No announcement yet.

Questions about the USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Puerto Rico is having another referendum in November to figure out their status. It'll be interesting since, unlike the other referendums, this one is divided into two parts. In the past voters were asked if they wanted independence, statehood, or to keep the status quo. This time they are asking a yes or no on whether they want to keep things as they are. The second question asks whether they'd prefer independence, statehood or 'free association'. So if 'no' wins question #1, they go with the result of question #2.

The two referendums in the 90's, which weren't split, statehood narrowly lost out, with 46% voting in favor of statehood. With the two questions on the ballot it is entirely likely that we may see a 51st state soon. It would be the 29th largest state with 3.7 million people, slipping in between Oklahoma (3.9 million) and Connecticut (3.5 million). It could send six members to the U.S. House and alter the dynamics of the Senate with its two seats.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I think it's likely we'll have the 51st state because the Republican-affiliated pro-statehood party is currently in power there.

Comment

• That's going to screw up your flag
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          I've only been to Starbucks once and I was not impressed.
          Starsmuck's sells way over priced crappy coffee plus they burn their beans because most of their money is made in mixed coffee drinks (coffee mixed with other stuff like lots of milk) so they try to be cheap, over roast their beans, thinking that means they can put less coffee in it and still have that coffee taste in the mixed drink. It just tastes like burnt coffee. Just like 20 years ago the best coffee is found in the small mom & pop shops which roast their own beans and do custom blends. They're all over most large cities though you can be S.O.L. in smaller towns or rural areas.
          Last edited by Dinner; April 9, 2012, 08:52.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• IIRC a sizeable portion of Puerto Rico's population also lives on mainand USA.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
              Why can you not bend down...I manage it perfectly fine?
              It's not a requirement for OCS, so Speer doesn't know how to do it.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                Jon, I thought you were Canadian...you know, based on your sig?
                I am hoping that when I ask for PR they will give it to me instantly!

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• 7. What can a policeman do to you if he sees you walking down the street? Let's say you have no ID on you.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Do you plan on living in Arizona?

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                      That's going to screw up your flag
                      It wouldn't be tooo bad:

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                        7. What can a policeman do to you if he sees you walking down the street? Let's say you have no ID on you.
                        That's pretty vague.

Policemen here don't give a **** about people walking down the street as it is not a prohibited activity.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                          7. What can a policeman do to you if he sees you walking down the street? Let's say you have no ID on you.
                          Most states nothing. They will sometimes try to pull a fast one by saying "let me see your ID" hoping you just hand it to them but legally you don't have to hand them anything unless they have probable cause. The ACLU had a video on this and they say to not hand it to them and to simply ask "Is there a problem officer?" because if you stick to your guns their is little they can do. Be polite but don't let them go fishing; they used to pull this BS on black people just to see if there were any outstanding bench warrents which is illegal unless the cop had probable cause for something else but the courts ruled the guy have voluntarily handed his ID over when the cop demanded it instead of the cops unlawfully stopping him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                            That's pretty vague.

Policemen here don't give a **** about people walking down the street as it is not a prohibited activity.
                            In Arizona you can be stopped if you look hispanic but the courts will toss out that racist law also in some southern states there is a history of doing this to black people especially if they were in a white neighborhood "where they don't belong". That wasn't decades ago either but in the last 5 years or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              Starsmuck's sells way over priced crappy coffee plus they burn their beans because most of their money is made in mixed coffee drinks (coffee mixed with other stuff like lots of milk) so they try to be cheap, over roast their beans, thinking that means they can put less coffee in it and still have that coffee taste in the mixed drink. It just tastes like burnt coffee. Just like 20 years ago the best coffee is found in the small mom & pop shops which roast their own beans and do custom blends. They're all over most large cities though you can be S.O.L. in smaller towns or rural areas.
                              In the good part of the country (Oregon/Washington/etc), there is a small coffee stand for every 100-500 people...

Yes, that means that wide places in the road with a gas station generally have a coffee stand.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• A word of advice, onodera: Oerdin doesn't know **** about Arizona or southern states or their laws or how the cops operate there. Just in case you hadn't picked up on that by now (which would surprise me).
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X