Clear All

• mzprox
    replied
    double post

Leave a comment:

• mzprox
    replied
    Originally posted by Calanthian View Post
    Another conclusion: health resources plenty (5 types already), we need happiness, Oh Gods of Civ!
    Yes, this is a serious problem.. we are full of food but no happyness. our cities are capped at pop 4 and they reach that point very fast and then they can't really build anything but workers and settlers (to stop growing) so effectively forcing us to rex. Expand and spam cottages.
    Rigth now I think we should build our city 1SE of wheat, since we first will farm that wheat we can delay pottery (cottages) and go for fishing first (that makes pottery cheaper and we need fishing anyway soon). The third city I think should be 1SE of fish unless we find luxury nearby. If we find horses after animal husbandry that too could modify this. We might find something nice east from us. Will scout out with second warrior.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    1 SE of the wheat looks good to me for our second city. 2 N of the wheat would be good for a 5th or 6th city too.
    Is the point of having them so close is so that you can make one improvement and switch it's usage back and forth between the two cities (basically sharing a tile)? I never really thought of doing that but I suppose it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Calanthian
    replied
    1 W or one SW of wheat has my preference out of strategic reasons; good defensive position, great production (wheat and deer), claims quite a lot of tiles as ours & no additional techs needed to enhance the position. (could be third city though).

But some additional scouting will give us all the info we need before we have to make the decision on where to plan our second city.

Leave a comment:

• Calanthian
    replied
    Another conclusion: health resources plenty (5 types already), we need happiness, Oh Gods of Civ!

Leave a comment:

• OzzyKP
    replied
    Originally posted by mzprox View Post
    turn 4-6

nothing exciting just a map update.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]172306[/ATTACH]

I played a bit before testing the "fishing before pottery" and settle near the fish first. result: very close to the first gameplay. the fishing path at t50 a bit ahed in science, has more spread cities, but the other (the old way) has more advanced cottages and has better science capacity. However looking at this new info settling 1 se of that wheat looks a good option even for second city. Going to try that.
    1 SE of the wheat looks good to me for our second city. 2 N of the wheat would be good for a 5th or 6th city too.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    That sounds good as it clears the immediate area but also keeps our one warrior near the city. Hopefully he doesn't get into trouble with the bear though as I'd hate to lose him.

Leave a comment:

• DNK
    replied
    Yeah that wheat spot looks very nice, though best to finish scouting it first.

How are we handling this scouting? South a bit, then back east and up around towards the cow?

Leave a comment:

• mzprox
    replied
    turn 4-6

nothing exciting just a map update.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	9093576

I played a bit before testing the "fishing before pottery" and settle near the fish first. result: very close to the first gameplay. the fishing path at t50 a bit ahed in science, has more spread cities, but the other (the old way) has more advanced cottages and has better science capacity. However looking at this new info settling 1 se of that wheat looks a good option even for second city. Going to try that.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    There are three options for a mine if we build 1SE of the fish but they would all require a cultural expansion before they could be used much less built. I'm still thinking pottery might be a better option but maybe one of our experts knows better.

BTW, yeah, we're in the far north and the opposition will be mostly south of us. Given the size of the map and the average distance between civs what would be the soonest one of their warriors could stumble on to us? I'd hate for that to happen before our new warrior gets built after the worker.

Leave a comment:

• Calanthian
    replied
    If going for fishery the second city should make it's own workboat.. and that will take a long time unless that city has a developed mine.

So I guess sticking to the plan for the first 30 turns would probably be in order, as the cottages give us faster tech. That said, if Mzprox's analysis leads to other results I have all the confidence to give him carte blanche.

PS. I think we are on the northern edge of the map: already three tundra tiles in sight (two in the west, one in the east).
    So it might be good to let the warrior take a slow turn to the south, as our opposition won't be placed in tundra areas.

Leave a comment:

• mzprox
    replied
    Yes, animal husbandry for sure, but after that?
    original plan was to go for pottery to get to use those flood plains soon. However when I have time I will play a bit and see what if we build our first city 1SE from the fish (on plains hill) and go for fishing before pottery.
    the good: our first and second city (after the capital) wouldn't as close to each other as originally was planned. Having fishing before pottery makes the pottery tech about 15% cheaper. Sea resources are great for financial leaders, good and fast way to increase commerce.

the bad: we would start growing our cottages later, we might not get all the flood plains before culture pop.

Leave a comment:

• Hercules
    replied
    We all agreed on Animal Husbandry next.

I have favoured researching fishing early. Maybe squeezed in before or after pottery. It would depend on which is more efficient especially in deciding our next city, and the threat.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Speaking of tech path. First one was hunting I see. That makes sense for the deer resource. What were you going to make the second and third tech and where do you propose fitting in fishing?

Leave a comment:

• mzprox
    replied
    turn 3

Found fish, might need to rethink second city's location and also the tech-path.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Civ4ScreenShot0047.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	9093564

Leave a comment:

Working...
X