A good WWII scenario, finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good WWII scenario, finally!

The new feature of 16 civs on a gi-normus map allows us to make a BETTER WWII SCENARIO.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I found having to fight separate scenarios for each theater tiresome, and the burden of the cramped map for a whole WWII was frustrating, not to mention difficult to balance with only 7 civs. Now we have potential - glorious potential!

Let's try to come up with some ideas --

for the 16 civs:

Germany - Germany
    France - France
    Britain - Britain
    Soviet Union - Russia
    America - America
    Japan - Japan
    China - China
    Italy - Rome
    Turkey - Babylon
    India? - India?
    Poland - ?
    Spain - ?
    Scandinavian Countries - ?
    Asian Countries - ?
    Other Neutrals - ?

Who else should be included and who should play them? To balance a good scenario possibility like this will take a lot of input.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Well, this is going to be quite an interesting thread!

First, we are going to have to establish the starting point for the scenario. Will it be in 1939, before the war actually began, or 1941, at the height of the Nazis' power and the beginning of the war in the Pacific? These seem like the two most obvious times for me.

I would like to lobby for 1941, because then we can get rid of Poland and replace it with someone else. France would still be around as the Vichy gov't in Southern France and its overseas possessions.

Take out India. They were owned by the United Kingdom at the time, and that leaves another slot for a civ. Here are my suggestions for the 16 civs.

Germany - Germans
    Soviet Union - Russians
    United Kingdom - British
    France - French
    Italians - Rome
    Japanese - Japan
    Chinese - China
    United States - Americans
    Greece - Greeks
    Turkey - Babylonians (?)
    Yugoslavia (still neutral in '41) - Iroquois (?)
    Spain (also neutral in '41) - Aztecs (?)
    Australia & New Zealand - Zulus (?)
    Canada (?) - Persians (?)
    Latin America (Mexico, Central America, South America) - Indians (?)
    Sweden - Egyptians (?)

That should cover just about the entire world, no?
    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

I agree. You could start the scenario at the pearl harbor invasions to open it dramitically. I think that one of the civs should probaly be a generic neutrals to cover every onelse

BTW: Great post
      Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Or you could start it on Sept. 3, 1939 when the war actually started. If you wait until the end of 1941, then France is already taken, The Germans have made their initial, most successful attack on Russia, the Balkans have been pacified, the Battle of Britain is over and El Alamein is only a few months away. The Germans have made almost all the advances that they will ever make, and in Churchill's words, you've already reached "the end of the beginning".

If you want a dramatic start, then May 1940 does a good job, as the "phony war" has drawn to a close and the Blitz on France is about to begin.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          If you want a dramatic start, then May 1940 does a good job, as the "phony war" has drawn to a close and the Blitz on France is about to begin.
          That's what I would suggest too.
          Rome rules

Comment

The idea is good, but you haven't thought the subject in depth (IMO).

You can of course make a WWII-Civ III scenario of
            the whole war, but it's impossible to include all
            the more important nations (remember Limit 16).
            Turkey and Sweden (sorry, don't feel offended )
            are not one of those, so they can be excluded right now.
            India was one of them political and strategical factors in WWII in
            Asia-Oceania and they can work as an instrument for the
            brits in Asia-Oceania; so they should be included.
            Africa wouldn't be a problem, due to the colonies of the
            European nations. South America is abit more challenging,
            because it should be neutral; and making a realistic neutral nation
            isn't easy at all in this scenario (IMO).

The conclusion is that there's always those darn
            nations that should be included because they excisted,
            even if they didn't have a mayor role in WWII.

So the best thing to do, is to make two different
            WWII scenarios; WWII in Europe and WWII in the Pacific
            (compare to the Eastwind scenario in Civ II - CiC).

But if "we" should follow your idea about the WWII scenario,
            then Finland and Norway should/must be included. Why?!?
            Norway: operation Weserübung was one of the larger
            operations in WWII - Finland: one of those who fought against
            USSR (if necessary, I can tell more reasons for this) and
            was actually an allie of the German Reich.

