Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to be awhile replying to recent posts and belated thanks for the newest compliments.

Offa,

I tried CivIII when it came out, but was somewhat disappointed with it. Looks like interest in it is waning, too, due to many of its subsequent problems. I notice a Firaxis boycott getting started up on the Civ III forums, too, due to lack of support for the game.

Bart119,

It's always good to see someone new around. I'm not sure I understand some of your questions, but will answer as well as I can here.

1) I don't know where the CivII programmers went, but do know that its lead designer, Brian Reynolds, is now heading up his own new company Big Huge Games, which has so far produced Rise of Nations, one of the better RTS games around now.

2) A lot of the more detailed calculations, such as for determining commodity lists, are probably not worth the effort. I think the research here was done more out of curiosity about how they were determined. In my own EL games, I'll just figure out city wildcards in order to better match up supply and demand, since payoffs can differ dramatically when demands are met. (well over 100%).

3) Sorry, I can not help you here. I have never given much thought to strategies that minimize the number of keystrokes. In general, I believe that conquest games would need more since you would have so many more cities to manage, and that OCC games would certainly need the least per completed game.

4) Again, I believe OCC games go the quickest because you are only mangaing one city. You may want to check out Paul's guide and give this type of game a try.

Your own strategy sounds familiar, as that is the way I played the game myself before discovering other ways to play it after joining this CivII site. You are right that discussing other strategies further is better left for a separate thread, so that this one can remain dedicated to EL games and strategy.

This particular forum used to be much more active and busy in the days before CivIII, but there's almost always some sort of response to new threads when they are posted, so feel free to introduce a new topic.

Comment

• Thanks to ramses II, the original EL Guide has been reformatted nicely and is available for users to download. Since this thread is sticky, I have inserted a copy of his zip file here to make it easily available to anyone that would like their own copy:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by solo; September 14, 2004, 15:51.

Comment

• New Commodity Supply and Demand Calculator Available

Thanks to StuporMan, a newcomer and expert windows programmer, EL players have a new tool which they can use to quickly calculate commodity supply and demand lists for any city.

For complete details, please see this thread:

For those just wanting a copy of this program, simply download and unzip snd1_013.zip which has been attached below.

While Stuporman's program was being tested, it became apparent that one of Samson's formulas might need a minor adjustment. For the formula calculating the demand for Coal:

Instead of:

(Distance Equator+10) X (CitySize+2)/5

I think Samson really meant:

(Distance Equator+10) X ((CitySize+2)/5)

In many cases, we discovered that the extra set of parentheses are required to generate an accurate result.

(Edited to include the latest version, which includes a manual in pdf format)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by solo; June 23, 2005, 11:41.

Comment

• Thank you solo for your kind words,

For those of you that are interested in the Supply and Demand calculator here is a list of features:

1. You can enter the terrain, location, map size, civilization, etc information and the calculator will automatically calculate the supply and demand commodities for the city based on samson's formulas.
          2. Not only does it list the commodities it will supply, but it also shows you the top 3 commodities, the wildcard commodity, and the values for all commodities for ease in commodity manipulation.
          3. You can enter information of up to 255 cities into the calculator and reselect them using a drop down menu.
          4. You only have to enter information about a civlization one time, after that it is stored and will reappear when that civ is selected from the drop down menu.
          5. You can save and load the information you have entered into the calculator.
          6. Data entry has been streamlined so that you can use the tab key to quickly move from one item to another.
          7. Data can either be typed or entered via a up/down arrows for most items.
          8. Cities can be removed via the Remove City button.

On top of this list of features I have a new version currently in the works that will hopefully incorporate some new features like calculating delivery payments and getting information for the calculator directly from the .sav file.

Thanks,
          StuporMan
          Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

StuporMan's Supply and Demand Calculator
          Supply and Demand Calculator 2.0.1 Beta Now loading savegames!

Comment

• Hello Again,

I have just reached an important milestone in the Supply and Demand Calculator development and have decided to release a beta version for you guys to play with and give me feedback.

The major change to the calculator is that it can now load data directly from a Civ 2 saved game file. More information about this and the download can be found in the thread linked below.

Note, this is not a final version yet, so there still may be a few bugs floating around, but I am hoping some of you will be willing to help me track them down and get them fixed. This project has gotten a little too complex for me to debug it by myself at this point. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Supply and Demand Calculator v2 beta

Thanks,
            StuporMan
            Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

StuporMan's Supply and Demand Calculator
            Supply and Demand Calculator 2.0.1 Beta Now loading savegames!

Comment

• Originally posted by solo View Post
              Early Landing Strategy Guide Update

Since this guide was originally posted, we have played seven comparison games. Needless to say, several improvements to early landing strategy have been made during this process.

The original guide advocated an early Republic strategy, building the minimum number of cities that were needed and only acquiring essential techs. Emphasis was put upon developing the SSC quickly. This system produced the best results in the first three comparison games, and was best exemplified by my own game in EL #3, when a landing of 615 AD was achieved.

However, even in the earliest games other players were experimenting with a more robust early Monarchy approach, by increasing the number of cities and making use of the additional wonders such as Marco Polo’s Embassy, the Hanging Gardens, and Michaelangelo’s Chapel. The strongest advocate for using MPE was Elephant, and when players realized its superiority in games without hut explorations, it became the first wonder chosen by all players in their games.

SG(2) was the first advocate of the robust early Monarchy approach, and it was used effectively afterwards by Cliff, and with even more impressive results by Slow Thinker and Zenon. Zenon proved that on many maps, this system was superior to a lean early Republic and has been posting the best results in the last few comparison games. Because of these achievements, I have become an advocate myself of this system, using it to good effect in EL #7. Zenon bettered my landing date in that game too, by borrowing the best features of my own early Republic strategy and blending them with a robust Monarchy start.

For those wishing to follow the evolution of these strategies, here are the links to the comparison games played so far, with the first 5 being played in this Strategy Forum and with #6 and #7 being played in the Civ II General Forum:

Game #1

Game #2

Game #3

Game #4

Game #5

Game #6

Game #7

To keep this guide complete and up to date, I thought it might be useful to include the log of my EL #7 game, which is a good example of the robust early Monarchy approach. Below is attached a zip file containing several saves of this game, so readers can actually see how the game progressed.

I am hoping that my log of this game can be followed by Zenon’s log EL #7 game, as an illustration of the best blend found so far of the EL strategies presented in this guide.

Finally, all EL players regret the passing of one of our favorite participants, Scouse Gits(2), who enlivened these comparison games with his sportsmanship, insights, and wit. We also regret that Bloody Monk’s health does not allow him to participate as a player, but we still value his comments and insights as he has been a keen observer of the last few games. The term “robust Monarchy” was first coined by Monk, who perhaps better than any of us, is able to express why we all play this game with so much enthusiasm.
              The links to the Comparison Games are broken. Could a mod fix Solo's post?
              In the meanwhile, here are functioning links to the archived threads:

Game #1

Game #2

Game #3

Game #4

Game #5

Game #6

Game #7

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
              X