Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics

I think It would be very interesting if every 15 turns or so, olympics were held.
    It would be held in a major city of any civilization (maybe certain requirements would have to met...) and that city would get +1 gold per square worked for 5 turns, or some thing equivlent.
    It could say how many medals of each type were won by each civilization participating. The more powerful nations would receive more medals, and maybe get some benefit?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

How about including both the Ancient and the Modern olympics? Maybe the Ancient would be a wonder, and the civ that builds it gets some advantage that has something to do with the Modern. I guess You can have the original olympics and then have the games regularly from then on.

Comment

Good idea, but what if everyones at war with each when the 15 turns roll around? I wouldn't put off attacking someone for a resource just to have the olympics occur

Comment

Ah! good point!
        How about only nations at peace with everyone can HOST the olympics? that way, there is a bonus for being at peace. Let's face it, if you aren't war, you are most likely a weaker nation (I've been there). The added currency and culture will most likely give said nation a boost.
        Just as the olympics were halted during world war II, the olympics couldn't take place during massive wars with all players involved.
        Let's face it, there are wars going on today, but we didn't stop the olympics because of Somolia and what not.
        I think this will model how the real world works also.
        If you draft all your citizens to war, chances are you aren't going to do very well at the next olympics
        I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Comment

Ooh, Olympics sounds cool. How about it be the equivalent of a small wonder, where each civ can build it, once it is built, they participate in them. Olympics gives a small culture boost to the overall winner, and the winner is declared every 5 turns... some medicinal and military techs increase the chance of a win, and some year the olympics change from Ancient to Modern, possibly determined by a tech or another wonder.

Comment

How about the original Olympics is a Great wonder, and the other civs build Small wonders to be able to compete.

I'm sure none of us wants to actually play out the sports...

Comment

What about paralympics as a small wonder that gives you free ramps at all libraries increasing science by 5%!
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

And it could up the chance to get the Steven Hawkings scientific leader by 50%.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Why should Firaxis bother to include something so useless(gamewise) as the Olympics?
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

One might think the Pyramids could be useless too.

Comment

No, not really. The Pyramids were a wonder of the world.

Comment

Obviously there should be some connection between the Olympics and Colosseums. Either Colloseums boost your performance at the Olympics or the Olympics gives you a Coloseum in every city.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent
                          Obviously there should be some connection between the Olympics and Colosseums. Either Colloseums boost your performance at the Olympics or the Olympics gives you a Coloseum in every city.
                          I think someone needs too read his history once more...
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                          X