Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is CIV IV regarded as one of the best, or even the best, game in the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is CIV IV regarded as one of the best, or even the best, game in the series?

There is a lot of nostalgia for earlier versions of Civ, especially from those people who’ve played each version since they’ve been released. My personal favourite was Civ 2 - it was the one I found had the right level of complexity for me, while still being simple enough to keep a game plan in your head and execute it.

Now I much prefer Civ V to Civ IV because I never really liked the ‘stack O’Doom’ approach to combat, and also in Civ V they really got on to tailoring specific Civs to specific victory conditions. A lot of people don’t like that, as they feel it removes choice from playing a Civ how you want to. I can see that reasoning and while I’m sympathetic to that view point, I prefer knowing if I’m French I’m going to be a cultural Civ, or if I was the Iroquois then I’d be a production powerhouse. It works better for me personally.

That said the AI in Civ IV was probably the best I’ve encountered. Like it or not, the AI in Civ V Never got to grips with 1UpT and had no idea how to operate a navy. It was too easy to cheese a larger, more powerful Civ into wasting its units and then taking them out

So a lot of it comes down to the people playing it I think. I would also say that while I prefer Civ V for my personal preferences, I suspect Civ IV probably is the better game, and the best so far in the series. I’ve only played Civ VI for about 30 hours. I liked it a lot but for whatever reason it hasn’t quite clicked with me.

It's a towering achievement, even for a series as revered as this one FaceTime.

Comment

Working...
    X