Do Brits drink iced tea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Brits drink iced tea?

I've heard that they disdain the stuff on the other side of the pond. Is this a basic matter of cultural preference, like the warm-beer thing, or is it just that warm, sunny days are less common in relatively cold and rainy Britannia? Or is it something that used to be true, but isn't now (or was it never true)? Me, I've got a big ol' pitcher of the stuff handy.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

No, we don't really do iced tea. As for beer, we wouldn't accept warm lager, but real beer shouldn't be served chilled anyway.

Comment

Wikipedia says iced tea makes up about 85% of all tea consumed in the US.

Though the Southern stuff isn't even tea. More like tea-flavored sugar.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

dp
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

That doesn't surprise me. It's become very popular, and I think it's a healthier choice than soda.

Comment

So I guess we could make a thread why don't Americans drink hot tea?
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

We could probably just cover that here.

Comment

I drink hot tea. Very nice, cheap, healthy. No sugar or cream in my tea, please.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I drink some hot tea, and I think I should increase my intake. I typically drink green, black, or genmaicha, but I also have red or white tea on occasion.

Comment

..and there we have the difference. Over here tea doesn't usually come in colours.

Comment

Yes, we know, you like your tea as fermented as your grain.

Comment

Meh, I can't stand the stuff anyway. Coffee for the win.

Comment

That goes without saying.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            ..and there we have the difference. Over here tea doesn't usually come in colours.
                            Really, I've seen lots of different tea colours around the UK.

I don't drink tea or coffee at all though.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                              Really, I've seen lots of different tea colours around the UK.
                              That stuff does exist, but if someone asked if you wanted a cup of tea, and you said 'yes please, I'll have a red one' they'd certainly look at you funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X