X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireWalkWithMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Junuxx
    Of course your questions aren't annoying! Questions are helpful! They help me to find where pieces of information/documentation are missing. And I think that you can't just dump a program online and leave it as is... A good developer provides documentation and support, and is available for feedback.

Anyway, the answers to your questions can be found in my Recommended Settings Guide. It's part of the extended manual on http://atlas.junuxx.net

I think I should try to standardize all values to a 0-100 range some day..
    DOH! I should have noticed the link in the programs window for atlas...thanks for the link. So far i've been decently succesful at figuring it out and generating maps. Still having problems generating large continents not connected to each other by land. Usually i'm getting pangea type maps. One solid land mass or two. IAny suggestions for the world settings? Also it seems sources of fresh water appear less than they do using the Civ4 random map generator. Is that still in the works? Er, regardless its still quite useful and a great work in progress. Thanks muchly for putting in the time to create it.

Edit:Oh, also, is Random Seed for Civ4 or your mod? Can't find my bloody Civ4 manual. What does it mean if you could spare the time to inform?

Leave a comment:

• padillah
    replied
    Originally posted by Junuxx
    That's a big part of what's holding up the next release of WorldPainter. I was trying to find a scale that fit with most if not all the settings and it's proven more difficult than I want it to be.

Quite a bit fit's into that well at first but the farther you push it the messier it gets. Now I'm stuck doing it out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

That and getting resources onto the correct tiles is proving a pain. Well, the way I'm doing it it's proving to be a pain.

Tom P.

Leave a comment:

• Junuxx
    replied
    Of course your questions aren't annoying! Questions are helpful! They help me to find where pieces of information/documentation are missing. And I think that you can't just dump a program online and leave it as is... A good developer provides documentation and support, and is available for feedback.

Anyway, the answers to your questions can be found in my Recommended Settings Guide. It's part of the extended manual on http://atlas.junuxx.net

Leave a comment:

• FireWalkWithMe
    replied
    I'd like a refrence point. Does anyone know how many tiles horizontal and vertical are in large maps using unmodded Civ4?

Edit: Answered my own question by yr nifty tool of automatically setting it. Appologies.

As well for terrain what do the numbers mean? for icecap, is that how many tiles are part of the ice cap? another example, forests...what does say 3 mean? 3 forests per forest grouped together? So in other words 3 tiles of forest surrounded by non forest? i'm a bit confused here. Especially since upon loading atlas intially tundra is at 25 while the rest is so low.

As well, resource abundance what does that number mean? Also does the the land/goodie hut ratio means 1 hut per the number of land tiles speccified?

I hope my questions aren't annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Junuxx
    replied
    Update! Version 0.42!

Leave a comment:

• Junuxx
    replied
    @LDiCesare:

Of course, the same results could be reached with a python script, but it would be troublesome to include all the options. Both the amount of controls and the number of options for many of the controls (like any integer between 1 and 400 for size) would be difficult to implement.
    You can also avoid seeing the map in Atlas (you can turn of 'show preview' if you want to), however, I think a lot of people actually like to see what kind of map they'll get. The time needed to start Civ, the memory it uses and its style and layout were also limiting me. I therefore decided to make it stand alone

Currently, mountain generation is something like this: If a tile is a hill and it's adjacent to at least x hills, there's a chance of y% that it changes in a mountain. I need to work on it a bit, though. I really like your tectonics script

Leave a comment:

• LDiCesare
    replied
    I've checked this utility and understand what it's for, but I wonder a bit. It seems to me that most settings could be done in-game with a .py map script, which would avoid seeing the map if one doesn't want and be easier to read than the bitmap?
    I do not get exactly how your map generation works. In particular, mountain generation?

Leave a comment:

• Junuxx
    replied
    Version 0.41 is out, it has an important bug-fix!
    0.40 crashes occasionnally.

Get in on the civFanatics thread,
    Welcome to the Atlas Project! Current Version: 0.43 (1 Feb '06) You might want to check out the Atlas Project's Homepage for some extra screenshots, a complete changelog and documentation. Atlas is a Java program written by me that is intended as a Map Generator for Civ 4. It will...

Leave a comment:

• padillah
    replied
    Sounds like a good idea, pass in a filename and out comes a "BeginMap/EndMap".

I've gotta work more on catching up to you than anything else. I've also gotta distinguish WorldPainter from Atlas so we're not just doing the same thing.

Tom P.

Leave a comment:

• Junuxx
    replied
    I was sure someone would prefer blobs over more irregular shapes. That's why it's still an option
    But if you want more 'continental' continents, you can still crank up the continent size. I like to have peninsulas and bays and the like. I think that they look nicer, are more fun to explore, and give better strategy playing.

About the external land generation: I think you could make an application that saves a plain text file with the 'map'. If we do it that way, both Atlas and Worldpainter could call on the land generation program, and then access the text file to continue.

Leave a comment:

• padillah
    replied
    Arrrghh! I'm trying to get a couple things off my plate so I can do some dev but it just keeps piling up.

I've got Deserts and Jungle and Forest now. So I all I need is resources and rivers and I'll be done with the standard stuff.

On an Atlas note: I kinda liked the blobs, gave it more of a continent feel. Most land masses are blobs of dirt pushed up, or spewed up, form the ocean floor. I'm working on (in the back of my head) a different way altogether of generating the land masses. I have no idea how it's gonna work but it'll be different.

I may try and find a way to externalize the land generation like you said. I don't know how to do that for multiple languages but I can do it for .NET and publish a few different builders to choose from.

Tom P.

Leave a comment:

• Junuxx
    replied
    Must-see changes in the new version! Rivers, and greatly improved continent shapes.

Leave a comment:

• Junuxx
    replied
    @Zuul:
    Thanks!

@FireWalkWithMe:

That's already included. Look at the Misc tab, there you'll find a toggle that says 'Show preview'.

Leave a comment:

• FireWalkWithMe
    replied
    now all you need is a way to make it so u can generate maps u can not see at the start!(ie-when u make them)

Leave a comment:

• Zuul
    replied
    Good :-). I was thinking yesterday that it was long time ago I saw any life signs from you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X