Old People Going Back To School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old People Going Back To School

Apparently I wasn't the oldest guy in class (34) It was kind of weird actually. Lots of young girls, couple young guys, and couple of us more mature types. I can say so far my study habits are far better than they were the first time around. My lack of sleep is do to work and kids this time around and not staying up all night with booze and girls. One thing that struck me as interesting that I found my US Lit teacher as hot as the young nubile girls. She was just a little older than me and the glasses actually made her hot.

Any more of you old guys going back to school?
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

What are you studying?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

When I was in college there was this weird Serbian woman with A.D.D. who was like 50.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        What are you studying?
        Finishing my poly sci degree. Actually would like to go into teaching.

I lacked only a couple semesters when I basically quit and went full time military. So ****ing stupid but at the time the death of someone I cared about took a lot out of me and I just wanted to leave. The real challenge is getting back in the mentality of being in school.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I was just a little older than you are now when I decided to go to law school. I was the second oldest in the class. I found that being older really helped. It gave me a real-world perspective, which kids right out of college lacked.

Plus, I was there because I wanted to be, not because it was something I had to do. That added much to my motivation. As an undergrad, I stumbled though with mediocre grades. In law school, which is much harded, I made the dean's list every year.

BTW: Girls do like older guys...especially if they think the older guy is really smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber View Post

I lacked only a couple semesters when I basically quit and went full time military. So ****ing stupid but at the time the death of someone I cared about took a lot out of me and I just wanted to leave. The real challenge is getting back in the mentality of being in school.
            Good luck.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My mom was in her early thirties when she went back to school. The first year or so was at a community college, so not only was she surrounded by teenagers but she was surrounded by teenagers at a community college. Things got better when she transferred to a four-year college - the commute was much longer but she was surrounded by upperclassmen.
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

There's a massive glut of people with social science degrees. If you want to teach, go math or science. That's what I'm going to pursue when I go back to school.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                  There's a massive glut of people with social science degrees. If you want to teach, go math or science. That's what I'm going to pursue when I go back to school.
                  Yeah, I've gotten this advice recently and I understand the reasoning. The math and science route is something that I'm considering but I'm starting out by finishing what I started.

One of the major incentives I think this time around is that the money is coming out my pocket. When I was in school initially I had scholarships and pretty much had my way paid but it does take on a different tone when I am footing the bill.

Comment

The major obstacle seems to be me getting back into the groove of being able to write anything in a manner acceptable to teachers. I was helping my ex a little with her paper a few months ago and found myself struggling a bit to be of any help.

Comment

Apparently I wasn't the oldest guy in class (34) It was kind of weird actually. Lots of young girls, couple young guys, and couple of us more mature types. I can say so far my study habits are far better than they were the first time around. My lack of sleep is do to work and kids this time around and not staying up all night with booze and girls. One thing that struck me as interesting that I found my US Lit teacher as hot as the young nubile girls. She was just a little older than me and the glasses actually made her hot.

Any more of you old guys going back to school?
                      I was 34 when it ended. The average age at this night school was 35.
                      Pretty cool. Amber University, that used to be Abilene Christian University.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm currently studying Geography/Teacher after having finished my History PhD because I need a "Plan B" once my project at the History Dept. is, well, history. It's pretty difficult to get one project granted right after the other, and even less frequent are tenures...
                        So I decided to become a teacher as a "bread job" since most teachers in Austria are old and there's a wave of retirement starting these years.

It's amazing how efficient I am. I finished almost half of the required classes within one semester, 41 class-hours (i.e., no paper writing or studying included).
                        Beside that, I had to look after my kids (wifey is working full-time), held a speech at a congress, prepared two more congress papers, worked for the history department and maintained my organic garden...
                        I could basically do this because a few nice professors suspended forced-attendance requirement for me, so I could just do the tests.
                        If everything works smoothely organization-wise, I could finish the study within the next academic year.

Damn, I am 100 times more efficient than during my first study. Only, I still find the female co-students hotter than the teachers. Only i tend to find those around 21-25 hotter than the 17-20 years old. They're just too naive.
                        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I am 28, almost 29 and almost finishing school. I wouldn't want to be starting again in just 5 years.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Correct. That's just not enough of a break....unless there were a really well paying, fun job waiting for you at the end of it.

Comment

Librarians are a sexy resource which needs to be more fully exploited.

Last edited by Dinner; August 23, 2009, 05:23.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X