Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrascapes

Dear Workers:

I know you miss home. I'm sure that you have fond memories of that planet you left 190 years ago. But that doesn't mean you need to cover the whole damn planet with terrascapes every time I turn my back. Doing so will only crash the economy and force me to lock you up in cities where you can't do your job. Try keeping your nostalgic feelings to yourselves; you may find that trimming a small bonsai can perk up your day just as much as planting acres of forest if you only try!

Sincerely,

Your immortal supreme commander
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Terrascapes are pretty good if you have the late game perk that gives them 3 food/3 hammers. But they take 17 ****ing turns to build.

Comment

Aren't they mainly for Purity players?
      I don't know what I've been told!
      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
      Love to press the Buster Switch!
      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Dunno, but basically their presence on the tech tree means that I can't try to get the floatstone terrain improvement early unless I feel like manually controlling my workers. Doing so means I haven't gotten the high level virtues needed to keep my economy going once they start pulling six energy a pop out of it. But I may not even need floatstone, I was just getting it because it sounded good during my first game.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Never tried automated Workers ... there's no way to tell them not to build Terrascapes? That is pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            Terrascapes are pretty good if you have the late game perk that gives them 3 food/3 hammers. But they take 17 ****ing turns to build.
            29 turns if you´re playing Epic.
            And they cost 6 energy per tile in upkeep. Even with a good amount of energy due to trade routes, it can become a major "financial" burden if you have to care for lots of Terrascapes
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

That explains why I was scraping for cash late game, I terrascaped the **** out of everything.

Comment

People still automate their workers? I haven't automated a wworker since SMAX.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

All the trade route micromanagement was getting to me.

I'm starting to appreciate some of the design decisions they made, though. They've taken serious shots at ICS here, much more than in Civ V, and that helps cut down the end game management overhead. The end game also seems better because there's more tech divergence between cultures. Overall it seems like they traded some short-term player rewards ("my empire is huge" and "I'm four techs ahead") for a more interesting game experience.

Now I just wish it had SMAC's personality. Or a personality period.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                    Never tried automated Workers
                    same

I don't see the point to them. Why not just have an AI play the game for you?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                      All the trade route micromanagement was getting to me.
                      Yes. In the late game, every goddamn turn I'm dealing with this... re-establishing trade routes

There should be a setting on the trade route screen that allows to you tell a trade route to expire or not when you set it up.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        Yes. In the late game, every goddamn turn I'm dealing with this... re-establishing trade routes

There should be a setting on the trade route screen that allows to you tell a trade route to expire or not when you set it up.
                        Or at least a button with "reestablish previous trade route"
                        so that you don´t have to search a long list of trade targets for the one that you previously targeted.

I have to say, however, that micromanaging your trade routes (instead of always taking the same one over and over again) seems to be useful (whenthe nnumbr of trade routes and target cities isn´t so large yet, that it gets annoying):

In my current game I observed that the yield of a (land) trade target could vary by a large degree over time ... at one time it would be 7/6 (EN/Sci) then, at the next reestablishing of the trade route it would be just 3/2.

(that said ... maybe it would be useful to have the option to sort the trading targets according to thir Energy and Science yield)
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I'm not sure how to mod the UI, but I think I could add in a lua script that will do that. It already stores the variable for re-establish trade route.

Before that though I'm looking at writing a perl script that will copy all of the quest info to our wiki.

Plus you're basically playing the female Captain John Smith from the Virginia Company of London but in space.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                            Before that though I'm looking at writing a perl script that will copy all of the quest info to our wiki.

Comment

What I'd really like on trade routes is a screen like:

Button to renew last trade route
                              Buttons for the routes that gives you the most of each resource, regardless of where it goes
                              List of all route options

Comment

Working...
                              X