This Game Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Valkrionn View Post
    First off, let me say this is probably my first post in Apolyton. Tend to post on CivFanatics.
    Welcome to Apolyton.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26 View Post
      LOL! O.K., trolling it is. Enjoy yourself. LOL.
      Hey, from one old guy to a younger old guy hello. I have not been in Pusan since Jan 1964. I wonder what it look like today.
      Joseph
      Last edited by Joseph; September 23, 2010, 00:03.

Comment

Well, I see two old posters who are credited as beta testers, Nikolai and Yin. Now that the game is out, please do tell whether you actually enjoy playing its final version?
        This was the first Civ ever I thought sucked big time. Graphics are a step back, granted, diplomacy is a joke (even more than in the previous incarnation). 1UP is good. But the game is BORING. Nothing happens for ages. No one attacks me, we are just pushing a couple of units around, waiting for something to be built. And nothing ever is. I have no idea what is going on. The level is Prince, right out of the box, and I was not even trying to get a grasp on what was going on...
        Epic fail, IMHO.
        By the way, a special raspberry award goes to the 'streamlined interface'. So much for the jabs at Soren and Civ4. He did a MUCH better job even in vanilla version. This is worse than Civ3. The worst Civ in the series so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
          ...This is basically Civ4 with some stuff taken out, which is terrible since I thought Civ4 was a game made for 5 year olds. Basically all the maintenance system has been boiled down to happiness. Somehow, they even managed to make it more repressive than the maintenance system in Civ4. I just love how my size 1 cities are angry on king level with 3 cities total. Yes, 3 cities total and my cities are unhappy the minute I build it. Even Civ4 had less of a repressive system than this...
          So, your old strategies do not work in the new game? Wow, who could have thought.
          And yeah, if the game is made for 5 year olds, how come you have so much difficulties with it that you have a tantrum?
          The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
          certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
          -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Multiplayer inevitably ruins everything. Not because of the game or the game mechanics, but by attracting the screaming kids from those Halo servers.

Profanity is fun! I suggest more stringent moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel View Post
              Well, I see two old posters who are credited as beta testers, Nikolai and Yin. Now that the game is out, please do tell whether you actually enjoy playing its final version?
              This was the first Civ ever I thought sucked big time. Graphics are a step back, granted, diplomacy is a joke (even more than in the previous incarnation). 1UP is good. But the game is BORING. Nothing happens for ages. No one attacks me, we are just pushing a couple of units around, waiting for something to be built. And nothing ever is. I have no idea what is going on. The level is Prince, right out of the box, and I was not even trying to get a grasp on what was going on...
              Epic fail, IMHO.
              By the way, a special raspberry award goes to the 'streamlined interface'. So much for the jabs at Soren and Civ4. He did a MUCH better job even in vanilla version. This is worse than Civ3. The worst Civ in the series so far.
              I find the game very fun to play. In fact, yesterday I really should have gone to bed much earlier, but I just kept telling myself "just one more turn"...
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel View Post
                Epic fail, IMHO.
                The best thing I could say is that I have been playing the game in various states of development for a long, LONG time, and when I came home last night, the only game I wanted to play was Civ5. That's pretty amazing.

That said, you have identified a few things that I think I could help with as the game continues to mature. First, I would definitely go up in difficulty level. Try Emperor. The next thing I would do is add some more AIs in the mix. Many people have noted that once another civ touches your borders, get ready for war. While this isn't a guarantee (you can, of course, work on diplomacy), it's pretty sure to happen regularly. And on the topic of diplomacy, please keep posting your ideas for improvements. I can tell you that all of us want the best diplomacy possible, and this will mature for sure.

As for the interface, give it a while. Mostly I enjoy things like the notifications. The interface will also develop more!
                Last edited by yin26; September 22, 2010, 07:17.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I indeed started on the lower levels myself, and right now find myself pretty bored. The AI's only have 3 or 4 cities while I have 12-14, I'm far ahead in everything and can finish them with a flick of the wrist.
                  But I just want to bring the game to the modern era's, so I just continue first
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Think of it as just learning the game. But, yes, for now you might also try a bit of my advice for game setup if you want more action.
                    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Honestly, how can someone have fun playing against an AI? Ok, maybe it was cool when I was like 12 years old, but after that? It will never cease to amuse me to see how grown men enjoy wasting their time playing against something that can't fight back. Also, I love how the idiots on here always say someone can't adapt to a game if they don't like it, completely throwing away the fact that I find the game to be easy.

