X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEO Aaron
    replied
    Originally posted by AMD4EVER
    The problem with Morgan though is that they can get technology but only while running FM and Research and of course this makes it difficult to have any army at all. Morgan is the only faction that has to decide whether to go after technology or military while all other factions can do both at once.
    Morgan can get crazy energy while running Fundy/Green/Wealth, and still build very tough military units, provided you've built creches in every base. The 20% research penalty is more than compensated for by the extra energy per square, not to mention the commerce value of any submissive factions you've crushed underfoot with your clean armed forces.

You can also go on the offensive using Free Market quite easily, once you've built the requisite infrastructure. A base or two with a punishment sphere will handily take care of homing all your objectionalbe military units, or if that doesn't suit your taste, there's always Ascetic Virtues and Brood pits.

Originally posted by Gufnork
    Santiago is hardly weak either. She kicks behind. So does her faction. It's hard to win when playing it though.
    Here's my arguments for Santiago as the weakest faction, you can accept them or refute them as you desire:

1) Industry. This is really the biggest, IMO, but Santiago has an innate penalty to industry, meaning she loses critical turn-advantage in the early game, usually lagging 1-2 turns behind in early builds of colony pods and formers. As the game progresses, those lost turns stack up as a cumulative loss of turn-advantage takes effect. As any of the vets here can tell you, turn-advantage is most critical early on, and you can usually tell who's going to be in charge during the midgame by discovering who plants their first expansion bases in the early game.

2) Morale. You said it yourself, with the right SE choices and/or facilites, it's not too hard for anyone to start fielding elite troops, so all her innate morale bonus gives is a bit more flexibility. Also, the only really useful aspect of high morale is the extra square of movement elite units enjoy, and smart play and above all higher production can easily overwhelm that advantage.

3) Free prototypes? Please. An ability that mimics a fairly useless midgame facility, especially one you only ever need to build one or two of, is hardly anything to write home about.

4) Police. Okay, now we're getting somewhere, having a high police rating can seriously help with drones, allowing you to forego building expensive, but to make best use of this you need to run a police state, and if your troops are at home keeping rioters out of the streets, they can hardly be out in the field crushing your enemies. Besides, what's the point of quelling drones if your craptastic efficiency makes more of them for you, and keeps your energy income low to boot?

Originally posted by Gufnork
    Use your starting cash wisely to survive in the beginning though, that's when you're weak.
    Read this: http://www.civgaming.net/smac/acad_buildprimer.shtml

Leave a comment:

• Gufnork
    replied
    I disagree with Svensgaard being weak. They're hard to play, though. Santiago is hardly weak either. She kicks behind. So does her faction. It's hard to win when playing it though (I know that was pointless, but I refuse to call Spartans weak!). It's easy enough to get elite troops without their morale bonus, all that does is give them leeway in SE choices. No wealth and -1 industry means a crap start, however. I can't see how the comp can do so well with them compared to other factions.

As for Morgan, probes are your friends. Switch to wealth and buy any army they throw at you. FM too and you're unstoppable. Use your starting cash wisely to survive in the beginning though, that's when you're weak.

Leave a comment:

• AMD4EVER
    replied
    I've never had a problem winning with any faction except Morgan. Perhaps it is just my strategy that is weak when I use Morgan although my strategy often is to just sit back and grow instead of going to war.

Santiago can get Elites easily and once they have those running around, all other factions quickly crumble in front of a wave of land and air power. Santiago I rate as one of the most powerful factions although there is no debating that the University is by far the most threatening. A powerful technological nation is always going to defeat a powerful army nation IMO. The problem with Morgan though is that they can get technology but only while running FM and Research and of course this makes it difficult to have any army at all. Morgan is the only faction that has to decide whether to go after technology or military while all other factions can do both at once.

However, I never thought that my 9 bases in the current game I'm playing would stand up against 30+ Spartan bases when it came to technology and faction dominance. Currently our two factions are the most powerful, but my technology is expanding every 5 years while Spartan tech is every 21 years. In the end I doubt the powerful Spartans will pose a threat to me although the Gaians and their technology will pose a threat.

Leave a comment:

• CEO Aaron
    replied
    Weakest faction in the game? Bleah. Utter ignorance. Have a look at some of Hendrik or Ogie's posts on Morgan's strategy, and you'll see just how mighty all that energy is. For weakest faction in the game, I give you the industry-crippled duo: Santiago or Svensgaard.

Anyway, this looks like a textbook case of how to get the mono-maniacal AI to cripple itself on a well-defended point. When the AI faction goes into Vendetta mode, it simply cranks out attack units to the exclusion of all else, and will fling them at you willy-nilly until one of you is dead. Once you had sufficiently powerful units, the AI obedient to it's programming counted your units and it's bases and decided it had no chance, and summarily gave up. Not too suprising, since it probably hadn't planted a base since you first plopped that rover in his backyard.

Leave a comment:

• AMD4EVER
    started a topic Yang surrenders for no apparent reason

Yang surrenders for no apparent reason

New game I started yesterday on transend. Decided to go Morgan for the challenge of playing probably the weakest faction in the game and put on max fungus.

I started out at the far south of the map but was on a very large continent consuming much of the center of the world. I discovered Yang to my North about 20 years into the game. He quickly declare vendetta against me so I figured the smartest thing for me to do would be to put the rover I discovered them with into a key choke point and upgrade its defense to synthmetal. That chokepoint was on rocks and right next to one of Yangs bases.

Yang refused to attack my rover throughout this entire war for some reason but did find another longerway around to get to my bases. He kept attacking the base that I had at the center of The Ruins. No big deal, I just defended that base with the latest technology.

After launching my ships about 150 years in, Yang is still hacking away at that Ruin base but has accomplished nothing except knocking over 2 of the monoliths. I take a look around our continent which is empty except for us. Yang could have held all the land to the North but he refused to focus on anything except me. Deirde and Santiago had become the two most powerful factions followed closely by myself and Lal had become world leader. My rover was still holding its ground at the choke point and it was supped up with a chaos gun and silk steel.

Finally about 200 years in Yang contacted me about a blood truce. At this time I was just beginning to get annoyed with Yang and started building some advanced rovers to go fight against him. They hadn't even been finished when he made this proposal to me. His factions power was about 1/4 of my power but neither of us had taken a single base in this whole 200 year war. So I refuse the blood truce and to my shock and surprise the next thing he does is offer to surrender. I've never been able to get the Hive to surrender easily in the first place so seeing this occur was an absolute shock to me. It was an extremely strange event that I cannot explain.

Anyways in another strange event afterwards, with most of his techs at 25% or less, he somehow managed to start studying Orbital Spaceflight and was the first faction to get this technology which he quickly handed over to me, and then he also managed to study Doctrine: Air Power before anyone else. I couldn't figure this one out either but since he was handing all his techs over to me I didn't mind.
Working...
X