Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mad Monk
    replied
    My naming convention is to name cities on the home continent after the local terrain--Whale Inlet, Wildwood (nearby pheasent), Vista (adjacent to a lake and a mountain), etc. Poetic, if boring. Other continents get different themes, so I can tell at a glance the general location of a given city; I'll often pick a state as a theme, or a fictional world.

If the city came from a hut and I'm planning to diband it for the NONE settler, I'll name it "Born To Die", "Shoot Me Now", "What City?", etc., so they stand out and I don't forget them.

Leave a comment:

• Alexander's Horse
    Guest replied
    "Horse is GOD" is a city name I use and recommend to all of you.

[This message has been edited by Alexander's Horse (edited June 19, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• Carolus Rex
    replied
    Hm, after rereading my post (and AH's) I reckon' it ain't exactly city names with attitude...

Oh well!

Carolus

[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited June 19, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• Carolus Rex
    replied
    When Sten Sture introduced me to MP he used a couple of variations on the original Sioux city names. Wounded Elbow instead of Wounded Knee, Beer Paw instead of Bear Paw and so on. Later on I added a few myself, like Ricky Lake instead of Stony Lake...

I sometimes use Goody Hut for my cap followed by Hoody Gut, Another Hut, New Hut, Jabba the Hut etc... When I run out of ideas I look for city characteristics. Danger Hut or Front Hut in contested areas, Strong Hut for a well defended city, Whale Hut if the city has a whale...

Others are Untouchable, Invincible, but I also use combos like A mistake?, Anotherone? or Bad, Lousy, Worse...

Carolus

Leave a comment:

• Alexander's Horse
    Guest replied
    *blush*

My favourite cities names at the moment are:

LoVe THat HoRse
    F*ckI'mGood
    and
    I'm2Sexy4myCiv

Leave a comment:

• tonic
    replied
    Maybe I've chosen my handle here so as to be able to call my capital: Tonicity .

Leave a comment:

• finbar
    replied
    Jeez, I hate the restriction on the size/length of city names. How many times do you come up one space short when typing in a brilliant name?

On the other hand, the nicest city names I've come across in a while come courtesy of A. Horse - he of the horribly underdeveloped ego, and familiar to many of you - who delights in modest city names like BowDown2Horse, Worship Horse, Blessed Horse, Viva Horse, etc. Brightens up a dull game.

------------------
    finbar
    Mono Rules!
    [This message has been edited by finbar (edited June 18, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• SilverDragon
    Guest replied
    *Bump*

Leave a comment:

• Genghis Al
    replied
    Sounds like a good time. Whenever I take over a city I rename it "Anal(old city name." So if I take Boston it would be changed to Anal Boston. Made me laugh when it said Anal Boston build a granary. Naming cities for whatr they do makes things easier for me. Like "mountain post" that way you don't start building things they don't need.

------------------
    See you in court.

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Xin Yu still did it best. We were in a MP game, on different sides of an alliance, and we were looking for each others cities.

He had found my farthest outpost, but I hadn't found his yet. He renamed all his cities close to me "Boston", the same name as the city I had closest to him... Every time I went to check to see if my exploring units were still closer to my city... sure enough, it always said they were closest to Boston

Xin is the master

Leave a comment:

• East Street Trader
    replied
    For the Warlord of the lawyers army "Come to Judgement" maybe, or, "Injuncted" (for a mountain city perhaps)?

Any use to you? I might release my copyright - for a modest fee, of course. (One good MP tip apiece will do).

I've been thinking of trying MP and this thread may provide the incentive I need to do it.

East Street Trader
    [This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 15, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• Makeo
    replied
    In one game I was trying to hide where my capital city was, so i renamed two of my cities as NONE(Capital). Then moved my capital to one of those cities.

Leave a comment:

• KhanMan
    replied
    Hmmm...my most recent trend in city-naming in mp has been to spell out Homer's "Iliad", word by word, in ancient Greek, but that seems to be bad luck, since I never got past Book I.

In sp I used to play as the souix or aztec and name cities insulting parodies of the original names, but, sadly, they aren't printable...

How about a new strategy for mp-play: use each city name to insult your opponent/opponent's tribe...then, as you lose, watch the city names slowly change, one by one...

-KhanMan the lesserly-crazy Crazy Lesser Sayen

Leave a comment:

• Genghis Al
    replied
    thats good stuff.

People somtimes name cities for what they do, science city, Production city stuff like that. Although this is a terrible idea in multiplayer it shows how names can be used strategicly.

Alex v4.6

Leave a comment:

• Genghis Al
    replied
    This is all well and good, but I really want some names. Tell me more about this lord of the ferrets...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X