Year 2111
    Population: 2
    Number of bases: 2
    Technology: 2: Cent.Eco, Biogen
    Researching: Inf.Net (ready next turn), speed 4 truns/tech
    Energy: 117, earning 2/turn, allocation 70%labs, 30% economy
    SE: frontier, simple, survival, none
    Units: 2 formers, 1 scout, 1 unity rover, 3 worms

Popped some monolits around starting site, which is the best resource at early stages. Found Uranium flats north of the starting site fairly close, great territory to colonize!

Here is the save attached. BTW, did anyone try to load up my starting save?
    Jimmytrick, if you prefer to start from the same point, you could play from my starting save attached at the beginning of this thread - of course, your choice of faction setting is predetermined in this case.
    Attached Files
    ::Zsozso::

Comment

Statistics of my game standing:
      Year 2121
      Population: 5
      Number of bases: 5
      Technology: 4: Cent.Eco, Biogen, Inf.Net, Plan.Net
      Researching: Ind.Base (2 turns left), speed 7 truns/tech
      Energy: 107, earning 5/turn, allocation 50%labs, 50% economy
      SE: frontier, planned, survival, none
      Units: 1 colony pod, 4 formers, 1 scout, 2 unity rover, 4 worms, 1 spore launcher

Continent is fairly large south of me, but nothing of great interest on it.
      No contact yet, although it is not surprising considering that all other factions are pirates.
      Attached Files

Comment

Year 2131
        Population: 14
        Number of bases: 10
        Technology: 10: Cent.Eco, Biogen, Inf.Net, Plan.Net, Doct.Mob, Ind.Base, App.Physics, Doct.Flex, Ind.Eco, Ind.Aut.
        Researching: Soc.Psych (7 turns left), speed 10 truns/tech
        Energy: 103, earning 10/turn, allocation 70%labs, 30% economy
        SE: frontier, planned, wealth, none
        Units: 3 colony pods, 10 formers, 1 scout, 2 unity rover, 5 worms, 1 spore launcher, 2 alien artifacts, 1 unity foil

Popped the frequency of Sven5, traded some techs with him and signed a treaty.

Comment

Forgot to attach the game save to previous post.
          Attached Files

Comment

In response to your *nix - Winblows compatibility concerns, I was able to D/L and load your games on my Win2k box just fine.

On a more topical note, I'm starting to note a scary trend of all the killer players of this game playing with _super_ tight spacing. Looks like I need to consider cramming my stuff even closer together than before.

Comment

Aaron, thanks for checking the compatibility! Good to know.

Year 2141
              Population: 62
              Number of bases: 21
              Technology: 16: Cent.Eco, Biogen, Inf.Net, Plan.Net, Doct.Mob, Ind.Base, App.Physics, Doct.Flex, Ind.Eco, Ind.Aut., Prog.Psych, Soc.Psych, Eth.Calc., Sec.Hum.Brain, Nonlin.Math, High Ener.Chem.
              Researching: Cent.Emp. (1 turn left), speed 6 truns/tech
              Energy: 280, earning 64/turn, allocation 50%labs, 50% economy
              SE: democratic, planned, wealth, none
              Units: 1 colony pods, 15 formers, 1 scout, 2 unity rover, 6 worms, 1 spore launcher, 1 alien artifact, 1 unity foil, 7 crawler, 1 isle of deep, 1 laser skimship, 2 land transports

Managed to collect all the comm frequencies (some traded, some met on the sea), then elected myself as governor. I'm in treaty with all the pirates, often selling them my techs for energy. This way, whenever they research something, it is also knew to me, so I can get techs in trade (I do not let them fall behind). Now the exponential growth effect is really kicking in.
              Attached Files

Comment

Good Lord.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention an important addition in the stats:
                  Secret Projects: Weather Paradigm, Planetary Transit System

Both of these were built during the last 10 turns with the help of crawlers.
                  PTS made a huge difference, since previously all my bases were at size 1 (due to the constant colony pod building), then they all suddenly jumped to pop 3 with PTS.

Comment

You are a good citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne
                      JT, "homing on pactmates" was a concise reminder for when you home one of your units (Ctrl-H?) inside of one of your pactmates' bases, *keeping* its control but waiving off its support (IIRC that unit becomes "independent", not namely but de facto, that is, despite the display charges it on the pactmate base, he won't be paying its support neither, I don't know about pacifism effects).
                      Not that it would find much application in singleplayer, but as it's the exploitment of a bug making no sense in gameplay, I deemed it an obvious cheat here too.

Yes regarding waypoints, afaik.

I don't see why we should restrict base gifitng.
                      Re AI base *trading* instead, while it's banned in pbems, here it all depends whether we more see this as a benchmark quest or as a skills challenge, as I said.

In the benchmark perspective, I think it's a *legal* (albeit too easy) game mechanics, on the same line of the Citizen level tricks envisioned by Mongoose & David Byron.
                      Base trading and citizen level....