I'll say it again, the game sucks. It has taken most the options out of the game and forced everyone onto a linear path on the same level. When a game forces equalization on players it's because it's trying to make up for fundamental flaws in the game, and those flaws have been there since Civ1. They became more pronounced over the years as they took more and more out of the game in their efforts to simplify it. When you take features and possibilities out of the game then you are left with only the core game, and if that core game has fundamental flaws in it then you see what we have here. I guess some people just aren't born that intelligent.

Comment

How many games did you win at the highest difficulty level in CIV IV? Please feel free to post any saves.
                        I will admit that V is easier to beat at the top level.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
                          Honestly, how can someone have fun playing against an AI? Ok, maybe it was cool when I was like 12 years old, but after that? It will never cease to amuse me to see how grown men enjoy wasting their time playing against something that can't fight back. Also, I love how the idiots on here always say someone can't adapt to a game if they don't like it, completely throwing away the fact that I find the game to be easy.

I'll say it again, the game sucks. It has taken most the options out of the game and forced everyone onto a linear path on the same level. When a game forces equalization on players it's because it's trying to make up for fundamental flaws in the game, and those flaws have been there since Civ1. They became more pronounced over the years as they took more and more out of the game in their efforts to simplify it. When you take features and possibilities out of the game then you are left with only the core game, and if that core game has fundamental flaws in it then you see what we have here. I guess some people just aren't born that intelligent.
                          This is not and should not be construed as a Trollish question.

What games *do* you like to play DriXnak? Your consternation with the Civ series is severe enough that you posted here AND on WPC AND CFC, so the problems, as you see them, with Civ, really get under your skin. Or you just like to be vocal. I can't read your mind.

Surely, though, there are games you *like* to play (multiplayer, undoubtedly, given what you like and don't like), rather than just kvetch about??? What are they?
                          Last edited by Jvstin; September 22, 2010, 10:49.

Comment

Here, at WPC and at CFC actually.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I actually liked Civ2 MP. Notice how Civ2 put into the game and didn't care about simplification. The Civ franchise started to go down when Sid Meier took more of an active role and felt the need to simplify everything so even a 2 year old can play it. I started playing the civ franchise when I was 10 years old with Civ1. Civ is probably the first real computer game I ever played. The only other computer game I have played is Age of Empires, specifically the second incarnation. That series as well suffered from the same problems when they put out Age of Empires 3. There is a trend in PC gaming to simplify everything and to make things easier. Age of Empires 3 went so far as to give you free units. All you did was click a card and poof free super powered units to play with.

What we are seeing with Civ5 is really what you are seeing in most PC games these days and that is a total lack of originality and competence. So each incarnation of a game is just a cut and paste of the old game with things taken out. Through marketing they then play it off as simplifying the game, a brand new feature! Even though you have less to do in these games now and you are forced into a slower pace of game, they try to make it seem like they have made so many changes and improved the game so much. The reality is Civ5 is just Civ4 with things taken out. As it is right now it's not even playable in MP because the pacing is so ridiculously slow, not to mention all the other little things it lacks like the ability to play mods in MP and pings and drawing. Face it, the PC gaming industry has been in decline for a long time and for good reason. Ensemble studios that made Age of empires doesn't even exist anymore. Firaxis pretty much puts these games out now on name alone. I called it years ago that these games would eventually ship without MP and would just be right to the bargain bin as they keep making money on the name.

btw I haven't posted on CFC. I don't have an account on there.

Comment

I had the same problem in civ 4: It was too easy on lower levels. So this will obviously be the same in civ 5.

When I do buy civ 5, I will probably start on a level slightly above the middle.

And the suggestion by jnh140 regarding DriXnaK is a good one. It makes no sense "discussing" this game with an overbiased person who continues to insult people and keeps trolling...
                                Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
                                Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
                                New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X