Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The roleplaying - rather than 4 small roleplaying sets going on, we have one large one - people with agenda's (environmental, science, workers rights, etc.) adding flavour and elaboration to our choices, people having cabinet positions, elections, the balance of power, really getting into what the game is about by having a personality that isn't just down to gameplay.

The gameplay - we have an amalgumation of 20 or 30 peoples styles. We get to see how it's played by all sorts of people, and have elections/debates/discussions to decide what we actually do. We can try and do silly things - win while keeping the Planet unpolluted, transcend, etc. because as well as facing a tough AI opponent.

The practicalities - we had turnchats last time - every week we played 7 turns with the whole cabinet (and anyone else who wanted to) in an IRC chatroom. The turn's played by the leader, who polls for thigns that happen, etc. Everyone gave orders for the 7 years to be played. It makes it much faster, we can discuss for longer and poll science and ideas more, and yet the game flows much better with stopping and starting every year.

All in all, it was a *lot* more fun, for me at least. I've played in an SPDG, led a team in a team DG and (albeit not done much) been moderator for a team DG. The first was easily the most fun. Sure, it was less exact about the gameplay, because there was both gameplay and roleplay that was considered in making decisions - gameplay came into the roleplay with the actual effects it would have, and roleplay affected the gameplay by adding a dimension of how we want to win and our principles. Moreover, it was an actual *democracy* game. No team now elects their leader, and as well as the fun and side part that brought, we had a real feeling of working as a team. We were one team with many differing aims, and that was the fun part, the inerplay but with a communal team.

A lil more than 6 sentances (sorry), but skimming it will give you the idea of what I mean
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• /me avoids sleep with a quick Hive Mind Stuff
      Smile

Comment

• hey,pass me somma that...
        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• Look what I discovered about postcounts of certain brothers:

GeoModder 8969
          Maniac 8972

SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• Darn, you saw right through my ploy!
            (and this post was the equalizer )
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoModder
              Darn, you saw right through my ploy!
              (and this post was the equalizer )
              That's scandalous. You should know your place, little one.
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• So what is present preference among interested?
                SPDG
                MPDG

I think playing both games might be good, and multiplayer additionally could be this time SMAC. There are a lot of people who do not have xfire extension. This way we might attract more players. How many persons you need for a good MPDG? I think with only 3 per faction it is possible. It is already a team. Large chance for slow-downs, that is true. But it is better to play than not to play.
                Mart
                Map creation contest
                WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

• SPDG sounds better mainly because people will really be part of a big team rather then some *ahum* losing faction. :-p

anywayssss I vote SPDG (maybe get a poll going somewhere)
                  -=/+\ Wuy3 /+\=-

Comment

• MPDG

That said, i see a 2-3 person team as likelier to fall by the wayside. but it would be cool to do. however, i was under the impression popular support was for SPDG

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• SPDG Everyone who hasn't yet really should try it. We've had 2 MPDGs in a row now, time for something different.
                      Smile

Comment

• If its half as fun as the civ2 SPDG,it would rock

although im more likely just having one of those 'jaded memories' moments where everything in the past seems better...

Comment

• I would recommend also better setup for SPDG. The Hive SPDG game, that one that "died" had not a very elaborate faction placement. Seemed too artifical for me.
                          Mart
                          Map creation contest
                          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

• SP is far better than MP

The first one (as Peacekeepers) was great! I´d love to have another one of that, that´s for sure! SP! SP! SP!
                            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                            Let me eat your yummy brain!
                            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• Yay! I'd say got for PKs again too - it goes well with the roleplay, since we can then have the burocracy, RP, parties, elections and democracy element and really play the character of the faction
                              Smile

Comment

• Oh no's, there comes the faction war again.

Believers all the way!!!
                                He who knows others is wise.
                                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                                X