Comment

Year 2151
                        Population: 87
                        Number of bases: 33
                        Technology: 23 (I'm too lazy to list them anymore...)
                        Researching: Cent.Med. (3 turn left), speed 4 truns/tech
                        Energy: 169, earning 76/turn, allocation 80%labs, 20% economy
                        SE: democratic, green, wealth, none
                        Secret Projects: Weather Paradigm, Planetary Transit System, Energy Grid
                        Units: 8 colony pods, 32 formers, 3 sea formers, 1 scout, 2 unity rover, 7 worms, 1 spore launcher, 1 alien artifact, 1 unity foil, 3 crawler, 1 isle of deep, 1 laser skimship, 2 land transports, 1 supply ship

I had a colony-pod overflow, i.e. there is no more land nearby to plant them, either have to walk long way south, or expand my continent by land raising. I'm doing a bit of both, plus switched production from colony pods to recycling tanks and network nodes, then research labs in the inner bases.
                        Forest planting is also too slow in comparison to new land colonization. I probably have to build a second fleet of formers (i.e. 2 per city instead of 1 per city).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Year 2161
                          Population: 116
                          Number of bases: 46
                          Technology: 30 (I'm too lazy to list them anymore...)
                          Researching: Doct.Air Power (2 turn left), speed 2 truns/tech
                          Energy: 59, earning 118/turn, allocation 80%labs, 20% economy
                          SE: democratic, green, wealth, none
                          Secret Projects: Weather Paradigm, Planetary Transit System, Energy Grid
                          Units: 20 colony pods, 46 formers, 3 sea formers, 1 scout, 2 unity rover, 8 worms, 2 spore launchers, 1 alien artifact, 1 unity foil, 5 crawlers, 1 isle of deep, 1 laser skimship, 4 land transports, 3 supply ships, 2 destroyer transports, 1 Unity chopper

Looks like my strategy is getting rusty in the fast-transcend techniques. I forgot about an important factor: global trade. A few turns ago I got the tech for the global trade pact and get it voted by the council (with some persuasion). To maximize the effect I also made pact with all the factions (had to throw in some techs to convince some of them). Anyway, the point is that I just realized then, how huge effect it makes on the lab output of the few cities that do get trades. Unfortunately, the pirates have very few cities, so only 3-4 of my cities get that nice extra income. So, my new idea: instead of building cities for myself, I start shipping colony pods to lands closer to the pirate factions, plant them there and then gift them to the pirates. This way, I can get trade in more of my cities. I should have started this much earlier, then I could already enjoy the benefits...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrik
                            jimmytrick-
                            Do you remember what faction/tactics were used in that early transcend?

If we want to do it as a challenge, I still want the option of making it possible to play as several different factions, because I know some people would want Zakharov (most), and others may want other factions (I like Morgan).
                            My memory isn't too good at my age.

I "think" we had a challenge game and the best show was in the twenties. We all played the same map and I am sure it was a University game. But it could have been a smaller map. As for tactics I don't remember but I assume everyone was building energy parks.

And it would have been SMAC for sure.

I am currently trying a SMACX University game against two Dees, two Morgans, and two Lals. I don't think I'll do very well, not enough starting land mass and one of the Dees is right next door. Also, I missed the HGP. Probably get there in the forties or early fifties.

When I built the EG I found that the other factions are sitting on 16 artifacts. Maybe I should play against six Zaks. That will be my next try.

Comment

Year 2171
                              Population: 175
                              Number of bases: 67
                              Technology: 38 (I'm too lazy to list them anymore...)
                              Researching: Adv.Subat.Theory (1 turn left), speed 2 truns/tech
                              Energy: 144, earning 21/turn, allocation 90%labs, 10% economy
                              SE: democratic, green, knowledge, none
                              Secret Projects: Weather Paradigm, Planetary Transit System, Energy Grid,
                              Cloudbase Academy
                              Units: 10 colony pods, 3 drop colony pods, 70 formers, 3 sea formers, 1 scout, 2 unity rover, 8 worms, 5 spore launchers, 2 alien artifacts, 1 unity foil, 21 crawlers, 1 isle of deep, 1 laser skimship, 4 land transports, 3 supply ships, 4 destroyer transports, 1 Unity chopper

The base gifting technique is working, micromanagement is getting to be boring with so many bases and formers...

Jimmytrick, I think you are right, the best would be to play with 7 zaks, you can get them to do much better work. Even if you don't enslave them, you can still use them by trading techs. You just have to keep them cooperative throughout the game (that may require some gift techs).
                              Attached Files

Comment

Year 2181
                                Population: 326
                                Number of bases: 88
                                Technology: 49 (I'm too lazy to list them anymore...)
                                Researching: Applied Relativity (1 turn left), speed 1 turn/tech
                                Energy: 682, earning 221/turn, allocation 90%labs, 10% economy
                                SE: democratic, green, knowledge, none
                                Secret Projects: Weather Paradigm, Planetary Transit System, Energy Grid,
                                Cloudbase Academy
                                Units: 1 colony pods, 3 drop colony pods, 104 formers, 10 sea formers, 1 scout, 2 unity rover, 13 worms, 7 spore launchers, 7 alien artifacts, 1 unity foil, 31 crawlers, 4 isle of deep, 1 laser skimship, 4 land transports, 3 supply ships, 4 destroyer transports

Upgrading to super formers. Stopped colony pod production and building
                                various base improvements, crawlers and energy parks. Techs coming in each turn plus extra ones from alien artifacts. I got 7 orbital power transmitters and 7 sky hydraponics labs to provide extra food and energy for all bases (they get max benefit due to Cloudbase Academy).

However, it is a very tedious game to micromanage 88 bases and over a hundred formers. I liked the tiny world fast transcend games much better. There it was a fine art to balance what is worth and squeeze the maximum productivity into the minimum time.

My faction choice (own and opponent) was not the best for this size map. I also made several tactical mistakes, so even though I might be able to finish this under 100 turns (which was my goal), but I'm sure it could have been done significantly better (5-10 turns faster).
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by zsozso; January 30, 2003, 09:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X