Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mercantilism.

Comment

State property, with a large empire(as I usually have) and the added usefulness of workshops, I really like it, I dunno if it is my favorite though...
      "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
      Check out my Blog!

Comment

Slavery is obviously my favorite but it's also so powerful and essential as to simply be the default option for that column.

My actual favorite civic would be State Property since it's probably the singlemost powerful civic and is good for getting over slavery once emancipation rolls round (SP workshops let any city be productive).

Mind you all civics do have their uses and can be nigh-essential under certain circumstances (with the exception of Serfdom which verges on completely useless on normal speed).

Comment

Single civic? Would be slavery of course.. it is the most powerful one. I like to have my peoples back running from blood because i whipped them. Hey, i know that without their sacrifices i wont be going to Alpha Centauri!

Comment

Heridetary Rule, it's useful in the begining of the game, and is useful throughout almost the whole game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              perhaps I'm not whipping enough. But it seems to me, when you reduce your population you reduce your produciton (along with commerce) because you have one less worker.
              It depends what those workers are doing and what you are whipping. Some population working unimproved land could usefully be whipped into building that actually improves the city's commerce.

Check out Blakes thread that I linked, some of the results might surprise you.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

What, no votes for Universal Suffrage?

Slavery is critical, of course, for the early to mid-game. I find Universal Suffrage critical for buying things later on. When you capture that city, you need to get a theatre, granary, and a temple or two rush-bought right away to start building up that culture. It never hurts to work one turn on a defender and buy it, either, so your attacking army can continue on.

Comment

Raze it!
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: What is your single favorite civic?

Originally posted by Brundlefly
                    I'm a builder, so I love the Organized Religion civic. There is always something to build in this game ... unless I go to war and need Theocracy for the duration of the war. I have contemplated pacifism to generate more Greats and Free Religion to give myself a morale boost with the other civs (I hate the -4 'you are a heathen' penalty) but none seem as valuable as O.R.
                    As a builder, I agree, although I am finding lately that if I don't overbuild early, I accumulate enough power that I'm not nearly as likely to get attacked. So, I don't just use Theocracy in wars. If I am Religious and can switch with impunity, I have micro-theocracies whenever I make an important unit advance.

Comment

I don't know which is my favorite. Either State Property or Bureaucracy.

State Property certainly is more powerful however it comes a bit late. Bureaucracy on the other hand combined with the right start can mean a 130 beakers/turn city at 1000BC.

I find slavery only useful if you have some high food and low production cities, which I normally don't have early in the game. I only found cities if I have a site with good gold/production and food combination, need chopper or have had a very bad start.

In the "Labor Civics" I tend to tribalism as you don't have to go through anarchy to get it.

Comment

Favorite? Bureacracy.

Most powerful/useful? Slavery, prolly.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I really like State Property because I tend to have a really large empire by that point (if not, then I'm going to die soon so it really doesn't matter). for early game, if I got the Pyramids, the representation. It gives a huge science boost.

Ok, time for blake to come down on me, I actually do not utilize slaverya very often. Perhaps i should. i guess I feel bad about whipping them. I suppose there is another area to change strategies?

sparky

Comment

This is also something I must use now. Believe it or not, I don't think I use it much, only in situations were I need a unit right now.
                            "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
                            Check out my Blog!

Comment

My favourite is bureaucracy.

Comment

Pacifism...

...NOT!
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X