Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMac722
    replied
    Usually I Build condensers in the dunes automaticly making them rainy and therefore good for farming. But besides the dunes I usually always build forests in all land squares except mines in rocky and mineral bonus squares, condesers and farms in nutrient bonus squares and farms and echelon mirrors in energy bonus squares. Then I also construct a Road network between my cites and I agree tht forests in the Jungle make for an extremely productive area.

------------------
    And I asked him,
    What is thy name?
    And he replied saying:
    My Name is iMac: for we
    are many..

Leave a comment:

• RedFred
    replied
    In general yes, the wetter the land the more the forests will expand. The dunes and Unity crash sites seem to be the exception to the rule though. This is based strictly on observation, I can't recall seeing any documentation to confirm that these are somehow favoured by forests.

Leave a comment:

• Theben
    replied
    Vel, Ogie-

Are you sure about the forests expanding into arid? I almost never have that happen. In fact I usually build condensers in arid solely for the purpose of increasing the moisture and (presumably) increasing the chances of forests growing on their own.

Leave a comment:

• LoD
    replied
    skiguy: The Nessus Canyon is a landmark present on the Map of Planet. It's not generated at random - if you want it, you have to make it by yourself (it has a tag in the Scenario Editor). To find out what bonuses it can posses, see previous posts by other players.

LoD

Leave a comment:

• skiguy500
    replied
    What is the Nessus Canyon and where can I get it?

Leave a comment:

• LoD
    replied
    Just one comment - New Sargasso is great when you're running green. This is the place where you can farm mind worms, raking in cash, increasing their morale and capturing new ones (mind you, if you capture an IoD, you usually get 1-2 MWs with it).
    Same goes with the Ruins, adding to the already huge power of this landmark.

LoD

Leave a comment:

• Jasonian
    replied
    Yeah I meant the reef...

Having a landmark only one factin can use, and only late in the game, is the most useless thing I can imagine in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Sikander
    replied
    The reef is in the game for Sven, who can improve deep ocean squares after he gets (advanced ecological engineering?). So yea, most of the time it does nothing for you.

Leave a comment:

• BustaMike
    replied
    Surely you mean the reef. The geothermal shallows give +1 energy and are all shelf squares making them great for either suppyly crawling or building sea bases in.

Leave a comment:

• Jasonian
    replied
    Nothing wrong with the great dunes. It's a bad landmark, but it's a GOOD bad landmark. It's the one you hate to see when you scout stumbles into it. No other landmark does that for me, and that's why dunes does it's job well.

Geothermal shallows are POINTLESS! All those deep squares are so useless, who cares about +1 minerals when that's ALL you get? Raising them by convetional methods destroys them, so what's the point? Ehhh...

I personally love Nessus Canyon. Mineral bonus, PLUS river energy, PLUS rich green squares from on the river means one excellenet city. Since it's got so much going for it, it can be a reserach center, industrial plaza, or all-around type city.

Leave a comment:

• Ogie Oglethorpe
    replied
    re: Dunes

Vel's right forest works well in Dunes country. Unfortunately though that appears to be the only good option t-forming wise to get nutrients. No amount of condensors will aid the raininess so a condensor/farm just doesn't cut it.

Conversely condensor/farms do work in unity wreckage and U-flats sites.

[This message has been edited by Ogie Oglethorpe (edited May 10, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• Velociryx
    replied
    One thing to keep in mind re: the Dunes (and this also applies to the flats and Unity wreckage) is that forests tend to expand on their own like wildfire into arid squares....this can save you an enormous amount of terraforming time and, in my mind, dramatically increases their value. You can usually be assured of finding a couple of Nutrient Resource bonuses in those locations, and that coupled with the rapid forest expansion makes them pretty sweet....

-=Vel=-
    (trying to find the silver lining? LOL)

Leave a comment:

• Enigma
    replied
    Helium Pond-
    That is exactly my paradigm- except that the mines are all but useless if they are not build on rocky squares. All of the squares surrounding Mt. Planet are not always rocky. On random maps Mt. planet is usually 2/3 rocky or so.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Nessus Canyon isn't generated by the map builder. It CAN be put into a map using the editor.

It's actually a pretty sweet landmark -> + 1 mineral in every square. That's the same as Garland Crater, but there are generally (at least on the maps I've played with it) more squares in the Canyon than there are 'sweet spot' squares in the Crater. Additionally, it provides the +1 energy of a river. Put a forest on it for 1/3/2 before building a treefarm. That's a handsome payoff for 4 terraforming turns!

Leave a comment:

• Helium Pond
    replied
    Mount Planet makes me drool because of the 6 minerals you can get out of mines. Energy, yeah whatever. In the early game I crave productivity. I'm always thrilled to pickles to be put next to the Mount.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X