Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mistake here was my doing. The editor let's you input both positive and negative numbers for both the happy and unhappy settings, so I thought that the unhappy box would turn unhappy people into content people. I am pretty sure that I used another building or wonder as a guide for this, though I don't know if it was something from the Balancer or the original game.

The unit settings are also mostly mine. I used my experience in the Ctp games as a guide for this. Elucidus has already contacted me about having a greater increase from one age to the next. I have been pretty well satisfied with the current combat results.
    What we need is feedback from everyone interested in this, not just those that think they need changing.

If this seems confusing, this is what happened. I took the 1.5 Balancer bic, and started making my own changes to it, intending to release it as the Medieval Pack III eventually. I had just about finished making all the bic changes I thought necessary and had the bugs worked out enough to release it as a beta, when Rob (Elucidus) contected me about resurrecting the Balancer. He had done a lot of graphics stuff, and since I don't have the time to do everything for the mod, we agreed to combine our efforts, and use the Balancer name since it was already established here.
    Thus, most of the changes made to the game are from me, and Elucidus and Rhuarc have come back to continue running the thread and posting the mod, as well as the various other time-consuming jobs like adding things to the bic and helping decide on further changes and additions to the mod. Future changes will be a community effort, and hopefully Rob can take care of the new graphics and any additional changes needed to the Civilopedia, etc.
    Last edited by WesW; March 19, 2002, 01:49.

Comment

• And now we have two geniuses behind the mod, WesWa and Elucidus! Keep checking back everybody, we are planning a lot of things for the mod and you can find out all about them on The Balancer mod website!!
      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

• i know that there are a number of differences in our respective mods, and our approaches to them have been somewhat different, so while i do not think that it has came to a point where they are similar enough in scope to merge, i do think that we should try to maybe compare bic files and see what changes we've made, what problems we ran into and what we think really works

i would be more than happy to collaborate with you guys even if we don't ever plan on merging, how does that should to all of you?

Comment

• Korn,

I am always ready and willing to share thoughts and ideas, even if we never join forces. Fresh persepctive and comparison is always a good thing. Let's work out a time or something. Let me know.
          Yours in gaming,
          ~Luc

Comment

• Alright guys, I am planning on releasing an updated version this Friday (and if all goes well, each friday).

Unfortunately, this version will not be compatable with the saves from 2.01B. Sorry about this, but when you add new units/bldgs/etc... it invalidates the previous version's savegames.

We haven't updated the web-page yet, but we will be updating it soon.

If anyone has had problems with the geocities or angelfire links... Try this one:

2.01 Beta

2.01B (Tested)
            Last edited by Elucidus; March 19, 2002, 22:40.
            Yours in gaming,
            ~Luc

Comment

• Resources?

Originally posted by Elucidus
              Alright guys, I am planning on releasing an updated version this Friday (and if all goes well, each friday).

We haven't updated the web-page yet, but we will be updating it soon.

2.01 Beta

2.01B (Tested)
              Hey dude the updated mod looks really cool. However I tried to place some of the new resources without success. The Oak, Mahogany (sp), etc are the ones I am referring to. I think around 6 of them in all. Maybe for future use or what?
              Please update your thread at civfanatics. Thanks.
              Thanks ~ Desert Fox (Real Nickname)
              Fleet Admiral - NeoTech Games Network - Game News & Game Modding Community

Comment

• Oh yeah, I forgot about CivFanatics. I never get any replies there so I always forget to post. There are two I believe that are not in use, the wood and the copper. We are still trying to fit those in right. Sorry about that.
                Yours in gaming,
                ~Luc

Comment

• I added several new resources to the game before I found out that only two additional resources will show up in the game. That is when I decided to combine the pics for Aluminum and Uranium to get a third one into the game. The unused resources still show up in the Civiilopedia, however, since I was hoping that they woud add the ability to add more resouces in the future. I believe this is covered in the readme for the mod.

Comment

• too bad.. about resources

I was wondering what was going on. I like the idea of more resources to mix things up better. Maybe new editor will resolve many of these small issues.

Comment

• Ok everybody, the new webpage with the hosted files should be up and running now. If anyone has any problems with it please email me. If anyone has any suggestions by all means let me know!!
                      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

• I just tried out the Balancer Mod last night for the first time. A couple of questions.

1) In the Scientific Adviser screen, the lines to each advance criss-cross each other, run behind some advances to get to another, and just generally look ugly. Is this how it is supposed to look? Did I mess something up? It's the beta version of the mod, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

2) Is it my imagination or did the Hoplite go from 1.3.1 to 2.3.1? As it was, I can't stand the Hoplite. I usually always play the Romans, and I usually end up starting next to the greeks. War with them *******s is nearly impossible as the Hoplite requires no resources, and has a defense stat that I won't get until the next age. Now you gave them an additional point in offense? Giving me Legions with writing kind of helps, but I still don't get them until I hook up with Iron. That is IF there is some Iron to hook up with. I say tie the Hoplite to a resource.

Comment

• As far as the science advisor screen...is it like that in all ages or just certain ones? It should look very clean and nothing should go behind any tech icons. There is some criss-crossing, but not too much. Also the lines I used were black for required techs and gray for the ones you don't need.

I am not sure of what stats exactly changed from version to version and I am not at home right now, but I will verify this.

This is the kind of feedback we need to improve the mod. Thanks. Is there anything else you noticed up to this point?

I hope you are enjoying it.
                          Last edited by Elucidus; March 20, 2002, 15:18.
                          Yours in gaming,
                          ~Luc

Comment

• Tech tree & icons

I noticed that when I hover my mouse over the Esponage tech it says it is the Republic. No tech leads to the next age it looks real wierd. LWC had same troubles as well it is something broke with the editor.
                            I just noticed that my spearmen look like the army icon when being built, fortified or in boat.
                            I love the way you are using the colonist makes much more sense for expanisionist to have an edge now.
                            Last edited by Desert Dog; March 20, 2002, 18:43.

Comment

• I'll check it out again when I get home. Do the lines automatically draw themselves, or is it an image? If it is an image, it may be best to use lines that travel vertically and horizontally, but never diagonally. I'll try to get a screenshot and post it.

Oh, yes, I liked what I saw in the FAQ so I thought I would try it out. I haven't got too far in yet to be able to make any judgements. I like it so far... except for the super Hoplites!

Comment

• It is an image. I didn't think I used diagonal, at least not all that much.
                                Yours in gaming,
                                ~Luc

Comment

Working...
                                X