Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faction advantages and tactics: Us (CyCon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faction advantages and tactics: Us (CyCon)

This is likely extremely obvious to most if not all members here, but I am no SMAX veteran. In fact I have played with comparatively few factions and won with even fewer, so many many many aspects of the game are not well-known to me.

Hence this thread. We are CyCon, and we have some advantages over the other teams, and also some detriments.

Can someone (or everyone) please tell all what they have done in the past to best use our advantages and protect against our failings? This could give us all a slightly more well-rounded understanding of general CyCon tactics (even SP experience could be good).

Anyone can look up in the manual, but I am looking for an explanation of these faction specificities and a practical guide to how they work in the real game, not just on paper.

Cheers.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

You have me as your benevolent, peaceful god

And MWIA: Your sig is outdated.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

We research as quickly at the University, only we don't have free network nodes. We have no probe penalty, and we have +2 efficiency. We have -1 growth. We've taken advantage of the +2 efficiency to counter the -1 growth by switching to planned. Unfortunately our dealings with PEACE have led us to lag a little in the tech race, so we aren't taking full advantage of that. However, we have another ability that we hope to soon make ver strong use of... techsteal. Whenever we capture a base, we automatically steal a tech they have. This will prove very useful in the upcoming war.
      Comrade Corellion, Secretary of Science and Social Engineering for the Human Hive in the Alpha Centauri Police State Game (ACPSG).
      Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
      The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.

Comment

And just to clarify Corellion's point, I disabled techsteal in the game settings (the CyCon override that disabling) so no other faction can tech steal upon base capture.

And if the game ever reaches the future SE choices, the CC are immune to the -3 Police negative associated with the Cybernetic SE choice

G.

Comment

we cycon we powerfull
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

As to your question on how to protect against our failings. Quite a while ago I proposed to build the HGP, so we could get pop booms with Demo/Planned/CC and Golden Age, despite our -1 Growth, but in the meanwhile the Hive built the HGP, so we're more or less screwed.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

We have played PEACE royally, taken two techs, and we have Non Math and cruisers while they have no synth defenders and laser weapons. We also have the MCC (naval yards and extra movement).

The efficiency is always used, the research we have done well, 13 techs in 45 turns IIRC, although we are not quite in the lead (near the top). We have a very good selection of bases, allies, have formers quite a bit and are crawling. We have the option, it seems, of a co-op victory (almost assured). We're looking good IMHO.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

We'll be able to win back some ground in the tech race once we assimilate those Pirates and the PUT is isolated

Comment

Exactly. Sorry I haven't sent the PMs regarding our situation, I've been so busy lately I will start a thread instead, for all players to contribute about opur faction, what we've done, where we are, what we've planned, where we're going, etc. All new members feel free to voice your opinions, and discuss the direction of our great faction
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                    We have played PEACE royally, taken two techs, and we have Non Math and cruisers while they have no synth defenders and laser weapons. We also have the MCC (naval yards and extra movement).

The efficiency is always used, the research we have done well, 13 techs in 45 turns IIRC, although we are not quite in the lead (near the top). We have a very good selection of bases, allies, have formers quite a bit and are crawling.
                    We have the option, it seems, of a co-op victory (almost assured). We're looking good IMHO.
                    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                    Let me eat your yummy brain!
                    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Another invading Hiverian!
                      /me goes to invade Hive forums
                      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

An option, I might add, that was ruined only by the Hive. And doubtless by those unknown, silent voters we never heard of, when we were getting positive signals from the turnplayers. Voters like you perhaps.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Well you shouldn't have listened to Jamski when he kept telling you the hive was being directed by an group of elites.

The turnplayers/heads ran things, but we took the opinions of others in the game very seriously. Even more seriously than our own opinions in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

The efficiency is always used, the research we have done well, 13 techs in 45 turns IIRC, although we are not quite in the lead (near the top). We have a very good selection of bases, allies, have formers quite a bit and are crawling. We have the option, it seems, of a co-op victory (almost assured). We're looking good IMHO.
                            The truth comes out .

I actually figured that betrayal was in the wind BUT knew if PEACE was going to have any chance of winning, we had to cement an ally. Trading and giving techs to the cycons, which led to our quick defeat, ironically was the only route open to even have a chance to win.

I do laugh when I see the cycons belief that they had a chance to win at this stage. The Hive-Drone alliance was apparent and frankly they didn't need anyone else, especially if the cycons made their task easier by wasting resources on a war at the expense of their infrastructure.
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I actually figured that betrayal was in the wind BUT knew if PEACE was going to have any chance of winning, we had to cement an ally. Trading and giving techs to the cycons, which led to our quick defeat, ironically was the only route open to even have a chance to win.

I do laugh when I see the cycons belief that they had a chance to win at this stage. The Hive-Drone alliance was apparent and frankly they didn't need anyone else, especially if the cycons made their task easier by wasting resources on a war at the expense of their infrastructure.
                              I was completely surprised that you guys had broken up I admit. I had figured the three of you pirates/university/cycon would had joined together. That's what I would have done if the situations were reversed.

Comment

Working...
                              X