How do I get it to load faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    I think Targonis was referring to integrated nVidia graphics specifically. Those exist and they do have acceptable performance. Relatively acceptable, of course - if possible, always get a real video card.

And yeah, Sloww's a sucker. He got a really good deal there.
    Integrated nVidia graphics give decent performance?? Even on Civ4 I'd think they'd fail to be acceptable, unless they're cooled really well...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

i doubled my ram to 2 gb ddr2 533mhz; and removed an ATI x1600pro 256mb , replaced it with an nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS 256 mb. my loading times went from 42 seconds (reported on the opening sequence by the game) to 7 seconds.

also, no more video hardware errors causing reboots. they were making the game unplayable. goodbye ATI, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Comment

goodbye ATI

Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Integrated nVidia graphics give decent performance?? Even on Civ4 I'd think they'd fail to be acceptable, unless they're cooled really well...
          Shockingly , yes they do - I could play up to standard maps with only moderate lag with my onboard nVidia before I upgraded.

nVidia FTW!
          But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
          PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Definitely decent. Well, for an integrated card. They're no good for any of the really graphically intensive games, but work just fine for Civ4 and other games where GPU speed is not the primary requirements concern.

Comment

Performance is relative to what you yourself have. People with a Geforce FX 5200 for example would see the integrated NVIDIA graphics as a big upgrade, even if it sucks compared to a $100 video card.

The point is that since Civ 4 is NOT an action game, video capability is more important than speed. Intel video has a number of PROBLEMS, not just with the speed, but with the ability of the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by jackal@ns
                i doubled my ram to 2 gb ddr2 533mhz; and removed an ATI x1600pro 256mb , replaced it with an nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS 256 mb. my loading times went from 42 seconds (reported on the opening sequence by the game) to 7 seconds.

also, no more video hardware errors causing reboots. they were making the game unplayable. goodbye ATI, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
                It sounds like you were having some other issues with that ATI card if you were getting video hardware errors. My Radeon HD 2900XT doesn't have any problems loading or playing the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

Definitely decent. Well, for an integrated card. They're no good for any of the really graphically intensive games, but work just fine for Civ4 and other games where GPU speed is not the primary requirements concern.
                  Sigh. Hate my browser. Anyway, on top of that, most nVidia boards that come with integrated video still include a PCI-E slot or two.

Me.

Comment

This thread makes me think of this video...
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeous

Sigh. Hate my browser. Anyway, on top of that, most nVidia boards that come with integrated video still include a PCI-E slot or two.

Me.
                      You'd be hard pressed to buy a board without a PCI-E slot these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X