No announcement yet.

Suppression of voters' rights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember seeing an article recently about how Virginia has a new law that requires voter IDs and the Democrats are saying it's all southern states trying to get black people not to vote again, but then I noticed that even a goddamn utility bill counts as ID. Do the Democrats actually believe that this will disenfranchise anyone?

It's almost as if they think fake votes are more likely to be for Democrats. I don't want to go down the conspiracy theory road, though, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Obviously a voter ID law won't make it impossible for someone to vote, the point is that if you make it more difficult then some would-be voters at the margin will instead not vote.

Comment

The ID laws trouble me, because it is a form of a poll tax. You have to pay to get some form of ID and with these anti-voters laws, you would need an ID to vote.

But the article is not discussing just ID laws. One of other things discussed, is severely restricting early voter registration, shortening the hours open for voters to go and vote to make it more difficult for workers, and among other things.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Maybe ID laws would be more reasonable, if the government can produce and provide for some free form of ID for voters. And, we will have to make sure that homeless people can get access to such ID in order for them to vote.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            Obviously a voter ID law won't make it impossible for someone to vote, the point is that if you make it more difficult then some would-be voters at the margin will instead not vote.
            So they don't give a damn about politics, right?

See this is what the Democrats do come election day in Philly... they get a bunch of vans and go door to door, asking people to come out and vote (for you know who... they give a pamphlet with the people to select). They also get homeless people to do so, as well.

I get it for the elderly and handicapped who may not be able to get to the polling station, but let's get real about what's really going on.
            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; April 7, 2012, 18:52.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
              The ID laws trouble me, because it is a form of a poll tax. You have to pay to get some form of ID and with these anti-voters laws, you would need an ID to vote.

But the article is not discussing just ID laws. One of other things discussed, is severely restricting early voter registration, shortening the hours open for voters to go and vote to make it more difficult for workers, and among other things.
              WRONG. PA's voter ID is FREE! This law made it free!
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                So they don't give a damn about politics, right?

See this is what the Democrats due come election day in Philly... they get a bunch of vans and go door to door, asking people to come out and vote (for you know who... they give a pamphlet with the people to select). They also get homeless people to do so, as well.

I get it for the elderly and handicapped who may not be able to get to the polling station, but let's get real about what's really going on.
                Both sides do this.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, no voter will be turned away at the polls. If someone shows up without identification, they will be allowed to cast a provisional ballot. That voter would then have six days to present an acceptable form of identification.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is also required to offer a voter ID card for free to anyone, provided they have acceptable certification, such as a birth certificate.
                  So you can still vote as long as you bring an ID within 6 days and the voter ID's are free...

Democrats disgust me.

Comment

Great, now they have to come back. What a hassle, man.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                      Both sides do this.

Where? Not in Philly. New York? Baltimore? DC? Chicago? LA? Houston?

It's a common Democratic machine tactic along with the dead voting. I'll believe the GOP does it when I see it.

Comment

I'm inclined to believe Alby on this one since he's actually seen it.

Comment

The fact that Alby has never seen a vagina or stepped outside of Philadelphia tends to make me discount his wealth of life experiences
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

We also have New Black Panthers monitoring our polling stations in Philly.

Comment

Telling people who to vote for is a time honored tradition of both parties. That's why they're parties in the first place, so people don't actually have to know anything about the candidates other than if they're D or R.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                We also have New Black Panthers monitoring our polling stations in Philly.
                                Isn't that illegal?

Comment

Working...
                                X