Republicans really do hate gay people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    HA! I love this. Hateful Christian bigots demand purity pledges and their staff tells them to stuff it and quits in droves. I ask you why should these bigots get special tax free status? They should be free to hate gays all they want but they should also have to pay their damn taxes like everyone else.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...8YU_story.html
    How do you know it wasn't the public drinking clause that went too far?

Comment

• Hmmm recorded history shows many examples of Polygamy. So should Polygamy be part of the traditional definition of marriage?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• This video may be old but it's still so true wrt how screwed up the Bible is about marriage. Remember this next time some idiot talks about a "Bible based marriage".

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
          The beauty of definitions is you don't have to 'figure out' what is 'meant' by words. The definitions are right there for you.

The obvious problem with your approach is that it permits essentially modifying the Constitution without going through the Constitution's own specified process for modifying the Constitution. It also leaves the law of the land completely in flux, including all case law, which could be overturned the moment society slightly disagrees with an ages-old interpretation of a word.

That makes contracts and laws almost impossible to reliably enforce.
          Words evolve slowly, so not it really doesn't. There tends to be a broad consensus on what a word means because people usually seek to adopt the definition of a word that is currently in common usage and will deviate from common usage by only a small amount. It is very unlikely that the meaning of a contract will change significantly in a couple decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
            Hmmm recorded history shows many examples of Polygamy. So should Polygamy be part of the traditional definition of marriage?
            There are some examples of alternative definitions of marriage in some cultures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              Does that mean they can practice marriage by capture like happened in the Bible? What about forcing rape victims to marry their rapists, like in the Bible? Also their alcohol ban isn't in the Bible so what should we do about that?
              HA HA YOU POINTED OUT IDIOSYNCRASIES IN THE BELIEFS OF EXTREMISTS AND THAT IS FUNNY!!
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Words evolve slowly, so not it really doesn't. There tends to be a broad consensus on what a word means because people usually seek to adopt the definition of a word that is currently in common usage. It is very unlikely that the meaning of a contract will change significantly in a couple decades.
                There tends to be a broad consensus on what a word means? Really? You haven't been in many contract disputes have you. Also, have you read this thread?

If we don't rely on the original definition, we get litigation, headaches, and unreliable laws and contracts.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                  Or the idea of being forced to sign some BS ideological purity pledge? That's what would get me, regardless of whether or not I agreed with the behaviors involved.
                  1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Honestly it likely was. Those good old Southern Bapist might hate gays but you just know they like their liquor.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Or the idea of being forced to sign some BS ideological purity pledge? That's what would get me, regardless of whether or not I agreed with the behaviors involved.
                      Is this really any different than taking a drug test of having a security background check? If you don't like the requirements for the job don't take the job. I do find the drinking in public quite silly. They should have just worded it "making an ass out of yourself in public due to intoxication" which would have sounded much more sensible.
                      But yes, another group of Ben-like douche bags. And imposing it after the fact doubles the douche level.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Is this really any different than taking a drug test of having a security background check?
                        Yes, because both of those could possibly affect your ability to do the job (or make you a risk for robbing your employer, or something). The idea of a pledge assumes your employer has a right to dictate how you act outside the workplace even if it has nothing to do with your job--which is ridiculous. And bordering on illegal, though they don't explicitly mention hiring only Christians.
                        1011 1100

Comment

• HA! I love this. Hateful Christian bigots demand purity pledges and their staff tells them to stuff it and quits in droves. I ask you why should these bigots get special tax free status? They should be free to hate gays all they want but they should also have to pay their damn taxes like everyone else.
                          Ain't free enterprise grand? They should have every right to demand that their employees abide by the teachings that they are required to teach.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Yes, because both of those could possibly affect your ability to do the job (or make you a risk for robbing your employer, or something). The idea of a pledge assumes your employer has a right to dictate how you act outside the workplace even if it has nothing to do with your job--which is ridiculous. And bordering on illegal, though they don't explicitly mention hiring only Christians.
                            Part of my contract explicitly states that I can be fired outright for conduct in opposition to what the Church teaches. The Church doesn't make a distinction between my personal and professional life.

Freedom of association permits them to do this, and frankly this makes sense. If McDonalds can require that employees present a certain appearance at the till, then it's reasonable to expect that those who are teaching would abide by what the Church teaches. More jobs for the rest of us, btw.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• But yes, another group of Ben-like douche bags. And imposing it after the fact doubles the douche level.
                              Yes, having a job is about making you, the employee, feel good about yourself.

Comment

• Those good old Southern Bapist might hate gays but you just know they like their liquor.
                                No, you're thinking of the Catholics. The Baptists are generally teetotallers.

Comment

Working...
                                X