Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, that's pretty ridiculous.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Ridiculous. Cubbies should be 50 or (more logically) 100:1. It's not like Theo can swing the bat for them.
      Apparently the Vegas snowbirds will plunk down on any number the books put up there.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
        I see no reason to think he won't be a Frank Thomas or Jim Thome in his mid-30's.
        Aside from 50 or so pounds .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I think you're overestimating the weight difference.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
            Ridiculous. Cubbies should be 50 or (more logically) 100:1. It's not like Theo can swing the bat for them.
            Apparently the Vegas snowbirds will plunk down on any number the books put up there.
            Very true. I'll admit that whenever I was out there I'd put down 10-20 on it just so I'd have a ticket as a remembrance in case they actually did win. (but most of the time I did it they were in the 12 or 15 to 1 range. A lot of people doing that will bring their odds down quite a bit.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
              I think you're overestimating the weight difference.
              Only slightly . And, of course, there have been rumors of Thomas and steroids for a while. Not to mention that after he hit 30, he was no where NEAR the player he was in his 20s. Of course the player he was in his 20s was one of the greatest hitters of all time (Thomas's lowest OPS+ during his 20s outclasses Fielder's highest OPS+ by about 20 points).
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• And, of course, there have been rumors of Thomas and steroids for a while.
                Please document; I've always heard exactly the opposite. And I don't recall these "rumors" you're referring to. In fact, in the first few pages of Google results, the only suggestion of Thomas being a steroid user was a piece in...The Onion!

Frank Thomas' body basically didn't change from the time he entered the league onward, except he got heavier (and even slower). Not the profile of a user. Big Hurt was also really PO'd at all the obvious users, and was a strongly vocal proponent of PED testing. Just because a guy playing baseball has the body of a tight end does not mean he's a steroid user. His "decline" is traceable to the torn triceps he suffered in 2001, nothing more.

1990 (rookie; age 22) -- 6ft 5in, 240 lb.
                2002 (age 34) -- 6-5, 275

WikiAnswers:
                Absolutely not, Frank Thomas did not take steroids. He always denounced steroids and called for testing. As a football player at Auburn he was tested regularly during the late 1980s. During those years he had the same body size, head shape, and look that he has today. He chose to speak with George Mitchell about steroid use in MLB, one of two players to do so. He created an anti-steroid culture on the Chicago White Sox that heavily influenced young stars like Paul Konerko. His numbers are great but how amazing would they look if his suberb career had been achieved on a level and fair playing field?

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Frank_...#ixzz1kgt1jpWG
                Baseball Reference:
                He was not suspected of taking steroids at a time when so many major leaguers did. Already a muscular star long before steroids became common, he was one of the few players (along with Ken Griffey, Jr. and Curt Schilling) who spoke out against the practice and urged that players be tested. Throughout his career, Thomas has been constantly compared to Jeff Bagwell, a player born on the same day, but while Bagwell has been frequently accused of steroid usage (although there is no proof), Thomas is considered to be a long-time fanatic weight-lifter whose edge was minimized by the steroid usage of others.
                I would put money on Frank Thomas being a natural man throughout his career.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I guess I was probably thinking of someone else (probably Bagwell).

Comment

• Gary Carter, the Hall of Fame catcher who helped the New York Mets win the 1986 World Series, died Thursday at age 57. He was diagnosed with four brain tumors last May.

Rest in Peace, Gary. Thanks for all the great years you gave the Mets.

Comment

• R.I.P.

Everything I ever saw indicated that he was more than just a good catcher. A good man.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Damn. RIP to one of the greats.

Comment

• we're getting old

Comment

• Oh, so pretty big news:

Ryan Braun wins his appeal of the positive drug test.

Comment

• I heard his statement to the press a few hours ago. Apparently after giving his sample, the person who drew the test waited 40 hours before delivering it to FedEx for shipment to the lab in Montreal. I'm a few credits short of my medical degree, but having a urine sample sit on the floor of my honda civic for 2 days before being shipped off to the lab for testing seems like a major no-no.

Comment

• The first report was that he put it in a refrigerator before delivering it to FedEx. Why is story changing now? It was stupid of the guy who was in charge of getting it to FedEX to assume that FedEx was not open and baseball has to address that issue. Braun won this on a technicality and did not prove that he did not use something. The "conspiracy" thing though seems crazy. If there was one would they really do it so it was three times what anyone else had tested? I don't know if he did anything or not but the test seems to prove he was doing something. Unfortunately it can't be re-done and now they have stuff that can be used to help but gets out of system quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X