No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll have to do an Arsene Wenger to you as I didn't see the game. If Youngs committed foul play then he should pay the price for it - I have no problem at all with that.

Cockerill may have impulse control issues but as I have said previously he is not a stupid man. He saw failings in his side:

"We played some good stuff and some horrendous stuff, we soaked up the early pressure, scored two tries and I thought that we might go on for a comfortable win. But it wasn't to be. We made mistakes and we controlled the game poorly. They are dangerous if you are inaccurate in defence and they proved that. Maybe we did enough to win. We were certainly lucky with the bonus point. We didn't play particularly well but it was a good result. We need to be smarter. We have been disciplined all season but, today, the lack of that nearly cost us."

Would you say that is a reasonable take on the performance Finbar?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• That's a pretty good summary. I haven't seen Irish for a long time but they managed to threaten more than a few times and Leicester's defence could be accused of bouts of softness (or laziness). They weren't coping with the Irish speed and just never put their foot on the Irish throat. Plus G. Murphy's decision to run the ball up the touch line from his own half with Leicester leading and very little left on the clock was hair-raising. The pill ended up with Agulla, he got turned over, possession to Irish. Irish were throwing caution to the wind because they had to, the pill dribbled free, straight to Croft, who cantered away for the bonus point try. Unfair to Irish, but then, over the course of the game, they were guilty of the same softness as Leicester. Overall, tries were too easily come by.

There was, though, one thing you rarely see - a conversion kick charged down. The Irish scrummy showed amazing speed to thwart Flood's conversion attempt.

And Manu, not content with putting a finger in the air to celebrate before he gets over the try line, blew a kiss to the crowd before dotting down. Prat.

I don't know the extent of the Youngs injury - he hobbled off supported by trainers - but it might cancel out whatever the citing officer says, if he says anything.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The BBC match report I read said Flood's casualness led to the charge down -they certainly are rare events in Pro rugby.

Blew a kiss to the crowd? taunting opposition supporters? I have no time for that. But then you have observed yourself, and any audio interview with Manu confirms it, that whilst he is a talented player the sharpest knife in the box he most certainly is not.

As for Youngs nothing can be gleaned from the official messageboards - he is either in line for a medal for scragging the evil Irish number 8 or facing a lifetime ban. It is similarly either a sore shin or a career threatening knee injury. I cannot separate the wheat from the chaff. Only the official PR releases in due course will tell us what need to know on both counts.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I think the kiss was blown to the Leicester supporters. One of his Exocet tackles - on Bowden, his teammate next year - looked very ugly - no arms - in real time. The replay showed the arms were on their way into the tackle. Bowden was smashed, bouncing backwards off Manu, so the arms were never going to reach him. But he needs to be very very very careful. That he's borderline dolt is no excuse.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Bets placed, fingers crossed

Comment

• kOc, betting on the French is the short road to the poor house.

Comment

• I have seen it now (I record the ITV summary show on a sunday night).

I wasn't using the dolt factor to excuse exocet tackling, simply to explain (not excuse) the silly gestures. His tackling worries me as much as it does yourself. The gesture is not so much blowing a kiss, he seems to stick his tongue out and pat it with his finger. Very strange and possibly very Samoan?

But my word both defences were absolutely awful, the proverbial bus could have driven through some of the gaps!

Interesting yellow card in the Glaws-Exeter game for big Jim Hamilton. After a ruck the Exeter scrummie Thomas got in big Jim's face and the big lock (stupidly) palmed him in the face. Thomas went down as if shot by a sniper rifle and the Exeter players mobbed the referee inisting it was a punch and demanding a red card. I've been palmed and punched in the mush all too often in life (and not just the rugby of my youth) as there is a distinct difference to the damage those actions can cause. But more than that I hate seeing this type of soccer histrionics and referee mobbing in Rugby and it has moved Exeter firmly onto my s*** list for the moment. I'm not convinced they deserved the win against Glaws but it was the same old story in that the Glaws defence looks paper thin at times.

Comment

• England hooker Dylan Hartley receives an eight-week ban for biting the finger of Ireland's Stephen Ferris in the Six Nations.

Hartley banned for 8 weeks. Had he been caught during the game it could have possibly cost England the game (possibly not given how Ireland were playing). He is also a total ****, do we want total ****s representing England?

It has to be said that Ireland had a pretty rotten deal this 6 Nations. The Bradley Davis and Ferris incidents which cost them the match against Wales and the French farce coupled with O'Connell getting injured. Had they also had Hartley see red, it wouldn't have been a bad Six Nations campaign.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                    kOc, betting on the French is the short road to the poor house.
                    Talking about the French - what to make of this clip from rugbydump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fgw...layer_embedded

It is also worth taking a look at this try by Cipriani (wtf have we bought ourselves?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_dKB...layer_embedded

Comment

• I absolutely agree - had Ireland not lost so many matches they would have had a much better six nations.

Personally I never really wanted Hartley representing us, rebadged Kiwi that he is, but he had until recently sorted his red mist problems. Lancaster picked Mears on the bench though. Mears - light weight and IMO fairly ineffective. There are a bunch of youngsters at age level and hovering near the Saxons but stand out candidates to replace Dylan are few and far between?

Great clips btw. No try of course - and Cipriani feigned a hammy to taunt the chasing player? WTF? What have you bought indeed!

Comment

• I read an interview last season with Hartley claiming to have matured and reformed. He's always been - and will always be - a cheap-shot merchant. That aside, he hasn't developed as a player. With his international experience I'd've expected more by this stage of his career.

Cipriani did his hammy in the run to the line. He came off shortly afterwards. Out injured this week. He'd played extremely well, largely responsible for the Rebels' lead at that stage. They missed him badly and ended up falling over the line.

Comment

• Oh it was a beautiful try...and Cipriani was involved in turning the ball over, distributing it, supporting and then scoring. But did it need a Dougie?

Comment

• Does anything, in fact, need a Dougie?

Not a fan of extravert try celebrations myself. When I were a lad it were not the done thing, like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                              Does anything, in fact, need a Dougie?

Not a fan of extravert try celebrations myself. When I were a lad it were not the done thing, like.
                              As an ex-flanker with very limited dexterity, I am simply envious.

Comment

• Jeez, a broken-down ex-prop who can only scrummage his way to the bar these days and an ex-flanker with very limited dexterity. What company I keep. Thank goodness for LdiC's try-scoring feats as a fleet-footed prop-come-hooker-come-half back. Even if he has occasionally to miss out on the pub to catch the train home.

Comment

Working...
                                X