Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rah
    replied
    A few of the diehards aren't around as much so it's a bit harder to set up ad hoc games of greater than 3 people.
    More scheduling is required than in the old days where you could just check ICQ and see a handful of players ready to go at a moments notice.

Leave a comment:

• Smash
    replied
    It could be my memory failing(Lord knows everything else is ) but I recall setting up games was as easy pie or ICQ.

Continuing and finishing was the hard part.A finished Civ2 game with more than 2 players was a Holy Grail of sorts...but I'm outta the loop.Maybe things have changed...... [hopeful/]

Leave a comment:

• rah
    replied
    Enjoy it while you can.

Leave a comment:

• Ecthy
    replied
    It has been before and it will be again... not nowadays though, that I'm a uni student means I have loads of time

Leave a comment:

• rah
    replied
    Join us and find out. You know where to look. The time difference shouldn't present too much of an inconvenience.

Leave a comment:

• Ecthy
    replied
    Doesn't he speak the truth.

Leave a comment:

• rah
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
    ...setting up MP games on the other hand will become the hardest part of the game

Yep.

Leave a comment:

• Ecthy
    replied
    I sort of remember the time when I improved on difficulty levels on a weekly basis.

MP did teach me quite a bit, but not too much.

After not playing the game in quite some time I tried a deity game as the Chinese on world_m. I was fooked by the Indians

Leave a comment:

• Sparrowhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by rah
    After that, the SP will never be hard again.
    ...setting up MP games on the other hand will become the hardest part of the game

Leave a comment:

• rah
    replied
    The best teacher is MP. Once you can hold your own in MP, SP is easy. You learn how to win without all the good wonders(especially the happy wonders), having to defend against coordinated attacks, attacking positions that are actually defended, exisiting without a technology advantage, defending opponents that know how to use naval and air unit, and how devestating a smart corp of diplo/spies can be when used against you.

After that, the SP will never be hard again.

Leave a comment:

• duke o' york
    replied
    Vaustein is also looking for help on beating the AI and raising his game generally, not on how to land early. Let them walk before they run!

I agree with rjm on the Pyramids. I prefer to capture them once I've got a couple of happy wonders so that cities needing a boost on reaching celebration size will get one. Although if you have a decent production city in celebration then you can just churn out a settler per turn and grow all your new cities up to 3.

Leave a comment:

• rjmatsleepers
    replied
    Originally posted by Grigor
    it may be that the Pyramids are currently undervalued at Apolyton.
    I'm certainly one of those that does not value the Pyramids at Deity level. The problem is the unhapiness caused by too rapid growth. Even at size 3 you need a temple (or a second martial law unit) and at size 4 you need mysticism (or another martial law unit). A city on a well choosen site grows quite fast enough. If one of them needs some extra help, build a granary.

RJM at Sleeper's

Leave a comment:

• Grigor
    replied
    The value of Pyramids in an early landing context at Deity is still a matter of some debate. Slow Thinker used Pyramids brilliantly but very unusually in his EL game, first of all to get the cities to size 3 at maximum speed. Afterwards, his size 5 cities with pyramids could eat up half a food box worth of turns with all citizens set to scientists (Xinning). When you consider that Masonry is on the way to Construction (Aqueduct), it may be that the Pyramids are currently undervalued at Apolyton.

Leave a comment:

• Straybow
    replied
    The Great Library (in the Civ2 Strategy forum)

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Scouse Gits
    Welcome vaustein
    Glad you can beat the game at Prince - now try King, then Emperor, then Deity.
    Welcome indeed!

Re the above quote from SG -- Do not pass Go, do not waste your time on the interim levels.
    GO STRAIGHT TO DEITY!

Just remember...
    1. Happiness
    2. Trade
    3. Win -- AC or conquest, your choice.

I see you used markusf's strat document. Have you visited the Great Library here? There are MANY highly informative articles, generally very readable. You'll soon be winning at Deity and will never look back!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X