Because I'm lazy today , I'm not going to say
            anything more for now. Perhaps I'll continue tomorrow...
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Well thought, KrazyHorse!
              You share my opinion.

By doing that, we wouldn't have to worry about Limit 16.
              Then the list countries should be this (if only WWII in Europe):

Not in any specific order!

1 German Reich
              2 United Kingdom
              3 France
              4 Italy
              5 Soviet Union
              6 Spain
              7 Finland
              8 Norway
              9 Sweden
              10 Yugoslavia
              11 Greece
              12 United States
              13 Turkey
              14 Bulgaria
              15 Romania
              16 Low Countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg) or Swizerland

Denmark isn't included, because it would be "worthless".
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Good thinking! At that time, the German player could decide whether or not to go to war with Russia.

I'm afraid Sweden, Yugoslavia and Turkey would have to be in the scenario, because they were neither allied with or taken over by the Nazis.

For whatever reason, Hitler never invaded Sweden, and to leave it out would leave a big hole in the map.

Turkey indeed played a major rôle in the war. Had Hitler decided to take it over (which would have been no problem), he could have marched into the Middle East and gotten the oil he needed, instead of attempting to get the Caspian oil supplies by going through Russia. This is a handy little conflict because we will have no trouble putting it in the scenario with the new resource model!

Yugoslavia, too, was eventually taken over by Hitler, but some speculate he could have taken it without bloodshed! He had allies on every side of the country and it would have been no problem surrounding it and not letting it have any supplies until it allied with Hitler.

Turkey and Yugoslavia both provide excellent possibilities to use strategies new to Civ 3 and to rewrite history.
                "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Yah i guess it does make more sense to start it at the blitzkreg

Comment

Make it late March and you can have the Norway invasions (the "sideshow of a sideshow" as Churchill put it).
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

For whatever reason, Hitler never invaded Sweden, and to leave it out would leave a big hole in the map.
                      They supplied Germany with Iron.
                      "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
                      "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Comment

I agree that it would be better to treat the Pacific and Europe theaters separately. They really were two separate wars happening at the same time.

WW2 Europe I'd start in April 1940 to include the attacks on Norway and Denmark, with:

1 Germany
                        2 Allies (British Empire and the US, but use events to prevent US units from getting to Europe till later)
                        3 France (incl. Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg)
                        4 Italy (incl. Axis minor allies of Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, etc)
                        5 Soviet Union
                        6 Spain
                        7 Finland
                        8 Norway and Denmark
                        9 Sweden
                        10 Yugoslavia
                        11 Greece
                        12 Turkey
                        13 Iraq
                        14 Portugal
                        15 Persia
                        16 Neutrals (Switzerland, Arabia, Afghanistan (if map goes that far east))

WW2 Pacific is much easier:

1. Japan
                        2. Allies (US, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, etc)
                        3. Dutch
                        4. Chinese
                        5. Communist Chinese
                        6. Soviet Union
                        7. Mongolia

Is anyone planning on making such scenarios? If so, I don't see how its possible until Civ3 has an events function.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars
                          I agree. You could start the scenario at the pearl harbor invasions to open it dramitically. I think that one of the civs should probaly be a generic neutrals to cover every onelse

As KH said, the war began in Europe years earlier, and most of the blitzkreig was over by this point. In fact, November 42 was the high point of Axis power. Start from the beginning.
                          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by orange
                            As KH said, the war began in Europe years earlier, and most of the blitzkreig was over by this point. In fact, November 42 was the high point of Axis power. Start from the beginning.
                            If you read my later post, i withdrew and changed my opinion to the beginning of the blitzkreig.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Bigspear
                              They supplied Germany with Iron.
                              Not to mention all the volunteer troops that were sent
                              to assist Finland against USSR.

Comment

Working...
                              X