• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old n Slow
    replied
    "Empty chairs and empty tables,

Where my friends will drink no more."

(words and thoughts from Le Miz)

La Fayette was a stalwart, dependable comrade -- always there with competance and support. Please add my condolences with my fellow gamers.

Old n Slow

Leave a comment:

• kengel
    replied
    About six years ago (Sept. 1999), we started a 7-player PBEM game. When the Babylonian player left the game, a new player with name "La Fayette" took over his place- it was in June 2003. I learned to know him as an always friendly, true gentleman, who lead the babylonians to new greatness.
    Today, after a longer vacation, I heard from his death- and I am shocked and very sad.
    My condolences to the family!
    May he rest in peace, I will never forget him!

Leave a comment:

• Bloody Monk
    replied
    Before this thread is put to bed it should be noted that La Fayette was the top vote getter in the Dec 05 Hall of Fame Election. Very fitting.

Here is a link to the HoF voting results and honoree blurbs:

Congratulations to our newest inductees!

LaFayette-
    Obituary Courtesy Apolyton's Civ2 Community
    La Fayette (Michel Baise) is known as an excellent Civ2 strategist and game play debater (author of the Three Arrows Strategy and the Twin Cities Strategy), a Civ2 mechanics researcher (a diplomat/spy expert), and as an enthusiastic scenario player. He perfected methods of spectacularly rapid victory in scenarios from impossibly weak starting positions. He was also a tireless participant in almost all single player contests and succession games from 1999 through 2005.

La Fayette died of cancer in January 2006 at the age of 66, but we still feel his presence -- kind, witty, encouraging and uplifting, always quick to respond to questions with the best of helpful advice. He was always thoughtful, insightful, unfailingly polite, and true to his commitments. No one on this site more embodies the concept of "Civilization" than La Fayette: he is a true gentleman.

Note from the Hall Administrator
    LaFayette, as noted above, was well respected by the Civilization community. He had already been popularly elected into the Hall when sad news of his demise reached the forums. As a sign of honor and respect, posting of the December elections results was delayed until a proper memorial could be contribuited. Now the time has passed when we can interact with LaFayette, however, the memory of him and his words on the forum can always be with us. In reading his articles for the Great Library and elsewhere around the site, let us remember this brilliant and friendly figure.
    (registered Oct 2000)

Monk

Leave a comment:

• Zedd
    replied
    In all things there are shooting stars who rise quickly thru luck or skill, and Veterans who thru knowledge and wisdom remain long after others have gone.

La Fayett was both for this forum, keeping things moving so that part timers like myself could continue to have a little fun.

He, like so many others here, was an integral part of our online society and it will not be the same without him.

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolus Rex
    As Grigor's link doesn't work (at least not for me),
    It works: don't click it but copy the text.

Leave a comment:

• curtsibling
    replied
    Just want to add my condolences.

La Fayette's memory will live on in Poly.

Leave a comment:

• Ted Striker
    replied

This is horrible.

Rest in Peace to a true gentleman.

Leave a comment:

• Carolus Rex
    replied
    La Fayette set so many magnificent records in various Civ 2 scenarios...

As Grigor's link doesn't work (at least not for me), let's see if this is better:

Trivial as it may be, but I will also remember him for speaking (and, at times, posting in) norwegian...

Carolus

Leave a comment:

• Elephant
    replied
    A couple of CivII Strategy threads that have been on my "Favorites" list forever, posted as a memorial to La Fayette:

Three Arrows:

Twin Cities:

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    This is so sad! First Ivor, now Michel...

I played with La Fayette often, though not recently. He guided me through the subtleties of myriad strategies in the heyday of Civ2 Succession Games, pointing out the implications of our "custom" rules far faster and more accurately than most. While my presence on these boards has been limited of late, La Fayette has received my HOF votes several times. His contributions to the community long predate my arrival here, and will long survive his passing.

Always thoughtful and insightful, unfailingly polite, and true to his commitments, no one on this site more embodied the concept of "Civilization" than La Fayette.

Rest in peace, mon ami, and condolences to Philippe and the rest of his family and friends.

Leave a comment:

• debeest
    replied
    I am so sad to learn of this. La Fayette was not only a superb Civ2 player and a gentlemanly and entertaining poster, he was kind enough to offer me his hospitality when I visited Paris. I'm sad that I couldn't get together with him then, and now will never be able to meet him. He has been at the heart of this forum for years, and I miss him already.

Leave a comment:

• Heresson
    replied

Condolences to La Fayete's family and friends.

Leave a comment:

• Traianvs
    replied
    goodbye forever man, me being on the civ2 forums was a long time ago but still; goodbye

Leave a comment:

• Arthedain
    replied
    My Condolences to all people close to him.

R.I.P La Fayette

Leave a comment:

• rmsharpe
    replied
    Though I didn't know him, my condolences to his family. Judging by everyone else's reaction, it appears I missed speaking to a very fine gentleman.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X