Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes it is very hard to vote across the board for dipl related things.

As stated by a few people above i wont give my diplo vote to someone who uses fear of a large army and prodcution base to get their way.

So most months i have not put diplo votes in . Remember you dont have to vote in each category each month nor fill in all 3 slots each month.

Now what does impress me is when a small civ gets its way agaisnt a larger civ, or when a large civ freely gives things t oa smaller civ that is Diplomatic efforts .

Utilising any fear threat or implied threat is not diplomacy it is intimidation.

As with all others , most of the real diplo stuff occurs behind the scenes and al lwe can hope is the recievers of our PMs think they worthy of votes.

Some tihngs that go on behind the scenes

1. Requests from one civ to another to support a weaker civ.
    2. requests to protect a 3rd party
    3. Informing other civs of secret agreements that may affect the other civ.

That is diplomacy.

Comment

• I should get lots of point because I do all three.

Comment

• hoepfully the civs you converse with ar e voting for you.

I vote for people i have PMs with or even IMs or EMAILS.

not seen much DIPLO in the storys so far.

Comment

• Although use of military power is a form of diplomacy.
          "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• only an american would think that way capo.

War is not Diplomcay.

The threat of War is not Diplomacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Capo
              Although use of military power is a form of diplomacy.
              My point exactly. See you agree with me.

Comment

• Diplomacy Definition
                skill in managing negotiations, handling people, etc., so that there is little or no ill will

Diplomatic suggests a smoothness and skill in handling others, usually in such a way as to attain one's own ends and yet avoid any unpleasantness or opposition:

Comment

• Yes...... but......

What is the definition of DIPLO???????

I have been meaning to ask this for awhile Raz, what does the capitalized five letter word mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Maya
                    Yes...... but......

What is the definition of DIPLO???????

I have been meaning to ask this for awhile Raz, what does the capitalized five letter word mean?
                    You want my definition or the definition accepted by the DIPLO community.

They are different.

Aprpeently DIPLO is just short for DIPLOmacy according to most here.

It is not what i thought it was.

Comment

• Please, tell what it is.

Comment

• Well, as much as I love your comment that only an American would think that way it is entirely not correct. In fact America wasn't even around when this was first proposed or utilized in real life.

The Persians used their military power to convince other nations to pay them tribute, Alexander the Great did it, the Romans certainly did it.

Also Nicolo Machiavelli wrote about it in his books, there is a GERMAN term for it called Realpolitik that was thought up by a .... wait for it.... GERMAN.

Klemens von Metternich, the vaunted diplomat, used this as a basis for many of his negotiations.

How do you think Germany got so many "allies"?

And let me ask you a question? Why do you think there's a FRIGGIN UNION JACK on your flag?

I was going to say I studied political science in college, and military pressure/war was considered a part of diplomacy. This was at the University of Maryland, which is a pretty damn good school, not the greatest, but pretty damn good.

But that isn't important, what is so funny to me, and I can NEVER understand this is your insistence on how often nobody listens to your opinions, but the second anyone else gives theirs you just reject it off-hand. I will say this though; sure you are probably less likely to get diplomatic votes by throwing around your military weight in this game (as Greece can attest) but to say its not diplomacy is simply naive.
                        "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• Damn, I can already tell what Ras' responses to this stuff is going to be....

"well i guess im not wantedh ere anymore guys. DIPLO is changed now for me forever. goo dbye."

One Love.

Comment

• Steady on

I don't think it's so much the disagreeing with Raz but the jokes.

He doesn't need it right now and as online friends we can just chill I reckon.

Even I did and I said sorry more often in this game than any other game!

Sorry 'bout that...
                            "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• I donty mind differences of opiinion it is only the jokes that got too personal that i didnt value.

Diplomacy definition is posted above.

Both sides walk away feeling they won despite the fact one side got more than the other. No ILL feeling

What you describe is BULLYING and whilst it is used in real world, it doesnt make it DIPLOMACY.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Maya
                                Please, tell what it is.
                                I already told you what it is in the opinion of the majortiy , my thoguhts on what it is are not relevant so lets move on and fonish the game.

I jsut thought DIPLO was more than just playing with Diplomacy.

I have posted manytimes what i think DIPLO is about, the posting the stories, the interaction and social networking of people playing.

Not the name calling. And even i am now at the point of name calling. so dont challenge me on being a hipocrit. And nor attack me for my lazy typing i cnat be bothered re typing mistakes.

It is ok. i know the way i want to play the game wont occur, perhaps never did and i lived in a dream world thinking it did.

But it is still my utopia of how it should be done so anyone regardless of abilty can play and do well in a game of civ.

Comment

Working...
                                X