Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Egyptians.

You could have refused, snoop.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• SBC

Game is now back up again.

Comment

• Yes it is and turn played.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta
          Damn Egyptians.

You could have refused, snoop.

Refuse the pleas of the poor, maligned Egyptian civilization, whose citizens were being tortured and beaten in the streets? My people exist for the purpose of defending the poor, the meek, those whose voices are not heard across the world. I will- indeed, must - come to their aid.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• New turn is up.

Comment

• @ snoop.

Game not showing up on GS.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta

Game not showing up on GS.
                Well, it is there now...not sure what happend before.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Bump! Snoop to try again.

Comment

• Well snoop. That was interesting. Turn to you. But I have to say, I am getting truly discouraged with the RNG.

You know the other game I am talking about.

So - this conflict had 35 battles.

The first 12 were my cannons against your cav and one rifle. Odds were from 3 to 21%, with most being in the 10 to 14% range. I lost all 12, but managed 4 retreats.

Of the other 23 attacks - cavalry, rifle and grenadiers against your wounded units and unwounded cannons - it breaks down like this.

Two attacks were at 20-35%. I lost both.

Six attacks were at 54 to 59%. Won three lost three.

Eight were in the 70% range, 6 of them at 71.5% Won four and lost four.

Seven were at odds of 87% and higher. Won 5, lost one, and one retreat on your part.

The results are not outlandishly poor, but I should've gotten at least one victory in the first two groups, and 6 of 8 in the 70% range. Just once I would like to get the RNG rolling my way in a big battle. It was similar in the attack on provi's city in Lord of Emperors. I lost a ton of 80% and higher attacks in that one.

Maybe it is a case of lucky in love, unlucky in civ.

You also mentioned elsewhere that the odds as shown by the game are not a true reflcetion of the odds - that first strikes were not considered. Anywheer I can look into that.

Comment

• All that being said, in retrospect, it was a pretty dumb attack on my part.

Comment

• Nowhere that you can look in on it, that I'm aware of...

Won 5, lost one, and one retreat on your part.

That's impossible, you can't retreat from a defending position... you mean you retreated?

Anyhow, that's pretty much in line with expected results... it didn't go in your favor, but it didn't go outside a reasonable expectation.

I made up for your poor choice to attack by attacking the city... I think I lost ten units killing that rifleman

But at least my odds against your stack were pretty good, I didn't lose much in that attack. I had to take the city to have decent odds on your stack (by getting roads turned to my culture or neutral for my reinforcements to come).

I was hoping you'd attack me, either across the river or exposing your stack like that. You notice I brought a bunch of ancient units to absorb collateral damage...

I just wish WittlichAI (Sabriane) wasn't an AI...

Witt, btw, remind me to show you how to set an AI in the game without logging in ... as the admin you could have done so and left the name as sabriane to avoid confusing poor Beta

Comment

• You're right snoop. It was a retreat on my part.

Yes - I went for it hook, line and sinker. Given the defensive position I was in - and the promotions my rifles had, it was very silly of me. Especially when you see how that one rifle held out.

Good plan on your part - and yes - I did twig to the outdated units - but figured the 12 cannon attacks would decimate the stack to where it was easy pickings. Then I let excitement - and frustration get the better part of me.

I agree the results were not outside the expected range - but I gotta tell you - the pain continues.

Your attack- outside of your first 8 attacks (the first 6 at 0%, and then 4.8% and 3.6%) - the next 14 were all in your favour. Excluding the 7 which were at 98% and higher, that left 7 in the range from 57% to 95%. You won all seven of those.

On my counter attack this turn - I made 7 attacks. I won the 4 at 98% and higher. The other 3 were at 76%, 89%, and 94%. I lost the 89% and 94% battles. Sigh ....

Again, that is not outside of the range of possible outcomes, it just that it seems to be very consistent with me.

Maybe the firaxis programmers - like the old urban myth about the Ford factory workers all saving their worst parts from the bin to produce the lemon of the day car - sent out a couple of copies of the game with hidden logic to ensure your 'unluckiness'.

And please don't get me wrong - the odds as such did not dictate the outcome of this. So I may be whining about my luck with the RNG, but I don't thing really good luck could have made up for my strategic oversight.

And with that - I will stop my posts about the odds.
                          Last edited by Beta; February 6, 2008, 15:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                            Witt, btw, remind me to show you how to set an AI in the game without logging in ... as the admin you could have done so and left the name as sabriane to avoid confusing poor Beta
                            Definately. Yes, I would like to know how I can do that.
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• There's the button, "kick", on the PTBS control screen - it kicks the human player out and replaces it with an AI.

Comment

• Ah yes! I've seen it...but thought it was rather rude to use against fellow Apolytoners.

I will definately remember to use it next time...

Unless we can lead some unsuspecting poor soul into claiming Maki's former empire so that I can then kick him/her - then everything will be right!

Comment

Working...
                                X