Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self bias resistor
    Guest replied
    I consider myself quite the Civ veteran, though Im not that good (beaten it on king once). That, and i've lurked here for about five months now, and finally decided to throw my hat into the ring.

------------------
    i will be the power surge

Leave a comment:

• tonic
    replied
    Thue: I too have stumbled onto the Freeciv site and have downloaded Andrea's version for Windows. Although I'm not altogether computer-illiterate (and I'm a great supporter of the self-help GNU concept), the installation of Freeciv is somewhat less than friendly. I've still not managed to get the client part of the program running - so any tips would be welcome. (BTW I'm already on their mailing list but with the OS's coverage you listed, the signal-to-noise ratio is somewhat low if you're only interested in Windows).

[This message has been edited by tonic (edited June 17, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• KhanMan
    replied
    Cavebear-I must say, it is actually easy to beat the ai with those constraints: simply play the "build a 100 cities" game, and use your cities to wall off the ai from whole continents.

Defend yourself, build lots of roads, and maintain a tech lead through trade, and AC will soon be yours.

Thule-Though I think freeciv is a great idea, until someone comes up with a way to get it on Windows without buying expensive applications to run it, that's all I can do: think about it.

-KhanMan

Leave a comment:

• cavebear
    replied
    Concerning the "it's easy to beat the AI in CivII" idea: I suppose it is easy to beat it by going after it militarily and early in the game.

May I suggest that you just let it build itself while you build your own civ. See what it does by 1000AD.

One other point; it seems to me that the AI in CivII is not designed to be aggressive. It seems to do better at development and Wonders. Give the game a chance that way. It's not going to interact while you just wander around the map, so it won't *provide* your entertainment that way. You have to do your own building to get your enjoyment from this game.

Leave a comment:

• Sten Sture
    replied
    Cheese - Civ certainly isn't for everyone. And it is way out of date from a graphic interface standpoint, but we would probably play it without graphics at all.

If you want more action, Civ may not be for you, but I might suggest trying a well designed Civ action scenario like RedFront or Sparticus before you hang it up completely.

The AI programing was done ten years ago so it is in despirate need of a complete overhaul - which is why so many good civers either grossly handicap themselves or play against people instead of the AI.

Leave a comment:

• Cheese
    replied
    Well, I tried starting a few more games at the Deity level to get things moving and after three hours of play, I am just walking around the map, a few squares at a time, waiting for things to happen.

I've always enjoyed TBS games, but this one just seems to drag on. I suppose the graphics don't help much either, though the HiRes Mod was an improvement.

Well, thanks for all your responses!

Leave a comment:

• Thue
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by Thue on 06-15-2000 08:46 AM
    With a unix environment (ie an x server) it also runs under
    MS Windows 95/98/NT

see http://www.freeciv.org/windows.html
    but generelly, and X server costs money

But that doesn't matter, cause since freeciv runs on some OS other than linux, fx amiga, you are now commited to trying it

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Gee Thue... you snuck that post in on me while I was answering another question

GREAT NEWS... so how do I get a copy that runs in a windows environment?
    Because I like the concept, I just didn't think I would have linux in the near future...

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    OCC stands for One City Challange.

Many of that have played for a while were looking for a new challange to keep the game interesting. Trying to win with just one city does indeed test all your skills.
    And welcome aboard

And Andz83... I knew you weren't... but since I was one of those Thread Leaders, I wanted to make sure I distanced myself from the stuff you were complaining about... notice I used the smile again

Leave a comment:

• Thue
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 06-14-2000 06:50 AM
    When it becomes available for some other operating system besides Linux, I will give it a try

Ha - got you Ming. It is available for other operating sytems than linux! How many OS'es do you want?

It runs natively under
    GNU/Linux
    OpenBSD
    NetBSD
    FreeBSD
    BSDI 4
    Amiga
    Sun Solaris
    SunOS
    SGI Irix
    IBM AIX
    HP HP-UX

With a unix environment (ie an x server) it also runs under
    MS Windows 95/98/NT
    IBM OS/2

And work is in progress to get it running under
    MAC
    BeOS
    OpenVMS

beat that!
    I will interpret your comment that you now have to try freeciv. It does run under some other operating system
    [This message has been edited by Thue (edited June 15, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• Strategist
    replied
    Hello Ming, Andz83, Khanman and all the others!

This is my first post here, and I have a question:

What does "OCC" mean?

I also like to play Civilization 2. I hope that I can learn a bit from this forums.

Leave a comment:

• Andz83
    Guest replied
    cough

Ming: I wasn't referring to the cheat thread...

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Yeah Andz83... I knew it was a joke, and that's why I added my smile at the end...

And as far as the CivIII section goes, I decided to be useful and start the cheat thread. I just wanted to show them how we currently abuse the program, hoping they would clean up their act in the next version.
    And, it is a great reference piece for current civII players.

I had a real problem going through many of the other suggestion threads too

Leave a comment:

• Andz83
    Guest replied
    quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 06-13-2000 02:30 PM
    "He feels insulted easily"? HA HA HA HA!

If that was the case, half the people at Apolyton would be banned

It was only a joke, Ming. But I think you know that, don't you? For you're not one of these whiners in the civ3 forum...

Leave a comment:

• KhanMan
    replied
    Here here!

Freeciv has some really interesting features (looking in from the outside), but a windows-native version isn't one of them...

As for the lack of understanding thing, check out the "Civilopedia" menu, and experiment with the things you can click on, like "tree" in each of the "civilization advances", which shows you what you need to get an advance.

Also, there are a number of nice challenges out there, like:

1. OCC-One City Challenge: Land a space ship on AC, using only one city throughout the game.

2. Nomads Challenge: Never build a city, and only capture them from huts and enemies. This is particularly challenging when played at deity, raging hordes, 7 civizations, excellerated start-up...

(doubt anyone but the best could win with those settings)

Also, as many have mentioned, there's mp-play too: I can beat the ai 99% of the time or more on King, and I'm 0 wins and 13 losses in mp play, if that's any indication...

Best of Luck,
    -KhanMan
    (who recently tried AoE for the first time...what's all the fuss about?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X