X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta
    replied
    Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
    wow....dare I say this? What is pitboss? I guess I'll read the cIV manual and try to figure that out...I'm assuming its the multiplayer feature of cIV. Thanks.

Its a bit disappointing to see Poly fade away...
    Pitboss rules - but pbem still lives.

And Poly ain't going anywhere.

And great to see you Shogun!!!!

I will gladly join in a new pbem game with you. And I am sure we can twist a few other arms. Hercules? Wittlich? Rhothaerill? (ooops. He's still a weenie.)

But if you want to run a pitboss game, you will probably find considerable interest, and sufficient support to host the game. If you are going to host - the first question is whether you are Ok to have your PC on 24/7.

And last question. Wanna be a Templar, and kill rabbits?? (hint hint - the answer is yes.)

Leave a comment:

• GeoModder
    replied
    Pitboss is all the advantages of PBEM with a set timeframe (decided by the players) on when a new turn begins.
    Basically, its a server with a civ4 game on it where the game is open for everyone with the correct password (if enabled) and the correct password for each of the civs (also if enabled, but that's almost a must ). When the timer expires, a new turn begins whether all the participants have played their turn or not.
    The only downtime is when the server's computer is down for whatever reason, so its imperative to have a relyable one for a smooth game.

O yes, and usually it runs simultaneously, so if two players happen to be online at the same moment they can do their moves at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Shogun Gunner
    replied
    wow....dare I say this? What is pitboss? I guess I'll read the cIV manual and try to figure that out...I'm assuming its the multiplayer feature of cIV. Thanks.

Its a bit disappointing to see Poly fade away...

Leave a comment:

• Hercules
    replied
    Well yes it has slowed down. There are few new games starting up, though I have to say I am in a fast moving Pbem game: Middleton's Advance.

A lot of games go the Pitboss route.

But the point you make and reflected in new CIV game start ups is well made.

btw I am still relatively new to CIV so I am up for a new game.

Oh and it is also a Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• GeoModder
    replied
    People have, in general, switched to pitboss. (Pitboss takes care of at least 2 of your gripes btw)

That, and Civ4:Colonization is due.

Leave a comment:

• Shogun Gunner
    replied
    Wow. Has this site died? I remember much more activity, users, threads, etc. Only 5 reads of this posting in about 24 hours...

What's going on here? Has this much changed in Apolyton in just 18-24 months? What did I miss?

Leave a comment:

• Shogun Gunner
    started a topic Back and looking for a PBEM

Back and looking for a PBEM

Hey everyone...I'm back after almost a two year absence from Poly. I was in grad school getting my masters in technology management. So, being in school for 8 hours on Saturday with team meetings during the week and doing homework on Sundays really made any hobby impossible. This degree program was great because it didn't interfere with my job. Now I have my degree and some of my time back.

However, my increase in IT knowledge has come at a price of Civilization knowledge. I literally have not played a single game in very long time. I've regressed to beginner due to never playing a PBEM with cIV.

I'm looking to join and/or start up a PBEM. However, I remember some attributes of PBEMs that I found less than desirable.

1. Players who just "disappear" leaving everyone else hanging...
    2. Players who are constantly late playing their turns...
    3. Players who interpret rules and fair play with an extremely biased, self-serving point of view

So...looking for a FRIENDLY game with folks that share my outlook on PBEMs.
Working...
X