Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCG
    replied
    Reguarding those repeating commodities, I could speculate that each supplied/demanded item has a numeric value that once reached, supply/demand is (satisfied), and a second numeric value that when reached supply/demand changes, and that those values depend on things like size of the city and number of trade arrows, but that is about the best I can do with my emperical evidence.

Reguarding demand in a city, I've found that at least some of the time, it is based on the size (or maybe size of the trade potential) of the cities involved. In one game I had an AI capitol demanding dye. With some experimentation, I found that if i delivered the smaller payload dye caravans first, I could deliver more dye caravans before the AI demand changed or was satisfied. There seemed to be a certain size to which the dye changed to something else demanded, anything over changed the demand, anything under left it still in demand in the sink city.

Conversely, other than Hides, I've never had a repeat commodity to deliver without at least 3 trade routes already in the supply city. When I had 3 routes predelivery, and the city i was delivering to had less trade than the smallest trade city, it often would simply free up the commodity to trade again (i 'got rid' of the caravan, without filling in a trade route). The rest of the time, one of the supply commodities changed, sometimes to what I had just delivered.

Also, I've had small trade cities deliver lucrative caravans, gold to another continent for example, (satisfy) demand in that city, where its other commodites have no noticeable effect, so the factors that determine trade bonus and whether the trade route replaces an existing one are likely part of the equation when dealing with repeating commodities.

Hope I didn't just confuse everyone more than they already were

------------------
    April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*

Leave a comment:

• Ribannah
    replied
    Adam Smith, a small correction to my last post.

Alternating ALWAYS renews demand in your own cities. In other Civ's cities, you are right, anything can happen, but the amount of trade generated by that city is definitely a major factor.

- Rib -

------------------
    If you have no feet, don't walk on fire

Leave a comment:

• Adam Smith
    replied
    I've found cities like this with 0, 1, or 2 existing trade routes.

------------------
    Old posters never die.
    They.j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y...

Leave a comment:

• The Mad Viking
    replied
    Thanks for bumping the thread Adam.

I wonder, do these cities whose trade demands don't change already have 3 strong trade routes, which are not replaced when the freight delivers? That is, the demand being satisfied is linked not to receiving the freight, but establishing a new trade route?

In my current game I have a couple of cities producing Cloth freights turn after turn; if I could get a repeat Cloth reciever, hoo-haw!

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    Silk is an interesting commodity, as it is often repeated. I have seen silk be demanded by a city from the BC years to the end of a game. Possibly this reflects the fact that there has been a steady demand for silk throughout the ages. Its demand is not altered by technological progress.

Different continents appear to be given their own commodity demands. Very often one Civ will require say - "Silk, Coal and Hides", whilst a neighbour will demand "Spice, Copper and Beads"
    ----------
    SG (2)

Leave a comment:

• Adam Smith
    replied
    Sten, Ribinnah:
    How the parens work depends on the city. Some cities will continue to read Silk, Wine, Coal or whatever no matter how many caravans of those commodities you deliver. You can make other cities alternate pairs of commodities as Tonic described. Other cities just fill up their trade slots as you deliver caravans. I dont really know what determines how a city acts. As far as I can tell it is random.

------------------
    Old posters never die.

Leave a comment:

• Sten Sture
    replied
    Rib are you sure about your first point; that would imply - if I am thinking straight - that no city would have two items in parens at one time. I have seen that quite often...

Leave a comment:

• tonic
    replied
    I think the supply aspect is relevant seeing it's trade strategy. One related question for me is what determines the reappearance of commodity caravans/freight after its initial exhaustion and after you've built x number of food caravans?

I came across a commodity-supply pair loop in my OCC12 game. As long as I sent the caravan to the target city, Paris, I could alternate the Gold and Wine caravans indefinitely it seemed. Unfortunately both commodities were not in demand but nevertheless at that stage of the game each did generate a bonus of 217 gold and a corresponding small science bonus (imposed Fundy government in the game).

In testing the saved games later I found that interrupting this alternating supply loop eg by sending the Gold caravan to another city that demanded it, broke the supply loop ie only food caravans could be built after that!

Leave a comment:

• Ribannah
    replied
    If a city wants say Silk and has turned (Silk) after delivery, the demand will be renewed after delivering another, this time non-Silk caravan.

Changes in demand mainly occur after (1) certain tech discoveries and (2) city growth.
    City growth can also renew the old demand.

Continued demand after delivery happens in cities with a large amount of trade (makes sense, right?). But I've never seen it happen to my own cities, only the AI's.

- Rib -

Leave a comment:

• Sten Sture
    replied
    On a vaguely related issue - if you do have a repeating supply commodity and send it twice to the same city you do NOT set up an additional trade route if the demand is already fulfilled. How does this work with a repeating demand commodity?

Is that clearly worded??

Leave a comment:

• Adam Smith
    replied
    Bump.
    Subsequent play has shown that you dont need to rehome caravans to make this strategy work well.
    This thread does not appear to be in the archives. Should it be?

------------------
    Old posters never die.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    *Bump!*

Leave a comment:

• MyOlde
    replied
    Thanks for the Bump.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Smith
    replied
    Bump.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Smith
    replied
    I just saw the week-old references to the "Crummy Tech" trading strategy and the "Two Continents" trading strategy. Thanks for the recognition, though some clearly goes to Xin Yu. I thought I would dig this thread up and give it a bump because subsequent play has shown that this strategy is even more productive than the "Two Continents" strategy. With a super science city, six or eight other small cities to support, and no tribute or alliances I can usually finish a Deity game (land on AC) about 1780. With creative use of tribute I am sure it can be done by 1750 or sooner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X