special (fish/whale)

I found the rule: the type of special depends directly on the coordinates, but is different for seed patterns 0-15, 16-31, 32-47, 48-63. The layout is tessellated: seed 0-15 has chessboard tiles of size 1x1, seed 16-31 has tiles of size 2x2, seed 32-47 has 4x4, seed 48-63 has 8x8. See the attached .mp files: fish types are marked as wheat, whale as jungle.

NSum = (X + Y)/2 ; NDiff = (X - Y)/2
    A note: if you turn the map by 45 degrees anticlockwise then the x coordinate corresponds to NSum and y coordinate corresponds to NDiff.
    So you see that the fish/whale type of specials depends on NSum, NDiff coordinates by a simple way.

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    Originally posted by Elephant in Which utilities/helpers do you use?
    Beware, though, that HF calculates a "base" seed, not the exact seed; the specials will be in the right place, but they may be the opposite "type" (Whale or Fish). To get the seed right you need to expose more of the map to see several groups of specials, then experiment with the seed in MapEditor by adding 16 or 32 repetitively until you get the right arrangement.
    I see HutFinder shows values up to 32 (or 31?). Since there is 64 different seeds, you have to try 2 seeds if you want to find out the correct seed?
    Why hut finder doesn't distinguish between seeds x and x+32? There is not sufficient information from one hut position?
    ...then experiment with the seed in MapEditor by adding 16 or 32 repetitively...
    I suppose adding 32 once would be sufficient...?

Leave a comment:

• Elephant
    replied
    I presume from context they are the X,Y coordinates of three specials in a group.

Do you have MapEditor? Try starting with a blank ocean map and change the Resource Seed in increments of 16 (2-18-34-50, 3-19-35-51, etc...). Then do increments of 64.

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    Determining the type of special (fish/whale)

Originally posted by samson
    Determining the type of special (fish/whale) requires a modulo-64 seed and at least three data points.
    What are 'three data points' ?

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    Since I don't like a disorder, I am moving the continuation of samson's formulas from theGits' Hut Finder Program thread here:

Using the same modulo-32 SEED as for huts, you can predict all specials locations (although not their type).

For all map coordinates:
    1) Calculate Nsum and NDiff the same way as for huts.
    2) Calculate Hash without the "+ 8" offset: Hash = (NSum/4) x 11 + (NDiff/4) x 13
    3) Use Modulo-16 instead of 32: Hash = RemainderOf( (Hash + Seed) / 16)
    4) If Hash = RemainderOf(NSum/4) + RemainderOf(NDiff/4) x 4 then the location is a special.

Determining the type of special (fish/whale) requires a modulo-64 seed and at least three data points.
    In order to generate hut locations from specials, you'd need the location and types of three specials from the same group of four. This can determine the modulo-64 seed which could be used to predict not only hut and special locations but the type of special as well.
    Distance can be calculated with the algorithm I described in STEP 1 in the thread "Calculating Caravan and Freight Delivery Payments".

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    A program (originally coded in VB) will be posted in a new thread momentarily ...

SG[1]

Leave a comment:

• samson
    replied
    Cyrion,

If you are adept at Excel programming, you could be of great use in the civlab on the Supply and Demand project. There are 30+ formulas involving much input gathering and calculation to determine Supply and Demand commodities for a city. A spreadsheet that prompted for the input and did all the calculations would be quite valuable, if you're interested.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrion
    replied
    Ok, it's the other part of the division result! I should have guessed...

Now I just need to find how it's called in Excell and then I might, for the first time, be of use to someone in Poly!

EDIT: OK, found it, and it's called... MOD! I sometimes feel sooo stupid...
    Last edited by Cyrion; November 25, 2002, 11:02.

Leave a comment:

• samson
    replied
    Cyrion,

"RemainderOf" means the remainder of an integer divsion. For example the RemaindOf( 23 / 4) is 3. This is also known as a Modulo or Mod operation. Most calculators have a Mod button. The Windows "Calculator" app does, in scientific mode.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrion
    replied
    Samson, just a question: what do you mean in your formula with "RemainderOf" ?? Do you mean the integer part of the result of the division?? Or what else??

I'm just trying to find an easy way to use your research...

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Hmm. Ming says "every edge helps." Rah says he's "not sure if...that's appropriate."

This one will be worth watching...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X