Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaos Theory
    replied
    Artillery should be able to destroy the vast majority of native life in any given tile. Towards the end game, keeping 3 SAM string artillery in each base for worm defense seems entirely reasonable. One unit taking on 50 demon boil mindworms is hardly guaranteed to lose since collateral damage against native life is total. On the other hand, locusts of chiron do not suffer collateral damage, so you need artillery to blast them to pieces.

A base could be reduced to size 8 from 25 by 17 locusts. Each native life unit that enters an empty base of yours blows up one building and kills a population unit.

For what it's worth, I find that in the late game, Planned and Green give me more ecodamage than FM. The reason is that by that time fungus tiles are producing 2 or 3 minerals, so that if I run non-FM, I can work those tiles and produce plenty of minerals. What happens to me is that each pop makes the next more likely until the planet floods.

Leave a comment:

• Frankychan
    replied
    Well, I did use artillery to try and take care of them, and the creds you get from them are awesome!

But as pointed out, sooner or later in the game you can only destroy 1 or 2 units. And 1 unit taking on 50 or so demon boils is going to lose. Usually most of my units are away on some campaign to destroy another faction (I deal with Drone riots by nerve stapling them-atrocities repealed)

Weird thing is that I try to "appease" Planet by building all this eco-friendly stuff, and she pays me back by destroying my Condensers and all that other good stuff. A 5 tile fungal bloom results in the same thing Lazerus describes. I've seen a base rated 25 reduced to 8 or so....for some reason they don't destroy the base.

Sometimes the attacks come after me just having 1 borehole.....I usually can't build my planetbusters cause I'm choking on fungus.

That's why I run Planned or Green. Free Market is the work of the devil!

Leave a comment:

• johndmuller
    replied
    Creches give back a bit of Wealth's morale-depressing effect to units whose home base has a Creche. Further, when they are defending the Creche base, the defenders' morale is as good as, and sometimes better than it would be without the Wealth penalty due to the benefits the Creche provides.

Armored Probes are not a bad idea for base defenders if you are running FM/Wealth, since you would not be getting any police benefits from the regular unit anyway. Res-3 Armor would be especially good for that, once you get it, but I believe that the mere fact of being armored at all will improve your odds (no non-com penalty). In any case, a probe team's morale is not affected by the Wealth modifier, but by boosts from various techs, like PolyM, as well as the usual military facilities - so you can get a decent morale probe sometimes when you are able to produce only barely capable regular units.

If you have a Creche in the base, the armored probe's main advantage would be its freedom from support charges (and of course its natural probe functions), since a 'reasonable' morale regular defender would not be hindered by the Wealth penalty and would be cheaper to build, so one might use the armored probes to occupy relatively new bases and the regular ones once you have built a Creche (which you will want to do reasonably soon), moving the armored probe defender further out to the frontier.

Leave a comment:

• Chaos Theory
    replied
    In a multiplayer game, I usually do not tend to my worm defenses. I have formers around empty, FM cities, and I hold off mindworms with those or a few scattered units either built or found in unity pods. I don't research Trance for worm defense (though I pick it up at some point for the tech).

I run the risk of losing a few units or even a base or two, but if not, I have an edge on my opponent. If I were more conservative, I would lose ground to a more aggressive opponent.

Of course, this is a bad idea if the risk of worms is too high, so I need to pay attention to my borders and adjust my strategy to the native life threat, but usually being apathetic to the worm threat is the best course of action.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Harley
    replied
    One thing you can do when beelining to FM, instead of going for Inducstial Economics (wealth), instead research Social Psych first to get the Rec Commons (if you cannot trade for it). Until then if you run 20% psych you can still let most bases build to two population without drone riots, and you still have a better research rate then any other Economic choice! Then go for wealth, and then Secrects of the Human Mind for Trance Scouts - you'll need them against the mindworms .

Leave a comment:

• Lazerus
    replied
    I once got around 25+ demon boils each in 4 squares and yes i had around 7 bases in that area with close to a thousand eco damage each, i was trying to drown the AI for a laugh

and besides the cash you get from them is awesome

Leave a comment:

• Chaos Theory
    replied
    All mindworms suffer grievously until 2115, but mindworms against bases also suffer substantially until 2150.

Leave a comment:

• obstructor
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaos Theory

I'm pretty sure that even an unarmored former in a base defends against native life without a penalty, though it does suffer the -50% when out in the open. Furthermore, worms attack bases at a substantial penalty before 2150.
    Isn`t substantial penalty which allows all mind worms to be easily dispatched only until 2115 (-25percent for mind worms) or is there another penalty after that?

I am playing no transcend all the time and I am pretty sure that -25 percent penalty lasts until 2115.

Leave a comment:

• Flubber
    replied
    Originally posted by Frankychan
    It's not fun when a fungal bloom happens and the fungal tiles all have 10 or so demon boils on them.
    If you have a drop artillery or two , its a simple formula-- bombard them once or twice to knock their health down to about 10% or so and then watch a basic scout easily kill them.

Although I also wonder what you are doing to get SO many worms-- IS it atrocities because absent them I don't see how you would get so many worms ( assuming you are building treefarms and hybrid forests as a normal part of your game

Leave a comment:

• Starfarer
    replied
    I've found that that only happens late game... when it's going ot happen anyway.

My God, Franky, do you have triple-digit eco-damage or something? I mean... ouch. What are you DOING do that poor planet? I've NEVER had any fungal bloom with more than about five worms of middle-to-high lifecycle at best earlier than when I start getting close enough to Transcendance to get the interludes for Kai (Or whoever) downlaoding himself to a computer.

Poor planet... I bet it needs a band-aid.

Leave a comment:

• Frankychan
    replied
    Shoot, I tried messing with Free Market and Wealth and even though the credits flow like water, the resulting mindworm attacks, fungal blooms and drone riots aren't worth it.

It's not fun when a fungal bloom happens and the fungal tiles all have 10 or so demon boils on them.

Leave a comment:

• Hercules
    replied
    Chaos Theory:

I'm pretty sure that even an unarmored former in a base defends against native life without a penalty, though it
    does suffer the -50% when out in the open. Furthermore, worms attack bases at a substantial penalty before
    Didn't know that, Thank you

Leave a comment:

• The Mad Monk
    replied
    In my current game (my first on transcend!), I've deployed a "sensor net" around my home islands, composed of best armor/trance/radar trawlers, 2 -3 vessels deep in all directions. I have about 200 of the buggers, mostly commando.

The AI still occasionally attacks them directly, but mostly they try to rush past and hope I don't notice.

Leave a comment:

• Jac de Molay
    replied
    I do the same, and upgrade crawlers to trance/silksteel when I pick up the techs. By then, I have so many crawlers, it creates a huge turgid mess for worms or enemies trying to attack..

The planet penalty for FM is almost laughable compared to the energy boost you get..

Leave a comment:

• The Mad Monk
    replied
    I armor and trance everything. It really cuts down on the FM worm damage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X