Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SlowThinker
    replied
    Of course I informed Philippe that I established this thread so it is likely Philippe /la fayette's family will read it. And I will ask him about the grave but I think it is better to do it after 1-2 weeks when his frame of mind will be more stabilized.

In case you had a closer relation with la fayette and you would like to contact Philippe directly: he sent me his announcement from La Fayette's e-mail. Probably he uses this e-mail address to contact some of La Fayette's friends. So if you want to contact him directly and especially if you need an answer you can simply try to write an e-mail to La Fayette.

Leave a comment:

• duke o' york
    replied
    Originally posted by Straybow
    Like his namesake, a gentleman and Anglo/Ameri-phile. A true joy in play.
    His English was, and remains, excellent, and the newer players seeking sound advice need look no further than his posts here.

Leave a comment:

• Straybow
    replied
    As my ally in a PBeM game he'd confided that he had cancer. I suspected his condition had worsened in recent months. Many prayers for his family in this time of grief.

@>—‘—,— R —,—’—<@
    @>—‘—,——,—’—<@
    @>—‘—,— P —,—’—<@

La Fayette
    Never one to waste his time in flame wars and endless OT trivia. Like his namesake, a gentleman and Anglo/Ameri-phile. A true joy in play.

The heart of this Civ2 community is struck again, a fell blow...

Leave a comment:

• our_man
    replied
    My condolences.

Leave a comment:

• Eivind IV
    replied
    Sad news indeed. My condolances go to his friends and family. May he rest in peace.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Condolences.

Leave a comment:

• Smash
    replied
    RIP my freind.

You will be missed.

Leave a comment:

• duke o' york
    replied
    Yes, Slow, please pass on our regards to his family. The next time I'm in Liverpool I plan to visit Ivor's grave (if Stu is willing to pass on the location), and I would also like to visit Michel's the next time I am in the area. If Phillipe is willing to pass the location to you, then I shall gladly send a PM so that I can visit his grave the next time I am in that area.

Leave a comment:

• Six Thousand Year Old Man
    replied
    I was fearing the worst, given his absence from these boards.

Michel, you will be missed. I learned a lot from your commentary and advice here, and always looked forward to your posts, filled as they were with insight and humour. Rest in peace.

ST, please pass on my condolences to Philippe and the rest of his family.

Leave a comment:

• RoboPig
    replied
    goodbye la fayette. the world shall miss you

Leave a comment:

• jim panse
    replied
    My condolences go to the family, may he rest in peace.

Leave a comment:

• duke o' york
    replied
    Bravo Elephant!
    Les francais sont parmis les meilleurs de gens, et, surtout, sont parmis les meilleurs joueurs de Civ II!

Leave a comment:

• Elephant
    replied
    I had corresponded privately with Michel in the summer when he told me of his cancer. I have been praying for him since, but his drop off of the forums in October did not look like a good sign. Several of us had tried to get in touch with him to let him know of our concern. Thank you, ST, for your persistence, and please pass on to Philippe all of our love for him and how much he meant to us all. I was hoping he would be alive to see his name in the Hall of Fame for his accomplishments, not his death.

"Adieu" to a great Civ player and a wonderful gentleman. This American is not ashamed to shed tears for the passing of a true French friend.

Leave a comment:

• tanelorn
    replied
    I was in that PBEM with La Fayette back in 2003.
    What a shock.
    My condolences to his family.
    I really don't know what to say.

Leave a comment:

• Grigor
    replied
    Oh tragic day.

His last post at Apolyton was actually an ominous one on October 6th 2005 in the thread: "New Ancient Empires PBEM created"
    in the Civ2-PBEM forum:

Win98, but yet...
    ... it crashes.
    Sparrowhawk, please, play my turn !

The work he did on elegant solutions to scenarios makes him (along with Xin Yu) one of the foremost CivII problemists.
    see: Arriba (Spain wins ww2 scenario)
    http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2712&perpage=30&pagenumber=5

and many other "Scenarios from the Community" threads in the CivII Strategy forum, mostly from 2002-2004.

He was indeed the poet of CivII and has been one of the main reasons I have so enjoyed browsing here for five years.

I miss him already.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X