Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vile Barbarians, Destroyers and Usurpers of All That is Good and Fair in This World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yaga,

What do you do for money to pay for this plan while still expanding? No tech you describe as seeking will assist you with money. At Prince or higher, if you keep expanding, you will run out of money before you reach Currency. Also 2 early wonders are almost impossible on Prince or above, dicey on Noble.

Is it possible you don't have probs with barbs because you play on a level below noble?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I often hear people complain about barbs ruining their day... oddly enough I never have a problem with them. This might be because of my tendency to play on crowded maps (I usually go 18 civs on large).

You have to remember, barbs are RETARDED. They will generally attack any enemy unit within range irregardless of tatical disadvantages. Move units into hill/forest next to the barb and let it attack... and die.

Or just make The Great Wall a priority. Actually, on hard levels you can use this to your advantage. Choose raging barbs and get the wall. Now the computer has to deal with problamatic barbs while you are safe.

Also 2 early wonders are almost impossible on Prince or above, dicey on Noble.
      No way. Just chop and slave them. One of my fav openings on harder levels (emperor and up) is to found a religion, then get henge (and oracle if possiable), get early GP for the religious building (not for the money so much as the passive religion spread). The whole purpose behind this is to get most civs to pick your religion so that you have friends (the importance of which is greater on hard levels IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
        Yaga,

What do you do for money to pay for this plan while still expanding? No tech you describe as seeking will assist you with money. At Prince or higher, if you keep expanding, you will run out of money before you reach Currency. Also 2 early wonders are almost impossible on Prince or above, dicey on Noble.

Is it possible you don't have probs with barbs because you play on a level below noble?
        Financing can be rough. Scouts are the first source, as they can pick up a good 40-80 gold from tribal villages, which can put you through a good number of turns.

Second is founding that religion. Depending on when you get Stonehenge built, you've a roughly 75% chance of getting a Great Prophet. Once you've figured out how best to play the religion game you can regularly get positive revenue even at 100% through Feudalism.

As for Wonders -- you gotta get a good start and then chop rush. I regularly get Stonehenge and Great Wall, and usually Oracle.

Oh, and the process above is fairly easy on Prince (including the Wonders), and has a decent return on Monarch. Only won one Monarch game with it so far -- and only got Stonehenge and Oracle on that one.
        For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

I tend to use hut money to get an early account balance of 100gp and keep it at that level before I start to think about running at a deficit economy to fund faster research. Having 100gp early lets you pay for the oddball good event. Later on, I increase that minimum balance level to first 500gp and then 1000gp.

Wodan

Comment

Working...
          X