Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we have democracy with the Believers?
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• By selecting the proper SE-choice perhaps? (provided that is the majority's choice )
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• An SP game might be fun
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoModder
          Oh no's, there comes the faction war again.

Believers all the way!!!

HMm would you really want something Bland like the peacekeepers? I would think you would want soemthing very different.

For a better challenge try the CULT
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

By selecting the proper SE-choice perhaps? (provided that is the majority's choice )
            But since they're committed to Fundy, and since half their quotes are anti-democracy, it's hardly consistent in any way.

I think we have to play a faction that at least allows RP, even if it doesn't directly aid it. Doing a DG with parties while playing the Believers removes that entirely.

The PKs are versatile - you can play any style with them, whether research, war, building - anything. And they naturally go with a democracy game, and with the RPing that made it fun. They make playing as a team consistent, they make parties, debates, elections and having turnchats consistent and plausible. The game isn't interesting because of what faction we are, it's about the style we plan in and the way we play it. You can play any style, try out new gameplay tricks or anything with the PKs, while being more in keeping with the way we play it than any other faction.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• As I said: the faction was has yet again started.

RP isn't only possible with the PK's. It's all in the participants' mind. And why should the Believers me committed to Fundamentalism alone? Or whatever faction to there core "belief". Main point for me is that repeating the glory days of a past DG isn't possible, nor desirable. We're here now, and personally I prefer to play with a faction that is a bit more difficult in some way, and allows a wider range of attitudes to roleplay with.
              He who knows others is wise.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Main point for me is that repeating the glory days of a past DG isn't possible, nor desirable. We're here now, and personally I prefer to play with a faction that is a bit more difficult in some way, and allows a wider range of attitudes to roleplay with.
                What GeoModder well said.

I see that there is a confusion here. "Democracy game" doesn't mean that we have to use a democratic agenda in game. Democracy signifies democratic agenda when dealing with game participants, not the agenda or the SE of the faction attempting to be roleplayed.

Roleplaying a different faction doesn't mean that it won't be a democracy game - all decisions are still made by elections and debates. Instead of discussion aiming to mimic representative systems, the players can represent the faction members with full political rights. In democracy games players do not take place of the entire body of a faction, but of political and decision making figures in the faction. If you understand this, there is no set limit on roleplaying in democracy games.

Considering that most of us are well familiar with representative systems from everyday life, why not seek to roleplay something different? Alpha Centauri Fundamentalist Game is a Alpha Centauri Democracy Game, despite the name.

Elections and debates can represent various things: Junta tactical plans, election of a new bishop, stockholders voting in favour of current policy etc. In different factions the situation will vary: while all adult Peacekeeper, Drone or Gaian faction members have both political rights, University will be run mostly by scientists, in Sparta citizenship will be restricted to military, Morgan society is nominally equal but only rich are influential, etc.

Our only limit is our imagination.
                Last edited by Illuminatus; January 5, 2006, 15:25.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• Oh, and good luck with current demogame.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• What GeoModder well said.

I see that there is a confusion here. "Democracy game" doesn't mean that we have to use a democratic agenda in game. Democracy signifies democratic agenda when dealing with game participants, not the agenda or the SE of the faction attempting to be roleplayed.

Roleplaying a different faction doesn't mean that it won't be a democracy game - all decisions still are still made by elections and debates. Instead of discussion aiming to mimic representative systems, the players can represent the faction members with full political rights. In democracy games players do not take place of the entire body of a faction, but of political and decision making figures in the game. If you understand this, there is no set limit on roleplaying in democracy games.

Considering that most of us are well familiar with representative systems from everyday life, why not seek to roleplay something different? Alpha Centauri Fundamentalist Game is a Alpha Centauri Democracy Game, despite the name.

Elections and debates can represent various things: Junta tactical plans, election of a new bishop, stockholders voting in favour of current policy etc. In different factions the situation will vary: while all adult Peacekeeper, Drone or Gaian faction members have both political rights, University will be run mostly by scientists, in Sparta it will citizenship will be restricted to military, Morgan society is nominally equal but only rich are influential, etc.

Our only limit is our imagination.
                    QFT

posts like that make me want to start the game yesterday
                    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• Good good.

But some factions are more desirable from a roleplay point of view (read: newspapers, faction datalinks, history book writings, party programs, minigames) than others. Here´s what I can imagine:

Peacekeepers
                      -> many political parties, many statistical datasheets to compile

Morgans
                      -> minigame: stock market, with each member having his own company and ingame-linked share prices; members buying estates, harvesting the profits

Spartans
                      -> rank system, personal units, orders/medals

Pirates
                      -> personal ships, loot accumulation, personal homebases

University
                      -> members are professors, lots of funny research to roleplay; Maybe something like a Nobel price each decade for the most innovative invention

Gaia
                      -> large zoological interest leads to each member having his/her own zoo of mindworms (personal units?), the more/larger, the more influence they get (capture mindworms with your own one and they will belong to you too)

Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                      Let me eat your yummy brain!
                      "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• I would like to have a compilation of ingame data in some sort of hyperlink database. We could write articles for each of our bases, telling the characteristics, geography, history and economic development as well as some stories connected to it. The same could be made for members, units, techs, factions and landmarks.
                        The thread would have a register in the first post with links to the different articles which would be added by additional posts. Discussion and Spam would have to be kept out, of course.

I loved the regional threads of ACDG1, especially the one of Maniac´s xyz freestate (sorry, don´t remember the exact name, but it was great!). Each member would chose a base to live in, and the regions (should we implement them) could then boast with the importance of its inhabitants

Argh, I´d love to get started now!
                        Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                        Let me eat your yummy brain!
                        "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• Originally posted by Micha
                          Good good.

But some factions are more desirable from a roleplay point of view (read: newspapers, faction datalinks, history book writings, party programs, minigames) than others. Here´s what I can imagine:

Peacekeepers
                          -> many political parties, many statistical datasheets to compile

Morgans
                          -> minigame: stock market, with each member having his own company and ingame-linked share prices; members buying estates, harvesting the profits

Spartans
                          -> rank system, personal units, orders/medals

Pirates
                          -> personal ships, loot accumulation, personal homebases

University
                          -> members are professors, lots of funny research to roleplay; Maybe something like a Nobel price each decade for the most innovative invention

Gaia
                          -> large zoological interest leads to each member having his/her own zoo of mindworms (personal units?), the more/larger, the more influence they get (capture mindworms with your own one and they will belong to you too)

Believers
                          -> advancing through ranking system, regular sermons instead of speeches, managing your diocese (base+preaching to "residents" of your diocese), debating the morals for every action, newspaper reminds you need to dissent from more and more things, random inquisition runs, rapid change of government by selecting a antisister/brother and watch as two leaders excommunicate each other as internal groups side with one or another, reformation, holy warriors against immoral AI factions

To support GeoModder's original suggestion.

I think only Drones and Progenitor factions are hard to use as background for roleplaying. I'll start presenting each society and possible highlights tommorow.

I would like to have a compilation of ingame data in some sort of hyperlink database.
                          Last edited by Illuminatus; January 5, 2006, 17:29.

Comment

• He who knows others is wise.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Reading post from Micha...
                              Morgans or Pirates sound the best for me
                              Mart
                              Map creation contest
                              WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

• I like the 'we must dissent' theme.
                                I will make a decent preacher.
                                So decent, you get tired of me (if aren't already)..
                                -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X