X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CapTVK
    replied
    Originally posted by Rasbelin
    I actually recently saw Ming's submission to a HoF for Civ II on Deity level. The submission was from 1998.

There's indeed sites left from 1996 and 1997 (= no updates since that), but only a few of them are "working" in the sense of DMOZ's principles for sites that warrant to be listed. The oldest ones have pages missing and file downloads are also removed. The largest problem is that ~30 Civ sites have been wiped out because of GeoCities's new policy for neighbourhood addresses and the fact that several sites were lost when Crosswinds had a power cut (or was it a fire, anyway). Not to mention that Xoom is out of business, because NBCi bought them.

Maybe the wayback machine could help? You do need to know the original http:// link to get it to work though.

So who's next for an interview?

Leave a comment:

• Bugs ****ing Bunny
    replied
    On the CTP 2 forums I can consistently name 1 in 3. On looking at the first pages of the CTP 1 forums, the figure is lower but then some of those threads have been here longer than I have.

Leave a comment:

• Solver
    replied
    You recognize? Or they recognize you? You surely know Immortal Wombat, Martin Guehman and Blackice, but what about, say, Elrond .

Leave a comment:

• Bugs ****ing Bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by Solver
    I can go to my beloved CtP section and ask people if they know of Laz, AH, you - probably not.
    Try it. There are a lot of names I recognise there. Incidentally, the CTP boards are looking a bit moribund these days, aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• FrustratedPoet
    replied
    Originally posted by Ming

Bods also ran his OWN CIV SITE
    I thought this was common knowledge.

Apparently not.

Leave a comment:

• Solver
    replied
    A civ 3 modmaker is next on the list. He's also a SMAC player at the same time.

Length... not defined by me, generally. Some people, like Dan, just love to talk .

What is worthy to do, in your definition? Is helping make mods and helping the whole CtP community enough?

Leave a comment:

• Chris 62
    replied
    Take reps from each section, and do them one at a time.

They should have done something to be worthy of hearing from, and they all don't have to be super long.

For example, there are a lot of civ-3 mod makers, talk to one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Solver
    replied
    Interesting stuff you tell... sure, the oldtimers want to hear from the oldtimers, but another thing I fear is that for most others the interview would be zero interest.

Actually, here's the problem, any interview I can make (with the exceptions of Dan, Markos and Ming) will be of no interest to quite some part of the site.

Leave a comment:

• Rasbelin
    replied
    I actually recently saw Ming's submission to a HoF for Civ II on Deity level. The submission was from 1998.

There's indeed sites left from 1996 and 1997 (= no updates since that), but only a few of them are "working" in the sense of DMOZ's principles for sites that warrant to be listed. The oldest ones have pages missing and file downloads are also removed. The largest problem is that ~30 Civ sites have been wiped out because of GeoCities's new policy for neighbourhood addresses and the fact that several sites were lost when Crosswinds had a power cut (or was it a fire, anyway). Not to mention that Xoom is out of business, because NBCi bought them.

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay Bee
    He also took care of the Apolyton Hall of Fame for a time (not the Greek site ).
    I stand corrected...

Ahhhh, the ole Addicted Site... those were the days

Leave a comment:

• Chris 62
    replied
    In other words, you bums should listen to your elders.

Seriously, more care should be taken with this whole process, and it should be approached as you would any regular feature, with professionalism.

I showed you how Solver, make it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Jay Bee
    replied
    Ming is absolutely correct, Bod's ran a Civ2 site, and a damn good one, btw. He also took care of the Apolyton Hall of Fame for a time (not the Greek site ). He and I had fruitful discussions on civ scores at the Addicted forum...

Leave a comment:

• Rasbelin
    replied
    Hmmm... looks like I don't have it in my bookmarks of dead sites. Well, it means I have to mine then.

Leave a comment:

• Rasbelin
    replied
    Ming,

the reason why they're not listed is that they're 1. completely dead 2. partially dead with no content that warrants to be listed. I would say that the Zadanian League and HiC have the best lists for dead sites. However I don't immidiately recall a site with top ten scores, but I'll have to check that.

Hundreds? Well, I could do a calculation about that, based on the very complete lists on Zadanian League, HiC and DMOZ, so yes, I have seen most of the sites mentioned somewhere, but there's tens or maybe even over 100 dead sites that can't be reached anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Originally posted by Rasbelin

Don't try to pull our legs. If Bods had/has a Civ site, it would be listed on DMOZ or I would have seen it.

It was "WAY" before you time Ras...
    If I remember correctly, the Original Greek Site kept it's top ten Civ Scores on a site maintained by Bods...

There were hundreds of old Civ Sites that aren't listed on DMOZ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X