Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People plant their bases too early! (I am the best SMAC player)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People plant their bases too early! (I am the best SMAC player)

People seem to have the habit of instantly planting their colony pod right at the start. This is definitely the wrong thing to do. One must use the 'Look first option' for it is gold by its weight alone.

What must be done instead, you should be exploring and popping pods with the colony pod. This allows you to plan your new base site far better than if you plant that base in haste.

If you manage to explore their entire continent before you plant your first base, you can place your captial in the centre of the continent, and this means you don't have to move your headquarters later.

Also having that extra unit popping pods means that you will be more likely to get free units, those lovely Ogres or have that colony pod cloned.

This is an significant advantage in that you pop more pods that other players and hence will be able to have a larger number of free units. This is especially important for the support crippled Morgan, or university. However not as important for Yang or Miriamn

Finally aside from Zak who gets bonus network nodes in his cities. Using your initial pod to pop pods means you will get your first tech faster. This is because every pod that you pop gives you 1 extra tech. Usually your first tech is 15 lab points with standard maps. This means you only need to pop 15 pods before you can get your first tech.

As pods often gives units this means you have an exponential rate of pod popping, as the cloned units, unity units, and AA can also be used to pop pods.

Plus, I am the best! Next, SPs are over-rated.
    Promoter of Public Morale
    Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Tremendous insight, but we already know who's best .
    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Yeah, get off ya bike, Vev, we know that blockhead can beat you. I bet you have your formers wasting time building roads, instead of solar panals.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I am not a poser! I am the real deal!

Comment

You suck ! I'm the best ! My useless ICS strategy beats all !!!
          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Comrades! I can't believe this! Don't you have better things to do? You know, come to think of it, not to plant your base IS an excellant idea. You know when they want to PB you, you could always run! What base could do that?
            Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Allthough SMAC's AI sucks, I think it really could beat a player with no bases.

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean

Asmodean
                in civ 2 it was possible to win by conquest with no cities - the famous "no city challenge" based on the idea that you get only good results from popping huts until you have a city - and if you get units out of the huts early, you can exponentially pop huts till you have enough of an army to beat everybody.

I presume SMAC fixed this?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean

Asmodean

NOt always-- Try the nomad challenge where you paly on a tiny world as dee or the cult. You grow an army through worm captures and conquer the world, eradicating every base as soon as you capture it. Tiny world is advised since the challenge is pretty much impossible if any faction is on a different landmass (unless a pod pop yields a boat).
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Are you kidding me

Okay...I'll have to try this one out.

Asmodean
                    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

ok so if you use this strategy what do you do if you pop a pod and find mindworms..? Seems to me like it would leave to much of a chance of loosing that first colony pod. Especially if you run into another faction...
                      A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Originally posted by dacole
                        ok so if you use this strategy what do you do if you pop a pod and find mindworms..? Seems to me like it would leave to much of a chance of loosing that first colony pod. Especially if you run into another faction...
                        Vev's not really serious. He is doing a parody of a poster in another Thread who, before his suspension from Apolyton, was either pretending to or was actually experiencing symptoms, best explained by the medical text DSM IV.

Mead

Comment

Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by dacole
                            The first two mindworms dee finds seem to always be converted.

Comment

I would think if you kept the scout and pod together until you had captured a few worms that would be good protection

Huummm, I must go try this now!
                              But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
                              PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Working...
                              X