Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McSeamus
    replied
    This game is worthless bug-filled garbage. I have returned it to the store and I will never buy another Firaxis product.

Leave a comment:

• PJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Donegeal
    Does it work out of the box? Yes.
    Does it have some issues? Yes.
    Can these issues be overcome? Yes.

Good game.
    Wot he said...

Leave a comment:

• Akaoz
    replied
    CTD's late game on my x800 PCI-Express. My older 9800 on year old drivers run it just fine...

Leave a comment:

• wysiwygbill
    replied
    The best I can do without it crashing every time I pan across the map is 1280x1024 with "Medium" graphics settings and no AA. If I set it to high or 1600x1200 it'll crash on a large map.

I have an ATI x850xt PE and suspect it would crash at lesser settings if I only had an ATI 9800xt.

It still crashes if another program (like AVG) pops up and starts a virus scan or update.

I'll probably wait for the patch before playing anymore. Hopefull that'll fix it. The tech I talked to on the phone said he hadn't heard of the crashing issue amazingly enough. That doesn't fill me with confidence about the patch.

Leave a comment:

• Donegeal
    replied
    Does it work out of the box? Yes.
    Does it have some issues? Yes.
    Can these issues be overcome? Yes.

Good game.

Leave a comment:

• WiggleStick
    replied
    Worked
    First game huge map 18 civ's I noticed the game was getting laggy as it progressed. Its now setting at 1400AD where I recieved 2 world maps. I now can only scroll with the mouse a small distance before 30-45 second stalls and occasional CTD's if I continue to push it.
    After furiously reading the boards I started a game with a STD map and 5 civs. Small lag, probably because I'm looking for it. no CTD's.
    I'm looking for the patch because I didn't buy this to kick around only 5 civs at a time.

AMD 3200
    1g ram
    XP-SP2
    Fx5700 nVidia
    SB Audigy
    All UTD

Leave a comment:

• Garwoofoo
    replied
    Minor audio glitches, nothing major. Maybe could be a little quicker but generally runs well.

Oh, and it's the best game I've played all year.

Leave a comment:

• kayalar
    replied
    Too slow...

Leave a comment:

• Adrian Hon
    replied
    After updating my sound and video drivers, I still get regular crashes that reboot the computer. I suspect it *may* have something to do with my CPU overheating (Athlon XP 1800+), which is at least plausible, but not something I have seen with any other game I've played.

Other than the crashes, it works perfectly, apart from the occasional audio stutter. Hopefully the patch will solve things...

Leave a comment:

• spy14
    replied
    "the ATI Catalyst driver stopped working correctly. You will need to re-boot your system"

My 5.10 driver download has just finished - wish me luck!!

Leave a comment:

• brunner
    replied
    ZERO issues for me. It doesn't run very well, but I expected that (athlon 1ghz/256mb ram)

Leave a comment:

• CJB
    replied
    That would be a definite no from me.

Won't even start: installed from the DVD but when I try to crank it up it just freezes on the loading screen then throws up an "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" error and disables the DVD drive.

Marvellous

Leave a comment:

• nbarclay
    replied
    Radeon 7500's don't seem to be working reliably yet. I and apparently several others have run into problems where instead of seeing the terrain, all we get is black. (Oddly, resources do show up; it's just the underlying terrain that doesn't.) My own card is a 64MB All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500. My system otherwise easily exceeds the minimum specs - a late-model albeit low-end CPU and over a gig of memory. I was already running practically brand-new drivers when I installed, and updating the drivers another point release didn't improve the situation.

I have no idea how widespread the problem is, but as I said, I'm not the only Radeon 7500 user to have run up against it. What's really annoying is that the Civ 4 web site explicitly names the Radeon 7500 as the minimum video card needed, so I had every reason to expect my card to work.

Leave a comment:

• Rhuffin
    replied
    The game would not start after installation: I ran into the ATI card problem. The unpak trick fixed everything (2,5 hour of effort installing/unistalling/updating my already updated drivers/unpaking....).

I will try this weekend on my laptop.

Leave a comment:

• BigJMoney
    replied
    Originally posted by evizaer
    Hopefully the patch will clear up the issues i'm having.
    Don't cross your fingers. Firaxis is known for amazing support, but you do have a laptop. I, too, play on a laptop, and I was saved only by the little work-around Firaxis came up with using the unpacker. This is because HP has decided they don't care to research updated Video drivers to support their Pavilion zd8000. I have an ATI x600 mobility, and most other laptop retailers who use that card are compatible with ATI's drivers for it, but not mine! Thanks HP! I just hope future patches don't require a driver update or I'm screwed for MP.

=$= Big J Money =$=

Leave a comment:

Working...
X