the city on the hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the city on the hill

hills give a defensive bonus to units fortified on them... does this still apply to units garrisoned in cities built on hills? are there any other pros/cons to building on hills?
    What!? They use cowards' weapons!

Towns/cities/metros get the defence bonus of the underlying terrain.

Only cons of building on a hill is that you don't get to build a mine there.
    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

The other bonus of building on a hill is that the tile on which a city is built always gives at least two food, irrespective of type. So if the area you're settling is short on food-rich squares, build on the hill for a little bonus. The combination of this and the defence bonus means that I generally build on a hill for preference, where possible.

Comment

wow, thanks. that's odd that in civ3 the city square is the same (production-wise) regardless of underlying terrain, if remember correctly it wasn't so in civ, col or civ2.
        What!? They use cowards' weapons!

Comment

It's not strictly independent of the underlaying terrain, except for food.

I don't have the details in my head, but I believe it's the max of one and the base yield of the terrain (incl resource bonuses) for shields and trade, plus size bonuses for Ind and Com.

And of course there's the Agr food bonus.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

There is also the visibility bonus for being on a hill.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

No, there isn't. You get the same visibility even for cities in plains. The borders give this.
              The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Working...
              X