Urge to play SMAC rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urge to play SMAC rising

I haven't played SMAC in years, although I do think I have the game on CDs at my mom's house.

Currently I just have OS X. Is there a way I can purchase and play SMAC easily/cheaply? Unlike most games without a base IP, it did a good job of capturing me (like EVE, but unlike say Rift). It was also a very fun game, and not too similar to the similar games that came before/since.

I see that there were versions for Linux and OS 9, but neither are really similar to OS X and both are hard to acquire now.

Will they ever make a SMAC 2?

JM
    (I also joined forums for the first time to talk about SMAC, the owo forums.)
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

cheap/easy but windows only
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Just remember how bad the AI is, the urge will subside.

Comment

Does it play in Windows 7? I've been wanting to play it again, too.
        I don't know what I've been told!
        Deirdre's got a Network Node!
        Love to press the Buster Switch!
        Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Yep, the planetary pack works fine under win7.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Woot!

The Expansion pack wouldn't work when I tried it on XP, but the original one did.

Comment

Is it just the Planetary Pack that works, or would Alpha Centauri Complete work? The Amazon page says it does, but I'm not sure I should trust that.

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7 View Post
                Is it just the Planetary Pack that works, or would Alpha Centauri Complete work? The Amazon page says it does, but I'm not sure I should trust that.
                Alpha Centauri Complete is a post-Planetary Pack release, so it SHOULD work. I'd be surprised if it does not, as the sale page includes Windows 7.

Comment

I thank you very much.

$5.00 is much better than $30 or $50, but I've been wanting to play it a lot lately.

Comment

Got the "Sold out Software" Edition of Smac+Smax. Works on W7 without Problems

the GoG Version sadly misses the Expansion :/
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Probably silly question: What is GoG?

Have Sold Out Software's Alpha Centauri Complete coming, much to my excitement. Glad to hear it does work. I was, however disappointed to find read the Spartans win the war in the first book, which I just found out existed. Cost me less than $2.00, so I got it, though the sequels are considerably more expensive.

Comment

Good Old Games (or gog.com) has SMAC, not the expansion.
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I got my copy on amazon for $2.99. Sold Out Software. Less than an Ice Cream Cone.

My secret plan: buy a copy for all my friends for Christmas.

Edit: $6

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Czar View Post
                            I got my copy on amazon for $2.99. Sold Out Software. Less than an Ice Cream Cone.

My secret plan: buy a copy for all my friends for Christmas.

Edit: $6
                            I got mine, including Alien Xfire from Sold Out Software too, very good deal. Currently running unders Windows 8 64 bit, no problems at all, just clicked game and it worked.

Comment

It's odd that no one talks about SOS selling X much anymore. I'd been reminded about GoG a lot recently, due to the sale, but I'd completely forgotten about Sold Out.
                              AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                              JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                              X